Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shane2

Crappy Directors

It really is about time that the FIA started making it so that F1 shows are controlled by directors that have a clue about F1. It really annoyed me sitting there seeing Kubica's onboard when Massa, Kimi, Alonso and Hammy where all within a couple of hundered meters of each other setting quick laps.

Opinions folks?

I tend to agree with your statement. Maybe they should look at taking a director with the circus like they did with the head steward (?) to promote consistency in all the races. Someone with a real in-depth understanding of the sport.

It really is about time that the FIA started making it so that F1 shows are controlled by directors that have a clue about F1. It really annoyed me sitting there seeing Kubica's onboard when Massa, Kimi, Alonso and Hammy where all within a couple of hundered meters of each other setting quick laps.

Opinions folks?

They don't know what they are doing, they just see cars out there and they get the image that looks better to them and that is not only in this race you are watching a good fighting on track and suddenly they change to lonely car on track and when they get back to the fight is to see the replay of whatever happend before because they missed it.

They don't know what they are doing, they just see cars out there and they get the image that looks better to them and that is not only in this race you are watching a good fighting on track and suddenly they change to lonely car on track and when they get back to the fight is to see the replay of whatever happend before because they missed it.

Yup allways happens, even though sometimes commentators ask if the director will change to the fight , the director doesn;t

It really annoyed me sitting there seeing Kubica's onboard when Massa, Kimi, Alonso and Hammy where all within a couple of hundered meters of each other setting quick laps.

You're right but there IS some logic in it. if there was no ralf's car at first corner Kubica would have appeared on the top spot. Then cut to Massa and Alonso who beat him and Kimi who don't.

So it could be very spectacular.

After Kubica lost more then a second on first corner, however, they should switch to something else. There was no way he's going to have good lap time , and no time to get fresh rubber.

Yup, its very very poor, they could at least hire someone to to go every event and sit with the director, who knows the top drivers/teams, to aid them with their job.

Shame they dont have more onboard shots, but not at a time like that!

This race was actually through FOM I believe, so they're supposed to pick good directors - when it isn't FOM we generally get those directors who focus on THEIR driver, but the race was much better. We need more of the action, no matter what position it is. If P1-P4 aren't close, go to a position that is. Think about all the cars you can't remember seeing this race... if we saw just 30 seconds more of those it would be more interesting as the commentators could talk about the different drivers and how their races are going. We saw the Super Aguri overtaking a Toro Rosso - isn't that more entertaining than watching a Mclaren going into the distance?

There would be more interest in the drivers and teams further down the field and would add a whole new angle to F1, pity it is yet to be tackled properly.

As for qualifying, I think the graphics should have names who are currently going faster than their previous lap in a different colour. This may also help the director to tell where they should be looking.

Opinions folks?

All races are directed by FOM this year. And I like on boards.

There is a time to use them and a time not to, and when 4 cars in a short stretch of tarmac are battling for pole that is absolutely a time not to.

Opinions folks?

I agree with you, but at the same time they cant do much about it. It must be a big havoc, since its all live, it is really difficult to pinpoint. For example, if there is some accident, we may get to see it only after a couple of seconds, since they were showing some other action (driver battle). But to be honest, I am very happy with the star tv coverage/commentry. Their commentry is much better than many others out there.

guys the reason the focus was on kubica is because he is a Sauber driver.. The Malaysian GP has always focused on the Sauber team i believe because the main sponsor for Sauber is Petronas (Malaysian Oil giants) and they happen to be the main sponsor for the Malaysian GP as well so i guess although its crappy and stupid they still do it to keep the sponsors happy by giving their car a good deal of air time ....

There is a time to use them and a time not to, and when 4 cars in a short stretch of tarmac are battling for pole that is absolutely a time not to.

Firstly, i totally agree with your frustration, i was shouting at the television as loud as the next man. Stepping back though, if you'll allow me to play the devil's advocate for a moment, it must be incredibly difficult to always be where the action is at the right time, all the time. As a director, presumably you are faced with a wall of screens to choose from.

Martin Brundle is particuarly incisive. He reads the race better than most. Therefore he normally sees what's going to unfold based on data before the director does.

Don't get me wrong, some directors need to be better informed about Formula One generally, that much is plain. But i think that these incidents crop up so infrequently that it isn't worth creating a big fuss over, maybe just a small one.

Thinking back, i can laugh now; waving my fist and shouting expletives at the television increased the sense of excitement to what was already a great race.

I don't disagree with you, it may not be an easy job a lot of the time, but I cannot complain about the race coverage that was pretty good.