Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zdzisio

Mechanical Grip And Performance Of F1 Car

Here is little something that I have found on the net, and in fact that "something" is somebody else writing about something that has been found somewhere on the net. :)

I know this reasoning has some flaws, but my question is: what do you think?

What are best cars in terms of mechanical grip?

How much are the differences between the cars affecting their performance?

Is it really making that big difference?

Taken from: http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s491/st115217.htm

BMW Sauber car the most stable & with best grip? By Jaime M. - April 21 2007

After doing some research and analyzing certain infos, I have found some interesting comments related to the BMW SauberF1 car, that can make us believe that it is the car with best mechanical grip and stability, and with the best qualities when following another car.

That

That was quiet interesting actually, hard to say if it is totally true, but with Monaco just round the corner, we shall soon see.

I think the argumentis flawed. Mechanical grip is different to how well a car runs behind another car. In fact mechanical grip only comes in to the equation at speeds under 100mph. runnign well behind another car is a case of aero sensitivity.

I think the point the quote is trying to make is the BMW works well in distrubed airflow, something its designer Rampf alluded to at the launch.

Scarbs

My technical knowledge is zilch. So I hope my question can be pardoned , if it sounds foolish.

If BMW has the maximum grip ,does it mean that they will be the strongest when traction control is banned?

My technical knowledge is zilch. So I hope my question can be pardoned , if it sounds foolish.

If BMW has the maximum grip ,does it mean that they will be the strongest when traction control is banned?

Labradoracer,

You're not far wrong, although how good traction will be after the ban is also dependant on the engines power delivery.

Note: Mechanical grip not only covers traction out of corners, but braking into them and grip going around them.

>

^ Improving mecanical grip can be done by:

- a type of suspensions either passive (hydropneumatic, hydrolastic, hydragas) or active that can follow the road properly;

- slicks

- widetrack (the old 2.00 meters vs. the 1.80 of today)

- banning the flat bottom witch makes the cars sensitive

>

^ Improving mecanical grip can be done by:

- a type of suspensions either passive (hydropneumatic, hydrolastic, hydragas) or active that can follow the road properly;

- slicks

- widetrack (the old 2.00 meters vs. the 1.80 of today)

- banning the flat bottom witch makes the cars sensitive

:lol: Sorry, but I 've been reading your latest posts and all of them keep saying the same on different threads. And you even make the effort to type it every time as none of them is just a copypaste!

No offense meant here as I welcome your input very much, and I agree with many of your points. I just found it funny when I realized I was reading the same thing over and over again, explained in differentg ways!

Here's a question for you ro whoever could answer it: Which was the average budget for a team during each of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s decade? Just a thought that keeps running in my head when we talk about bringing back the slicks and getting rid of TC and driver aids.

:lol: Sorry, but I 've been reading your latest posts and all of them keep saying the same on different threads. And you even make the effort to type it every time as none of them is just a copypaste!

No offense meant here as I welcome your input very much, and I agree with many of your points. I just found it funny when I realized I was reading the same thing over and over again, explained in differentg ways!

Here's a question for you ro whoever could answer it: Which was the average budget for a team during each of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s decade? Just a thought that keeps running in my head when we talk about bringing back the slicks and getting rid of TC and driver aids.

I know it's copy paste. But they're all conected and reduced to the same fundamental flaws.

The budgets were lower 60s/70s vs. 80s/90s/today, but were bigger in the 1930s (relative to inflation) with techno marvel silver arrows.

So since birth of the GP cars, we've had:

- mega teams with big budgets of MB and AU

- the raggs/poverty years 50s/60s/70s of low/lower costs

- return of the mega teams with big budgets from the 1980s on

I don't have figures, but I know the costs have spiraled for decades and the measures/many to reduce costs by banning technology have had the exact opposite effect.

And regardless if we talk of the decades, from a technological point there was always a division those who have it/technological edge and those who don't (mid-engine, monocoque, ground effects, turbos, carbon fibre, active suspensions).

And unless the have nots implemented these they'd be left in the dust.

Mind you, I said it is NOT copypaste. At least to me it seemed that every one of the post was written for that specific thread.

ABout the budgets...that's what I thought. Ok, I will make a new thread about it because it is not specifically centered around mechanical grip.

Mind you, I said it is NOT copypaste. At least to me it seemed that every one of the post was written for that specific thread.

ABout the budgets...that's what I thought. Ok, I will make a new thread about it because it is not specifically centered around mechanical grip.

me too...

hell by know i know most of things u want....

Simple, I want:

Faster (and safer) cars and a (far) better spectacle.

Don't we all ?!

Nahh you have a bit of longer list...

like no tc, no aids, slicks, no ground effects and on and on.....

but that would be a nice one line summary....

but do you really want it to be safer? i just want the speed

Nahh you have a bit of longer list...

like no tc, no aids, slicks, no ground effects and on and on.....

but that would be a nice one line summary....

but do you really want it to be safer? i just want the speed

Safety yes as I don't want people to be injured and killed. Formula slaughterhouse days are hpefully over.

Besides, define driver aids witch you do not want and ways to trully police them ...

And don't give this ban non-sense, cause that's not enough, just crapysfull thinking favoring the (big) teams with the best hidden aids.

Ground-effects ... so you don't want extra performance, safety and overtaking ?!

Because this can help big time.

Safety yes as I don't want people to be injured and killed. Formula slaughterhouse days are hpefully over.

Besides, define driver aids witch you do not want and ways to trully police them ...

And don't give this ban non-sense, cause that's not enough, just crapysfull thinking favoring the (big) teams with the best hidden aids.

Ground-effects ... so you don't want extra performance, safety and overtaking ?!

Because this can help big time.

Don't misunderstand me.... i am not saying your wrong... i agree with the things you say(or atleast the parts which i understand)... Anything to improve overtaking and the overall race....

Even i don't want poeple to be killed... but only the german gp this year was exiticing and awesome, just because a lot of unexpected things happened... hell a spyker lead the race for a while, i would like every race to be like that and not just 1 or 2 in a season....

>

^ Well Montreal was also a good race. And you saw a Super Auguri overtaking a McLaren, due to tire graining.

I couldn't watch Montreal was on a flight but i was really p**sed of after monaco last year was a very good race but this year the race had only one overtaking by BMW that too due t pit strategy....