Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Fastest Laps - Malaysia 2007

1. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes - 1:36.701

2. Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes - 1:36.861

3. Felipe Massa Ferrari - 1:37.199

4. Kimi R

interestign that both ferraries are almost half a sec. slower than Mclaren...how much faster were they in Melburne???

interestign that both ferraries are almost half a sec. slower than Mclaren...how much faster were they in Melburne???

1 second but rumoured to be really .8

Goes to show you how ultimate pace and race pace have no correlation

what do you mean? mclaren had the fastest lap of the race and also won, same went for ferrari in melbourne.

what do you mean? mclaren had the fastest lap of the race and also won, same went for ferrari in melbourne.

Unless your at the front you dont have the freedom to show raw pace, due to others being infront and strategys to try and not have someone infront.

Going flatout is rare in F1, qualifying with fuel adjustment is the best bet.

Yet the guy who set the fastest lap did not win...

They mean very little.

unlike Melbourne these fastest laps mean nothing.

Ferrari were clearly quicker in Australia and the times proved that. But in Malaysia, Ferrari were still the quicker of the two. Its just that with Massa's poor start and Hamilton absorbing the pressure, there was nowhere for Ferrari to go. Malaysia is hardly an overtakers paradise. Not that many opportunities to get your car alongside the opponent's and pull off a move.

Had Massa gotten away cleaner you'd see a fastest lap by a Ferrari. Lewis Hamilton frustrated him into making a mistake and from then on it was all about playing catchup. The clearly faster Ferrari couldn't even get past Nick after the short excursion into the grass indicating that the grid position after the start had a huge bearing over way the race would end.

So they mean something in one race and nothing in another? Rubbish. They are always extremely limited in the picture they create.

I still like to see the times, even though they don't give very much information at all. :lol:

The reason for Ferrari being slowlier is, that Kimi's engine horsepower was reduced. Next race he will have a new engine, and the gap will be same as before.

Lovely word, my friend! And I agree with you, at least in that Kimi's lack of horsepower compared to Felipe explains why he was a little slower. Felipe threw away that advantage.

Indeed. Massa proved me right, after I've said he was becoming overrated after last season... Rookie like mistake today and was nowhere after it.

Nice to see Sato putting Davidson in his place again, even after a terrible start that put him 4 places behind him.

Yet the guy who set the fastest lap did not win...

They mean very little.

there is very little difference between the drivers. the fastest laps obviously have a lot of meaning, they show which car has the best race pace. today they show that mclaren was teh fastest car, followed by ferrari, bmw and renault. they show that honda are lagging and that red bull are also behind the game despite webber's excellent qualifying performances. i don't think that can be argued with.

So they mean something in one race and nothing in another? Rubbish. They are always extremely limited in the picture they create.

of course they are limited but to say they mean little is to belittle their significance. they are still significant and i am sure lewis is very proud to have recorded the fastest lap

Dude, its not that hard to wrap your mind around it. Try.

In Australia, Kimi zoomed off into the distance and in no way spoiled any of Alonso's or Hamilton's laps. On the other hand, after the start, while Alonso extended his lead lap after lap, Massa and Kimi were stuck behind Lewis when they could have set much faster laps. The Ferraris were all over Hamilton's rear and he was clearly slower.

In Australia, Kimi zoomed off into the distance and in no way spoiled any of Alonso's or Hamilton's laps. On the other hand, after the start, while Alonso extended his lead lap after lap, Massa and Kimi were stuck behind Lewis when they could have set much faster laps. The Ferraris were all over Hamilton's rear and he was clearly slower.

Only massa until he made a beginners mistake...Kimi couldnt get close to LH....not even at the end of the race...

Only massa until he made a beginners mistake...Kimi couldnt get close to LH....not even at the end of the race...

According to Kimi, that's because he was playing it safe due to the many engine problems they had :o Wait a minute...that means he played again conservatively!!! Must be a mistake somewhere...because we all know that Kimi is all about balls and not about saving the engine like dull Alonso.

This week gonna be fun! :lol:

Kimi was close throughout until the pitstops. Lewis didn't lose him. Kimi was playing it safe and didn't make the stupid mistake Massa did.

Either way, had Massa started better, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

According to Kimi, that's because he was playing it safe due to the many engine problems they had :o Wait a minute...that means he played again conservatively!!! Must be a mistake somewhere...because we all know that Kimi is all about balls and not about saving the engine like dull Alonso.

This week gonna be fun! :lol:

indeed! :clap3:

Kimi was close throughout until the pitstops. Lewis didn't lose him. Kimi was playing it safe and didn't make the stupid mistake Massa did.

Either way, had Massa started better, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Well, either way, massa had a chance to pass LH and NH and was not successful. Up until now the only thing that he showed is that he knows how to drive fast and balanced car but is uneable to pass.

Kimi on the other hand...he is destroying his toys...so we can expect a conservative drive every 2nd race.

The reason for Ferrari being slowlier is, that Kimi's engine horsepower was reduced. Next race he will have a new engine, and the gap will be same as before.

Typical. Raikkonen loses and his fanbois start the excuse train on its course to talkingcrapville. Even Ferrari admitted the pace of McLaren took them by surprise. The reality of the matter however is Raikkonen simply had a mediocre race, neither ferrari was fast enough and they got beaten. If the engine was damaged it would have been replaced, no reduction in RPM would have prevented it blowing.

I'm quite clearly no 'dude' thanks. Sorry that you have to resort to silly digs to try and make a point.

I don't want to know the ins and outs of a race I have watched and you've just highlighted one variable - traffic. I'm saying over any race, fastest laps have little significance. There are so many variables that they become invalid and picture they create between team mates is just irrelevant in most cases. Every race there is going to be a 'could have been' faster lap that was ruined by traffic, tyres or problems for several drivers.

Those saying it shows which teams are faster - you don't need fastest laps to tell you that hence they have little signifance.

I'm not arguing how significant they are to a driver, I'm saying they have little use to us in trying to make conclusions from them.

there is very little difference between the drivers. the fastest laps obviously have a lot of meaning, they show which car has the best race pace. today they show that mclaren was teh fastest car, followed by ferrari, bmw and renault. they show that honda are lagging and that red bull are also behind the game despite webber's excellent qualifying performances. i don't think that can be argued with.

Did you need the fastest laps to draw those conclusions though? :eusa_think:

Did you need the fastest laps to draw those conclusions though? :eusa_think:

Clearly the fact of the matter is that McLaren bought new parts to the car in Malaysia whilst Ferrari had the same car they raced in Melbourne. We know that McLaren are slightly better at putting development into action and evidently it worked very well. I wouldn't expect to see a McLaren driver on the top step of the podium for Bahrain though.

Maybe seeing the best 5 laps of each driver gives us a bit more information on what happened yesterday, on the real pace of each driver, the consistency of their best times etc...

FA

1:36.861

1:36.921

1:36.961

1:36.997

1:37.062

LH

1:36.701

1:37.257

1:37.453

1:37.579

1:37.651

KR

1:37.228

1:37.479

1:37.481

1:37.539

1:37.584

FM

1:37.199

1:37.691

1:37.728

1:37.791

1:37.835

Clearly the fact of the matter is that McLaren bought new parts to the car in Malaysia whilst Ferrari had the same car they raced in Melbourne. We know that McLaren are slightly better at putting development into action and evidently it worked very well. I wouldn't expect to see a McLaren driver on the top step of the podium for Bahrain though.

Exactly why Alonso wanted to drive for them.