Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Dc Urges More Cockpit Protection

Thursday, 05, April, 2007, 14:22itv-f1.com

David Coulthard has urged Formula 1's Technical Working Group to consider improved c#ckpit protection in the aftermath of his frightening accident with Alex Wurz in the Australian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver admitted fault after colliding with Wurz, but added that the incident raised safety concerns when his car became airborne and narrowly missed the Austrian's head when it careered across the front of the Williams.

According to sources within Williams, Coulthard's car missed Wurz's helmet by less than two inches.

"I think it highlighted just how at risk the driver can be in that kind of situation," said the Scot.

"I never obviously imagined that I would crash into Alex and if I was silly enough to start that manoeuvre thinking that was going to happen I would never imagine I would come across the top of the c#ckpit missing him by a very small amount

I was thinking the same thing. I think it would look rather cool :D

It might, but then you'd have to worry about the entrapment issue.

That might be a problem if they were in a WW2 Spitfire but im sure modern technology would be able to find a way to open the canopy quickly and easily.

That might be a problem if they were in a WW2 Spitfire but im sure modern technology would be able to find a way to open the canopy quickly and easily.

I was thinking of if a car was engulfed in flames, or it was overturned and resting on the canopy. I guess you could smash the canopy and the roll bar would still prevent the driver from getting crushed.

But then you have to figure out how to make it strong enough to protect from a huge impact but still be able to smash it to get the driver out.

I dunno, I'm going to bed.

Would he also have a eject button?? to fly up when anyone touches his car....

Would he also have a eject button?? to fly up when anyone touches his car....

I like the way your thinking :D Maybe they should equip some heat seaking missiles to each F1 car :eusa_think:

Quick solution: Drive smarter, DC.

Indeed, it s interesting how some DC fans would suggest that he is a driver of the old school, when he is as bad as the other whiner in the Girly Pedestain Drivers Association.

more than that, cooling the insides of the canopy would be a bigger problem, in place like malaysia and bahrain, the driver would be roasted!

That video has always annoyed me as Schumacher is the one with the history of driving for teams which cheat.

That video is not abt cheating.... it is abt schumi being too good for dc even with the extra help dc still losses to the turtle...lol...

That video is not abt cheating.... it is abt schumi being too good for dc even with the extra help dc still losses to the turtle...lol...

But when has DC EVER received extra help when he is battling against Schmuacher?

Some would call having a car two seconds faster a bit of help :what:

2 seonds is a HUGE exaggeration. Also by the middle of the year the Ferrari was just as quick. So lets add this up. Coulthard had a faster car in 1998 while Schumacher had a faster car in 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

2 seonds is a HUGE exaggeration. Also by the middle of the year the Ferrari was just as quick. So lets add this up. Coulthard had a faster car in 1998 while Schumacher had a faster car in 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

not another my pee pee is bigger than yours comparison! if coulthard was good enough to win a world championship, he would have done it with mclaren. you don't stay at Mclaren for 8-9 years!!!!! and not end with a world championship. something is wrong about that!

either that or schumacher was just too bloody good in his ferrari

not another my pee pee is bigger than yours comparison! if coulthard was good enough to win a world championship, he would have done it with mclaren. you don't stay at Mclaren for 8-9 years!!!!! and not end with a world championship. something is wrong about that!

either that or schumacher was just too bloody good in his ferrari

Coulthard has the record of most races with McLaren and we all know McLaren is a great team. If Coulthard wasnt a good driver then McLaren would not have employed him for 9 years. Apart from Schumacher at Ferrrai no driver has spent so much time with one team.

Coulthard has the record of most races with McLaren and we all know McLaren is a great team. If Coulthard wasnt a good driver then McLaren would not have employed him for 9 years. Apart from Schumacher at Ferrrai no driver has spent so much time with one team.

ah! thank you for stating the obvious! thank you for agreeing with me

Thursday, 05, April, 2007, 14:22itv-f1.com

David Coulthard has urged Formula 1's Technical Working Group to consider improved c#ckpit protection in the aftermath of his frightening accident with Alex Wurz in the Australian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver admitted fault after colliding with Wurz, but added that the incident raised safety concerns when his car became airborne and narrowly missed the Austrian's head when it careered across the front of the Williams.

According to sources within Williams, Coulthard's car missed Wurz's helmet by less than two inches.

"I think it highlighted just how at risk the driver can be in that kind of situation," said the Scot.

"I never obviously imagined that I would crash into Alex and if I was silly enough to start that manoeuvre thinking that was going to happen I would never imagine I would come across the top of the c#ckpit missing him by a very small amount

Hakkinen had no problem winning two world championships in a McLaren. Had Schumacher been in the McLaren in them years theres little doubt he'd have won numereous world titles for sure.

Oh and Schumacher being the one with the history of driving for teams which cheat? Thats funny, cheating must have been first brought into the sport in the early 90s then? Catch a grip man.