Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

F1: Briatore Wants Gp Format Shakeup

Renault F1 team principal Flavio Briatore believes Formula 1 should consider a major overhaul of its weekend format as a means of enhancing its popularity.

Ahead of a likely overhaul of the F1 calendar in future years, with Abu Dhabi, South Korea and India seemingly set to be added to the schedule, Briatore believes the time has come for the sport to accept an injection of fresh new ideas for race weekends.

Flavio wouldn't be saying this if Renault were still leading in the points.

Why Autumn, you almost sound like everybody in F1 has their own agenda, or that they would chop and change their minds as to their situation.

A touch cynical isnt it?

Why Autumn, you almost sound like everybody in F1 has their own agenda, or that they would chop and change their minds as to their situation.

A touch cynical isnt it?

:lol: Indeed!!

Flavio wouldn't be saying this if Renault were still leading in the points.

Wasent he in favour of limited milage testing and the whole GPMA fairness for everyone stuff when they where winning back to back titles?

I know Symonds was atleast and wouldnt be afraid to call for a more level playing field while being the ones to beat.

I think a GP2 style weekend could suit F1. Sure its alot harder to overtake but the major problem is more if overtaking is worth the risk rather then if its possible and shaking up grids GP2 stlye gives that incentive to take the risks.

We wouldnt need to "spice" up the show if cars could overtake each other.

The flaw is definitely in the car design.

Why not consider the removal of all greeblies or introduce a "hanford" style rear wing?

They should bring back slicks, and things that aren't effected by the wind at all (or at least as much as the current aero bits)

What about Skirts? They'd still work when following another car I imagine. Get rid of some of the flip ups and whateverthehelltheyarecalledits and surely that'll make overtaking a lot more possible, whilst not making the cars much faster (if at all).

I'm not in favour of changing the format, I think the weekends are finally working really well, right from the Friday all the way to the end of the Sunday. The 2 sessions on Friday have more action now they don't effect engines, and qualifying seems to have the thumbs up from just about everyone FINALLY. Why is there always a need for change in F1? They changed qualifying a bucket load to bring it back to something close to what it started out as.... Same for practice really.

Do we want overtaking to be simple in F1 though?

Thought F1 was ment to be the pinicale of motorsports where nothing is easy. All they need is to be put in a position where they need to get by the person ahead and are right ontop of them so you got some fireworks Not just overtaking is the key in F1, its how its done. Like putting pressure on the person infront so they make a mistake and you can overtake or defending so well the driver behind makes the mistake.

Overtaking in F1 now is massively admired because of the skill and subsaquent rarity, making the cars a since to overtake with will just cheapen the sport.

I don't think it should be made easy at all, just make it possible.... The only way past these days seems to be down a massive straight where you're in the slipstream the whole way, and that really doesn't take that much skill.

I hear all the reasons above, but I've watched F1 for so long that there are certain parts of it that I would not want to change. The basic format being one of those things. Qualify on Saturday, race on Sunday. Save the entertainment 'tricks' for the lower series. We all know that gutting the electronic driver's aids, bringing back slicks, bringing back manual gear changes and knocking all the greeblie wings off the chassis will solve all the current problems of F1. We need no format change.

Idea 1: Get rid of people like bernie that put financial gratification above the sport

Idea 1: Get rid of people like bernie that put financial gratification above the sport

Then you'd have to get rid of all the team principals as well.....

Not really, the team principles are the racing people, the CEO's are the corporate faces to the team

Do we want overtaking to be simple in F1 though?

Thought F1 was ment to be the pinicale of motorsports where nothing is easy. All they need is to be put in a position where they need to get by the person ahead and are right ontop of them so you got some fireworks Not just overtaking is the key in F1, its how its done. Like putting pressure on the person infront so they make a mistake and you can overtake or defending so well the driver behind makes the mistake.

Overtaking in F1 now is massively admired because of the skill and subsaquent rarity, making the cars a since to overtake with will just cheapen the sport.

What F1 wants, or needs, is overtaking to be possible without the car trying to overtake needing to be 2 or 3s a lap faster, in the majority of cases. I understand what you're saying about not wanting overtaking to be too easy, but I wouldn't say that's a situation that's prevalent at the moment. However, what you never see these days is cars overtaking then getting the place taken back off them, etc - once a car overtakes another, it's pretty much off into the sunset. Not all the time, I grant you, but fairly regularly.

I hear all the reasons above, but I've watched F1 for so long that there are certain parts of it that I would not want to change. The basic format being one of those things. Qualify on Saturday, race on Sunday. Save the entertainment 'tricks' for the lower series. We all know that gutting the electronic driver's aids, bringing back slicks, bringing back manual gear changes and knocking all the greeblie wings off the chassis will solve all the current problems of F1. We need no format change.

Agreed to all of those, Mike and I would like to have steel brakes too.

Thats right!, make the braking distances longer, give people the chance to outbrake someone over a greater distance.

Thats right!, make the braking distances longer, give people the chance to outbrake someone over a greater distance.

Yup.

What F1 wants, or needs, is overtaking to be possible without the car trying to overtake needing to be 2 or 3s a lap faster, in the majority of cases. I understand what you're saying about not wanting overtaking to be too easy, but I wouldn't say that's a situation that's prevalent at the moment. However, what you never see these days is cars overtaking then getting the place taken back off them, etc - once a car overtakes another, it's pretty much off into the sunset. Not all the time, I grant you, but fairly regularly.

:thbup:

F1 doesn't need any weird race/qualifying system to make it interesting!

I think in all the above talk we can see the real problem. F1 should not be a show, it should be racing but Burnie and Max have made it a show. What really needs to happen is that F1 has to get rid of rediculous restrictions like the 2 race engine rule.

(As an aside, The 2 race rule was introduced to curb costs. Last year with Friday counting toward that rule Renault brought 5 engines with them. one for each car and 3 replacements. This year them have brought one for each car and 8 replacements/test engines for each race.)

cant we all just agree that 95% of the rules that were changed in the last 10 years have been bad for the sport?

As soon as Schumi turns 45 and decides to drive in GP Masters I have to start watching that