Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

What's The Thing On The Visors Of Helmets?

I have often seen the F1 racers peeling off some plasticky sheet off their helmet visors. What purpose do the sheets serve? Why is it peeled off after some time into the race?

Visors tend to get pretty mucky over a race from oil and small debris. So drivers peel off a layer if they need cleaner vision

I have often seen the F1 racers peeling off some plasticky sheet off their helmet visors. What purpose do the sheets serve? Why is it peeled off after some time into the race?

I think they call them tear-offs and several ( a few ? - I don't actually know how many they have) are placed over the visor. During the course of the race as the oil, grime, etc builds up, the strip can be torn off so that the driver's vision is restored.

Edit: Jez beat me to it.

Visors tend to get pretty mucky over a race from oil and small debris. So drivers peel off a layer if they need cleaner vision

Ah ,it's clear now! Thanks.

yeah they're called tear-off strips, in fact on F1 97 for the playstation, if u race in the driver's-eye view, the muck builds up on your visor and you have to press a button to tear off the tear-off strip!

you quite often see drivers tearing them off whilst cruising down the pit-lane having made a stop, about to re-join a race

I think they call them tear-offs and several ( a few ? - I don't actually know how many they have) are placed over the visor. During the course of the race as the oil, grime, etc builds up, the strip can be torn off so that the driver's vision is restored.

Edit: Jez beat me to it.

yeah they're called tear-off strips, in fact on F1 97 for the playstation, if u race in the driver's-eye view, the muck builds up on your visor and you have to press a button to tear off the tear-off strip!

you quite often see drivers tearing them off whilst cruising down the pit-lane having made a stop, about to re-join a race

Thanks to you too, Paul & Jem.

Really? I dont think that happens on F1 05. Dammit, that sounds cool!

what a great game :)

I loved the tear-offs in F1 97! Best part of the whole game for me.

On a side note, I made the mistake once of using these at night. Any bright light (street light, headlight, etc) reflects back and forth between the layers, so you see 5 or 6 of whatever it is you're looking at. Very disconcerting.

Really? I dont think that happens on F1 05. Dammit, that sounds cool!

It was a great game. The difference between that and the very first was huge. Such an improvement hasn't happened in the same way since.

On a side note, I made the mistake once of using these at night. Any bright light (street light, headlight, etc) reflects back and forth between the layers, so you see 5 or 6 of whatever it is you're looking at. Very disconcerting.

That wil be interesting for F1 night races..... :unsure:

That wil be interesting for F1 night races..... :unsure:

I have a feeling the drivers will opt out of the tear-offs for night races, unless they've improved the design somehow. The ones I had were during the late 80's.

I have a feeling the drivers will opt out of the tear-offs for night races, unless they've improved the design somehow. The ones I had were during the late 80's.

I heard Max wants the drivers to have electric wipers on their visors! :P

The drivers may choose to run Yellow visors to help prevent glare from the lights.

I wonder if all this night race crap is to go ahead will Bernie put lights up at Paul Rickard at his own expense to enable teams and drivers to sample in a two or three day/night test, what they are going to be up against when it comes to the real thing a, GP weekend under lights????

Bernard wouldn't have thought about that would he, it would cost him money!!!

"What's The Thing On The Visors Of Helmets?"

I wonder if Albers was asking this same question when he forgot to turn his car at Melbourne......?