Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Spare A Moment For Gilles

In my view, Gilles was one of the three greatest drivers to ever hustle an F1 car around a track. On this, the 25th anniversary of his death, I ask everyone to go to youtube or metacafe or google movies and watch at least one clip of Gilles. Here's a good article from Formula1.com (be sure to check out their photo tribute as well).

Formula1.com

This Tuesday marks the 25th anniversary of the death of Gilles Villeneuve, a driver widely regarded as one of the greatest talents Formula One racing has ever produced. Between 1978 and 1981 Villeneuve took six victories for Ferrari. He passed away on May 8, 1982 after crashing in qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. By way of a tribute, we take a look back at what many remember as the French-Canadian

:rip::byebye::ferrari::frusty::furious:

Hey. There's no general toast emoticon... They're all celebratory! :angry2:

Okay, I had to wait for Mike's permission to post this. Sorry for the crappy image quality, and you may or may not have seen this elsewhere, BUT IT'S ON MY WALL NOW! :D And no, this photo isn't of the painting's permanent spot.

gilles_painting_ol.png

Sadly I'm too young to have seen Gilles drive and have fond memories of him, but from what I hear and read from people that I respect, I too hold him in high regards with them and consider him one of the all time greats.

So on this the 25th anniversary of his death I spare a thought and give time for reflection.

RIP Gilles, you will never be forgotten :(

Sadly I'm too young to have seen Gilles drive and have fond memories of him, but from what I hear and read from people that I respect, I too hold him in high regards with them and consider him one of the all time greats.

So on this the 25th anniversary of his death I spare a thought and give time for reflection.

Same here...

My thoughts exactly. I watched some youtube footage and read the article about him on F1.com. what a legend!! I've changed my signature to mark this 25th year since his death. RIP Gilles -_-

I too am unfortunate enough to have not been around to watch his greatness unfold. It would have been amazing. I can still remember the first time I saw the video of Gilles' battle with Arnoux. I sat there in utter amazement. He was a true racer if there ever was one.

I am one of the fortunate ones who does remember seeing Gilles "fly" around the track.

Sadly though... I was also one of the unfortunate ones that had to witness the tragedy of his passing.

I "think" though... that if Gilles had to choose how to pass on to the next life... he probably got his wish.

Cheers Gilles

Yes, unfortunately for me, Gilles passed away just prior to me getting really interested in F1, so I never really saw him race 'live' as it were.

Thank heavens for Gilles and people like him, who through their talent make the world just a bit brighter.

Going by what I have read about Gilles, he does come across as something exceptional. A pity his life was cruelly snatched away depriving fans of his artistry.

It's unfortunate that I haven't had even a look at a single video clip of him racing. Hope to do it soon.

I was looking forward some info about Peugeot/LeMans/JVilleneuve and I found the following videos regarding Jacques at Goodwood 2004 talking about and driving his father first Ferrari (1979

Gimme some real racing at the circuit named after the legend! Bring on the Canadian GP!!!

montreal.jpg

john-ketchell-on-the-limit-gilles-villeneuve-1978-canadian-grand-prix-ferrari-312-t2-paper-pr.jpg

I never knew there was 2 big lakes running thru the circuit! Even though it is on an island separated from Montreal!

I never knew there was 2 big lakes running thru the circuit! Even though it is on an island separated from Montreal!

It is a beautiful track with the lake in the centre making it look much like Albert Park. The lake to the right hand side is a rowing lake that the Montreal Rowing club use.

One of my favourite tracks of the year.

I wonder if the "Wall of Champions" will claim the only Champion on the grid. Watch out Fernando!!!

It is a beautiful track with the lake in the centre making it look much like Albert Park. The lake to the right hand side is a rowing lake that the Montreal Rowing club use.

One of my favourite tracks of the year.

I wonder if the "Wall of Champions" will claim the only Champion on the grid. Watch out Fernando!!!

Whats the wall of champions?

No need to answer that, I read about it at wikipedia-

The 1997 Canadian Grand Prix was stopped early due to a huge accident involving Olivier Panis. Panis spun off and broke his legs. He was sidelined for nine races and some see it, unfortunately for Panis, as a turning point in the career of the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix winner. In 1999, the final corner of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve became well-known for catching out former World Champions. Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve all crashed into the same wall which had the slogan Bienvenue au Qu

I was trying to find some footage of the "Wall of Champions" on youtube but I can up with nothing sorry mate :(

I was trying to find some footage of the "Wall of Champions" on youtube but I can up with nothing sorry mate :(

No worries, thanks for trying. I read Peters Windsors thoughts about that particular corner in this article from ITV.com. Theres a bit of Hami worship at the end, but still an interesting read-

[Why has a relatively simple chicane at the final turn in Montreal caused so many big names to embarrass themselves over the years?38721_1.jpgActually, I think it