Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Queensland's F1 Bid

I don't know, Bernie loves Magny Cours for some reason and apparently that's out the back of beyond in France. But, again, population density.

Good point Jonny. But that's some of the reason Magny Cour's time on the calendar is limited.

Ok so why can't they keep the most expensive race infrastructure in place in Melbourne all year around... (in an effort to make it cheaper)

Albert Park is just that a park. The public of Melbourne enjoy the lake the couple of sporting fields the park atmosphere in general. To have the barriers and grandstands ect ect all in place all year round just would not work, nor would the general public who use the park ever allow it. The Grand Prix Corporation has enough problems against the greenies to hold the race once a year let alone keep the race track in tact all year round.

But back to infrastructure I was more meaning the accommodation the places to go out with friends to have dinner and a good time the Airports ect ect. Bathurst has nothing. You couldn't expect the high flying corporate backers to stay in the local Bathurst pub / hotel room with no mod cons.

Suggestion 1. Phillip Island with Investment.

Suggestion 2. Eastern Creek with Investment... Its already been brought upto A1GP Specs, which is a grade lower then F1.

Suggestion 3. Nationally funded F1 spec racetrack. (wishful)

But back to infrastructure I was more meaning the accommodation the places to go out with friends to have dinner and a good time the Airports ect ect. Bathurst has nothing. You couldn't expect the high flying corporate backers to stay in the local Bathurst pub / hotel room with no mod cons.

I would love to see the F1 drivers sleeping at the Bathurst Inn :D

Albert Park is just that a park. The public of Melbourne enjoy the lake the couple of sporting fields the park atmosphere in general. To have the barriers and grandstands ect ect all in place all year round just would not work, nor would the general public who use the park ever allow it. The Grand Prix Corporation has enough problems against the greenies to hold the race once a year let alone keep the race track in tact all year round.

Here is a old thread which shows what Albert Park looks like when the formula 1 isnt in town

http://www.totalf1.com/forums/index.php?sh...4&hl=albert

Yeah, I know you can drive on it when the track's not set up for races - my cousin went round there on the back of a motorbike and said it was scary enough at 60km/h, let alone 300.

Thanks man. Not so much a fan of yours.

Speaking of Australian GP - it's my first next year. Are Grand Stand tickets worth it? I can only really afford general admission. Is the view any good?

Thanks man. Not so much a fan of yours.

Speaking of Australian GP - it's my first next year. Are Grand Stand tickets worth it? I can only really afford general admission. Is the view any good?

Not a fan of Kimi, the sig or both. It's not the best but thought it worthy to celebrate the WDC win for Kimi :D

I would go with General admission and work out from there where you want to sit the following year. I know Jez is going and I will be in the Jones Grandstand as per the last 4 or so years - same seat.

general admission is very hard to get a decent spot... There are a few hidden gems around the track but generally people discover them. Grandstands can be worth the money if you get the right spot. I tend to find that the slower corners are actually the best because you get to see the cars a lot better.

I didn't go last year, but for many years I would be situated in the stand on the last corner of albert park. I forgot the name, but if you can manage to get yourself in the right section of the stand its a very good view because you get to see them coming round the tight 2nd last corner, and then around the last corner, and then you can see them fly all the way up the main straight. Also a television screen situated directly opposite in perfect view.

Yeah that's Picquet stand. I was gonna go there but I cant afford it. Oh well, GA for me.

yeah it is a lot of money. Its definately great to go see the cars in action, but once you have been a few times it is very hard to justify the amount of money for a grandstand seat. Thats why i didn't go last year, realised I would enjoy watching it at home just as much and save myself money. Of course if i was offered free tickets i would jump at the chance of going though

I've fallen in love with this sport and now they want to take it away from me. :unsure:

Anyway if it is to move, anywhere but NSW thanks.

To throw out an idea, upgrade Calder Park with a track circuit!

To throw out an idea, upgrade Calder Park with a track circuit!

I was jokingly about to say that myself.

They do already have working lights, on the drag strip at least. But then the nimrods who built their houses just outside the back gate would probably be sooking about the noise if they tried to run a night race.

Being a drag racer from way back I'd rather shoot myself than show Bob Jane any support in anything he tried to do, so I think I'd have to hold a one man protest if that idea was actually brought up.

I say bring back dangerous, wonderful old F1 Adeliade with its huge kerbs, high speeds and close walls.

:thbup:

That or Bathurst, yeah I'm dreaming.

Another wild rumour.

Gold Coast move for Aus GP?

With the news of a massive debt from the 2007 Australian Grand Prix, talk has moved to the race being moved to Northern Australia after Melbourne

Id be happy to see the formula 1 at Surfers Paradise as it is a reasonably nice track. Its like Monaco with overtaking.

Yeah that's a great track, and we could compare laptimes between Champcar and F1.

Yeah that's a great track, and we could compare laptimes between Champcar and F1.

Indeed...that'd be nice, since last time we got a comparison was in Montreal with the old Lola that is much slower than the new Panoz...however, one must remember, CCWS has Power-2-Pass, so that'd help the lap times...

However, with Monaco, Singapore, and Valencia...just how many more street circuits with bodies of water in view do we really need?

Well, as Albert Park is a street circuit with a view of a body of water, so it would hardly tip the balance if the race moved to the GC.

Well, as Albert Park is a street circuit with a view of a body of water, so it would hardly tip the balance if the race moved to the GC.

Correct.

I always forget Albert Park and Montreal are street circuits.