Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kay

Bahrain Race Thread

Good race, happy for Massa, needed that win, ITV are p**sing me off, I think Massa turned down the rev's on his engine, ITV were still thinking that Hamilton would pass Massa...

Isn't Massa the number 1 driver for Ferrari, as Mass has the number 5 car, while Raikkonen has number 6. That would mean Massa is the number 1 driver.

Not really. He has the number 1 car because he was in the team before raikkonen, but that doesn't necessarily mean hes gonna get the benifit of team orders like schumi did.

And you HAD to bring back THAT overtaking move, right? <_<

Well DC taking Kova(am not sure when that happened wasn't shown on chinese) was not better thus the fisi move was got out....

Not one to complain and then sit doing nothing:

Lewis Overkill

It appears this weekend we couldn't go a couple of minutes without hearing about Lewis Hamilton. While I understand he's doing extremely well, I can no longer support him because I feel sick to death with hearing about him. I know I am not alone in this, so do you realise if anything you will take support away from Lewis?

We rarely see positions below 6-7 and instead it would be nice if the commentators could keep us up-to-date with how the race is going for other people, there are 22 drivers out there not 1.

So many times talk of other drivers is cut short to cut to Lewis's dad, is this necessary? Surely comments from Alonso or even team personnel are more important than a relative? Sure it is nice for his dad that he is doing so well, but it is crazy.

I know this will probably not go further than the first person who reads it, like previous e-mails which I've heard little back from, but I feel if I don't express my view then I have no right to expect anything to change.

I hope the ITV team acknowledge these e-mails, as I'm sure there will be many and if they feel they are unreasonable perhaps someone should do a count of how many times Lewis Hamilton was mentioned.

I have noticed from speaking to others, that the support of Jenson has increased since ITV stopped mentioning him left, right and centre. Now Hamilton has had his first few races, isn't it time to wind down a bit?

Kind Regards,

Kay.

After the Bahrain race finished I turned off the TV, the after-race show is pointless cos all they talk about is Hamilton & its boring

I can imagine it now

"Lewis Hamilton is on the track, but we cannot update you on his progress because people are demanding that we stop talking about him"

Its not the race coverage thats the problem, its before & after the race. I'd like to see insights into other drivers & teams, not just constant interviews with Ron Dennis about Hamilton, an interview with Alonso and they ask him about Hamilton, interview with Lewis's Dad etc

Not one to complain and then sit doing nothing:

Lewis Overkill

It appears this weekend we couldn't go a couple of minutes without hearing about Lewis Hamilton. While I understand he's doing extremely well, I can no longer support him because I feel sick to death with hearing about him. I know I am not alone in this, so do you realise if anything you will take support away from Lewis?

We rarely see positions below 6-7 and instead it would be nice if the commentators could keep us up-to-date with how the race is going for other people, there are 22 drivers out there not 1.

So many times talk of other drivers is cut short to cut to Lewis's dad, is this necessary? Surely comments from Alonso or even team personnel are more important than a relative? Sure it is nice for his dad that he is doing so well, but it is crazy.

I know this will probably not go further than the first person who reads it, like previous e-mails which I've heard little back from, but I feel if I don't express my view then I have no right to expect anything to change.

I hope the ITV team acknowledge these e-mails, as I'm sure there will be many and if they feel they are unreasonable perhaps someone should do a count of how many times Lewis Hamilton was mentioned.

I have noticed from speaking to others, that the support of Jenson has increased since ITV stopped mentioning him left, right and centre. Now Hamilton has had his first few races, isn't it time to wind down a bit?

Kind Regards,

Kay.

We have to realise the significance and the impact Lewis has made....already. He's the first black driver, he's broken records, he's kept Alonso, Massa and Kimi at bay, cool head under pressure. He's on his way of becoming the next Tiger Woods of motorracing. Extraordinary achievement to date, regardless if he stepped into a top team or not. He is though, the perfect component for the media to concentrate on, not only ITV. It's not his fault everyone is mentioning his name, or making this huge fuss about him. Maybe our mindset that the commentators might be mentioning him too much is already dictating negative "pictures", and as Shane said, I have'nt really notice it that much. Let's all be civil about the "hype", and take all matters into consideration.

We have to realise the significance and the impact Lewis has made....already. He's the first black driver, he's broken records, he's kept Alonso, Massa and Kimi at bay, cool head under pressure. He's on his way of becoming the next Tiger Woods of motorracing. Extraordinary achievement to date, regardless if he stepped into a top team or not. He is though, the perfect component for the media to concentrate on, not only ITV. It's not his fault everyone is mentioning his name, or making this huge fuss about him. Maybe our mindset that the commentators might be mentioning him too much is already dictating negative "pictures", and as Shane said, I have'nt really notice it that much. Let's all be civil about the "hype", and take all matters into consideration.

Everything else apart, I don't get the European/American fascination about "black" athletes in sport. I think its more a legacy of their not so friendly colonial past towards people of African origin which forces them to adopt a very sympathetic/apologetic stance over any "off colour" athletes that enter any predominantly "white" sport. If you really must give the skin colour any consideration, then Narain Karthikeyan has been the darkest F1 racer in history, yet no one called him special for being "brown" or "black" or "yellow" or "purple"......

let his talent speak for himself and stop making those "black driver" references....I guess the same argument holds for Tiger Woods, the williams sisters in tennis etc etc....

let his talent speak for himself and stop making those "black driver" references....I guess the same argument holds for Tiger Woods, the williams sisters in tennis etc etc....

with due respect.... Lewis Hamilton is black, wether we like to stipulate it or not. He's the first black driver to enter the sport and this is quite significant, given the past F1 has. I am coloured, golden brown I might add, and pretty much proud of it. I am from a country that has steep history in racism, and to the day still has, no matter what pretty pictures we paint to the "outside world". If we acknowledge these differences and the struggle he has to go through, it will bring more understanding to the significance Hamilton brings to the makeup of present F1, and give his tremendous achievements up to now further weight, he has so much pressure to cope with. The world is'n nice, and don't expect it to be nice when we avoid who we are.

This is my opinion, and it will not be changed!

with due respect.... Lewis Hamilton is black, wether we like to stipulate it or not. He's the first black driver to enter the sport and this is quite significant, given the past F1 has. I am coloured, golden brown I might add, and pretty much proud of it. I am from a country that has steep history in racism, and to the day still has, no matter what pretty pictures we paint to the "outside world". If we acknowledge these differences and the struggle he has to go through, it will bring more understanding to the significance Hamilton brings to the makeup of present F1, and give his tremendous achievements up to now further weight, he has so much pressure to cope with. The world is'n nice, and don't expect it to be nice when we avoid who we are.

:clap3:

I like your posts more and more...too bad you like Kimi and Ferrari but hey, nobody's perfect :P

I'm with stopkidding, the black references are pointless and annoying. Who cares?

only when it's impact is required.... You don't hear me babbling on it in almost every other thread

There is no impact required, there is no sane person in the world who would say that a black person is incapable of driving in F1. I hear the same crap from the media in my country day after day, instead of black, it is 'person of Indian origin'. Who gives a f$%k?

Speak for yourself :P

Says the guy who's favourite driver has a bigger chin than most people's foreheads :P

There is no impact required, there is no sane person in the world who would say that a black person is incapable of driving in F1. I hear the same crap from the media in my country day after day, instead of black, it is 'person of Indian origin'. Who gives a f$%k?

While it is true that some races are better at particular sports than other races it is not the case in formula 1. There is no reason why one race would have a advantage over another race of people in a formula 1 car.

Says the guy who's favourite driver has a bigger chin than most people's foreheads :P

You wouldnt want to punch Coulthard's chin as his chin would be fine and you would have a broken hand. That is a advantage in my books :D

No, I most certainly wouldn't :P but I would personally be more scared of the thought of him getting p**sed off and chinning me one :P

Would certainly help him in a fight

Why not? In this same Forum many people (most women included) thought that women were incapable of driving an F1 car. the lack of black people in F1 was not a coincidence, as it was not in pre-Tiger era golf. There are still lots of people that give a **** about your race, sex or religion. Is good to underline when someone of a different race/sex/religion can make it into one of these "sancta-sanctorums" for white males. It is not needed to boast it as if it was a miracle, because that paternalistic approach ("he is black yet he is brilliant") sounds to me as a subtler form of racism, as if the person saying that would think "wow, DESPITE being black he is brilliant". :lol: Typing these things at work is hard. I must sound very confusing, well...hope you get my point!

Women and men are physiologically different. White men and black men and other coloured men aren't.

Of course they are! Rumours about 'once you've had black, you never go back' don't surface for nothing, you know! :lol:

Everything else apart, I don't get the European/American fascination about "black" athletes in sport. I think its more a legacy of their not so friendly colonial past towards people of African origin which forces them to adopt a very sympathetic/apologetic stance over any "off colour" athletes that enter any predominantly "white" sport. If you really must give the skin colour any consideration, then Narain Karthikeyan has been the darkest F1 racer in history, yet no one called him special for being "brown" or "black" or "yellow" or "purple"......

There actually hasn't been that much said about Lewis' ethnicity over here as far as I've noticed. Having said that, I'm glad Lewis is black. F1 has been a white-dominated sport for too long but more importantly there are lots of problems in black communities (eg in Britain young black men are twice as likely to be in prison than university!), many of which imho stem from a paucity of good, successful role models, especially male ones. Tiger Woods and Lewis Hamilton are both great role models, along with people like Thierry Henry. Most footballers, whether black, white or indigo, are poor role models and moreover football somehow has a different image than golf or F1. These latter sports, for me, represent wealth, privilege, respectability and acceptance into mainstream society far more than football.

Karty, Sato et al are treated differently because they got into F1 on the back of being non-white, whereas Lewis' talent justifies his place entirely. In fact, he's the only non-white person I can think of in the history of F1 who had any real talent.

There actually hasn't been that much said about Lewis' ethnicity over here as far as I've noticed. Having said that, I'm glad Lewis is black. F1 has been a white-dominated sport for too long but more importantly there are lots of problems in black communities (eg in Britain young black men are twice as likely to be in prison than university!), many of which imho stem from a paucity of good, successful role models, especially male ones. Tiger Woods and Lewis Hamilton are both great role models, along with people like Thierry Henry. Most footballers, whether black, white or indigo, are poor role models and moreover football somehow has a different image than golf or F1. These latter sports, for me, represent wealth, privilege, respectability and acceptance into mainstream society far more than football.

Karty, Sato et al are treated differently because they got into F1 on the back of being non-white, whereas Lewis' talent justifies his place entirely. In fact, he's the only non-white person I can think of in the history of F1 who had any real talent.

I think sportspersons make poor role models. Moreover, the talk about black role models for black kids is chronic to the whole isue, and to ghettoization and isolation of communities. Jenson Button should be as much of a role model to black kids as a Lewis Hamilton. Black kids don't need black role models, that is just paying lip service to an obsolete concept. There is nothing left to prove, the race issue is dead. It is time to live accepting that, talk like this merely drive us backwards, not forward.

You're right that Button should be as much of a role model, but I think many black kids will see things differently. Likewise, whilst I agree that sportspersons don't make good role models, they are adopted as role models by kids the world over. That's the only reason I think they can serve a useful purpose, not because it's ideal.

(PS Was Fangio Hispanic or White, anyone?)

you are entitled to you opinion, and i won't argue about it. I was merely pointing out how odd such references sound. I consider Hamilton to be a very talented driver. In all likelihood he would have turned out just as good had he been from a similar "white" background...

thats all about that topic...