Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Baseball Caps Stopped Schumi Joining Mclaren!

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has revealed just how close he came to luring Michael Schumacher away from Ferrari at the end of the 1990s.

Schumacher was repeatedly linked with McLaren before his run of championships with Ferrari began, and in an interview published in this month's F1 Racing magazine (on sale tomorrow), Dennis has admitted that only 'peripheral financial issues' prevented a deal going ahead.

"He and I met in Monte Carlo quite a few years ago, specifically to discuss the possibility of his joining the team," said Dennis.

"That meeting followed an informal chat we

Ron Dennis also offered Damon Hill a race drive for 1998 but on the basis that he would only get paid whenever he won a race. Interesting fact of the day!

I'm sure Schuey wont regret the way it all turned out, now that he has 7 titles to his name!

So Michael wanted to drive for Ron and Ron wanted Michael, but as two intelligent grown men with excellent management and advisors they couldn't reach an agreement?

I do believe Ron is being discreet.

He's said all this on record before, but it is nice to see it again. Will shut up all those "Michael would never race with an equal teammate" people.

He's said all this on record before, but it is nice to see it again. Will shut up all those "Michael would never race with an equal teammate" people.

The only way you would silence those people is if Michael had gone up against an equal team mate, someone like Mika. Aswell as Ron not telling the full story it could have very well been one of the reasons Michael didn't sign.

There must be more to it than that, I think Baseball caps are an unlikely reason for a driver to refuse to drive for a team.

There must be more to it than that, I think Baseball caps are an unlikely reason for a driver to refuse to drive for a team.

Well, it all depends how big business and income is that.

The only way you would silence those people is if Michael had gone up against an equal team mate, someone like Mika. Aswell as Ron not telling the full story it could have very well been one of the reasons Michael didn't sign.

Interesting thought, Steve. I tend to think that Michael, like many sportsmen at the top of their game, doesn't have it in his 'make-up' to worry unduly about his peers. I think it makes them what they are, to a certain extent.

Interesting thought, Steve. I tend to think that Michael, like many sportsmen at the top of their game, doesn't have it in his 'make-up' to worry unduly about his peers. I think it makes them what they are, to a certain extent.

I'm sure you're right. Michael probably thought that he was the best and as a result wouldn't have feared comparison. The point is though, Michael created enviroments to maximize his potential and i'm sure that included securing team mates who were containable.

I'm sure you're right. Michael probably thought that he was the best and as a result wouldn't have feared comparison. The point is though, Michael created enviroments to maximize his potential and i'm sure that included securing team mates who were containable.

That is the most reasonable explanation for MS and his teamates.

Seeing as most of the team and its high ranking personnel where put in place directly or indirectly by schumi it stands to reason he would have been slightly favoured. And I still call BS on the claims that he was forced out

Seeing as most of the team and its high ranking personnel where put in place directly or indirectly by schumi it stands to reason he would have been slightly favoured. And I still call BS on the claims that he was forced out

Jean Todt was the conductor of the orchestra. Michael was only favoured because his solos were better than the other violinists. Everyone had the same strings and the same violins. Michael stayed behind to rehearse for longer.

I disagree that Michael 'feared' having an equal team-mate, he wouldnt have had any say in Eddie Irvine's joining of the team (they both joined at the same time in 96), and Ferrari signed Barrichello in 1999 when Barrichello looked like being possibly 1 of the best drivers in F1 at that time. In 2000-2005 Rubens was no match for Schuey, team orders or not.

Looks more like Schuey demanded to Ron that his mclaren cap would have Deutsche Worvengrgsighikgsbbgaw or whatever it is, and Ron said go shove it, its West logo or nothing!

I simply don't buy that. Both McLaren and Schumacher made more than enough money to care about a stupid little cap franchise

Jean Todt was the conductor of the orchestra. Michael was only favoured because his solos were better than the other violinists. Everyone had the same strings and the same violins. Michael stayed behind to rehearse for longer.

He would also watch other violinists if they could play a particular section better than him, to see how they did it.

I simply don't buy that. Both McLaren and Schumacher made more than enough money to care about a stupid little cap franchise

I guess we'll never know, but I doubt it is to do with team-mates, Schuey would've known full well at that time that his team-mate would've been Hakkinen, if he was scared of Hakkinen he wouldnt have talked to Ron in the first place.

Perhaps the cap issue was just one in a number of reasons

I guess we'll never know, but I doubt it is to do with team-mates, Schuey would've known full well at that time that his team-mate would've been Hakkinen, if he was scared of Hakkinen he wouldnt have talked to Ron in the first place.

Perhaps the cap issue was just one in a number of reasons

Maybe McLaren just didn't do caps big enough to fit his head?

It is not just baseball caps probably, all the other products as well i think. Might also be question of principle -- Dennis wanted control and Schumacher freedom.

Maybe McLaren just didn't do caps big enough to fit his head?

:lol:

You can bet that Willi Weber had as big a part to play in the outcome as Michael and Ron.