Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_Fast_Days

Hakkinnen Says Shumi Could Return!

Apr.20 (GMM) Mika Hakkinen ruled out returning to formula one but said his friend, former rival and fellow multiple world champion Michael Schumacher could be back on the grid in "two or three years".

The Finn, who left the sport at the end of 2001 but is today a Mercedes-Benz racer in Germany's DTM touring car series, recently tested for his former team McLaren, but to the newspaper 'Welt' played down speculation that he could be preparing to return to F1.

38-year-old Hakkinen, however, insisted that he thought the similarly-aged Schumacher would probably find it as hard as he did to lose the desire to simply race.

"It will take him two, three years before he starts to think about coming back," Mika, who recently appeared on a TV tribute for Schumacher's career alongside the German and gifted him a unicycle, predicted.

Hakkinen also raced a go-kart with Schumacher on the tribute show and had arranged a personalised plaque for his unicycle which read: 'To Michael -- my great rival and friend'.

Referring again to seven time world champion Schumacher, he said: "I believe formula one would not be the only option open to him -- perhaps he would also think about DTM, or something else.

"Racing is racing."

Hakkinen insisted that a few years of retirement would not make it impossible for a former driver to return to the pace, even in formula one.

"With talent, experience and above all ambition, it can be done," Mika added.

Source: http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/arti...eback/view.html

Discuss :rolleyes:

Its possible that in afew years Schumacher could return to one of the many touring car series in the world as those drivers can race up until the age of 60. DTM is the most likely destination but i cant comment any further as my knowledge of DTM is rather limited.

if he does race again in whatever category he will be watched intensely around the world and will be expected to thrash everyone straight away. So i think he'd do better to not continue racing. I expect he will race again though, it seems pretty clear that he never actually got bored of racing cars like for example Damon Hill did

the thing is, where will schumi actually go if he returns?

Wherever he goes, all his fans will go and watch so that series will become a overnight success....

Well I just hope it is not F1. Any other series I can avoid watching him.

Well I just hope it is not F1. Any other series I can avoid watching him.

Don't worry, he won't be back in F1. We couldn't have two people beating Fernando up.

Don't worry, he won't be back in F1. We couldn't have two people beating Fernando up.

You mean three maybe 4 right (Kimi, hammy, massa(maybe) and schumi?)

What the hell is Mika thinking?? Schumi was an F1 Legend & won 7 world titles! He's done enough in his career & there's a very slim chance he's gonna come out of retirement!

Its nothing to do with Alonso, I don't want Schumacher back because I hate his guts. Alonso proved that he was more than a match for Michael last year.

Its nothing to do with Alonso, I don't want Schumacher back because I hate his guts. Alonso proved that he was more than a match for Michael last year.
Are you for real??? Last season was'nt Schumi's best but there's no need to hate him! He's 1 of the best ever F1 racers in it's history! Even the biggest Alonso fan would think Schumi's a legend!

Are you for real??? Last season was'nt Schumi's best but there's no need to hate him! He's 1 of the best ever F1 racers in it's history! Even the biggest Alonso fan would think Schumi's a legend!

Have you not seen his reasons to hate Ferrari??

There is a very big difference between saying you dislike someone and saying they aren't good. I know he was a very good driver, I just have no respect for people that cheat in sport.

There is a very big difference between saying you dislike someone and saying they aren't good. I know he was a very good driver, I just have no respect for people that cheat in sport.

Sums up quite nicely my opinion about MS, too.

You mean three maybe 4 right (Kimi, hammy, massa(maybe) and schumi?)

:lol::lol::lol::thbup:

I , a Michael Schumacher fan , hope that Mika is wrong. I want Schumi to return next year itself & beat the rest of the field six ways to Sunday.

Im hoping to become Emperor of the Universe next year so thats good timing.

Seems I agreed with Mika too soon. Here's cold water:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=31215

Michael Schumacher says he is content to be out of

Formula One, and though, for the first time since

1991 his weekends are free, he has no problems

filling his time.

"I'm a pretty happy man," he told reporters at a

Shell promotional event in Poland. "I live a good

life. I have had good times in the past, but I

certainly have better times now. That's very

clear.

"I spend more time at home now. I can draw my

schedule in a way that at least in the holiday

times I can be at home and spend the vacation with

the kids. That is very nice for us.

"But I'm still very close to the racing," he

admitted, "and involved with almost everything

that's happening."

Although working as an 'adviser' to Ferrari he has

yet to attend a race this season, instead he

watches from the couch, like regular fans.

"It's funny, but it's normal," he laughed.

"Watching is interesting, seeing it from a

different side. But I'm not looking at it to learn

something, it's not my ambition. I'm looking at it

just to enjoy it with my family and my friends

together, and enjoy the event as you do."

Attach bait, cast off, smile at catch.

Stupid fish.

You are about as funny as a stomach haemorrhage

Not really, unless you are a sick sadist.

You are about as funny as a stomach haemorrhage

Wow, another sprat. I might fish this part of the river some more.

*dribbler watches as "Week of excuses" thread floats gently away down the river*.

If people take digs at me, I will take them back. Pretty simple really.

*dribbler sees the distress in the sprats eyes and throws him back in the water for another day*.