Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Is The Performance Of The Unfancied Ones For Real?

http://www.manipef1.com/news/2007/index.ph...&redirect=1

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen has suggested that both he and reigning world champion Fernando Alonso are suffering with the same problem in 2007. The highly rated pair have been conspicuously outshone by their junior teammates in recent weeks, leading to the bolstered profiles of Felipe Massa and Lewis Hamilton.

But Finn Raikkonen, who is 27, said ahead of the Monaco grand prix that the switch to the single tyre formula with Bridgestone this year has been difficult, particularly for those drivers with notably aggressive styles. Moreover, both Alonso and Raikkonen ran on Michelin boots last year, unlike Massa who was already at Ferrari, and the GP2 champion Hamilton.

Yes perhaps the more established stars will gradually come back to their normal performance.

But in Albers' case, I think he's just making excuses, Sutil does appear to be genuinely faster

I wonder if the Bridgestones are helping Rubens too.

I wonder how long it will take for kimi n alonso to get into grips. Shouldn't take long as they are very experienced

But in Albers' case, I think he's just making excuses, Sutil does appear to be genuinely faster

They're all making excuses, nothing justifies taking months to get used to new tyres, and claiming that rookies had an advantage is ridiculous. Albers is actually more straightforward - he actually admits his teammate's been faster. Can't see Alonso saying thatm for example.

I think its very true for Kimi, and to a lesser extent Alonso. Of course its an excuse, but its a somewhat valid one IMO.

I wonder whether this means we will see the tide turning after a few races.

I think that they are all a bunch of pussy's and full of excuses. If they know the problem, they should be able to adapt. Crying about it aint gonna help.

They're all making excuses, nothing justifies taking months to get used to new tyres, and claiming that rookies had an advantage is ridiculous. Albers is actually more straightforward - he actually admits his teammate's been faster. Can't see Alonso saying thatm for example.

Did you read that he said the tyres do not suit their driving style, that makes sense, no driver can suitch their driving style over night, that takes time, we all know what Kimi and Alonso are capable of, and we haven't seen that on track and as you know everything has a reason or a cause, and there got to be a cause for this, is not true that Massa is better or faster than Kimi and is not true that LH at this time is better than Alonso, so this makes perfect sense. if a driver has to change his driving style that will affect his performace al least for a time, for how long? nobody knows, some can do this faster than other, if a driver is trying to find a better set up like Kimi and alnso were doing instead of start changing his driving one day he will realize that there nothing he can do but changing his driving, meanwhile he is loosing time with the set up and blaming the car for this, that is why it takes months to adapt to new tyres so it is perfectly justified.

Did you read that he said the tyres do not suit their driving style, that makes sense, no driver can suitch their driving style over night, that takes time, we all know what Kimi and Alonso are capable of, and we haven't seen that on track and as you know everything has a reason or a cause, and there got to be a cause for this, is not true that Massa is better or faster than Kimi and is not true that LH at this time is better than Alonso, so this makes perfect sense. if a driver has to change his driving style that will affect his performace al least for a time, for how long? nobody knows, some can do this faster than other, if a driver is trying to find a better set up like Kimi and alnso were doing instead of start changing his driving one day he will realize that there nothing he can do but changing his driving, meanwhile he is loosing time with the set up and blaming the car for this, that is why it takes months to adapt to new tyres so it is perfectly justified.

I can't believe this moment would come some day but I must say I agree with you!

Repent, sinners! This must be a sign that the world is coming to an end! :lol:

yes, I agree, as you said, based on what we've seen I'm quite willing to believe that "excuse"/reason

I dont think top drivers tend to lie or find excuses, it is true that they both are struggling to get in terms with the car, they may have understood the way the tyres work, but they are slightly behind their respective team mates, but one must not forget that Lewis had been testing the Mclaren wearing Michelins during last season, not Bridgestones.

It is so easy to sit in a chair and type the comments we feel, it is difficult for us to find the reality some times, some guys here make comments on drivers as if he/she used to be a f1 driver. Just because I can drive a Corolla faster than an average Joe, dosesnt mean I can drive a Toyota F1 car as fast as Trulli. But I do think I can trash Ralf! :D

I dont think top drivers tend to lie or find excuses, it is true that they both are struggling to get in terms with the car, they may have understood the way the tyres work, but they are slightly behind their respective team mates, but one must not forget that Lewis had been testing the Mclaren wearing Michelins during last season, not Bridgestones.

It is so easy to sit in a chair and type the comments we feel, it is difficult for us to find the reality some times, some guys here make comments on drivers as if he/she used to be a f1 driver. Just because I can drive a Corolla faster than an average Joe, dosesnt mean I can drive a Toyota F1 car as fast as Trulli. But I do think I can trash Ralf! :D

My Gran could do that!

Sh#t, I think given another chance that Ide could give him a run for his money.

I don't think Kimi and Fernando have such a big problem.Just remember,they've won 2 out of 4 races.I don't see them behind Massa and Lewis.They'll come back(*evil laugh*)

Looking forward to Monacoooooo

So freakin what! Just because Kimi's so-called worse team mate is doing better than him does'nt mean he should be moaning like a bitch to the press about it! No wonder my Dad h8es him :angry::angry: !

http://www.manipef1.com/news/2007/index.ph...&redirect=1

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen has suggested that both he and reigning world champion Fernando Alonso are suffering with the same problem in 2007. The highly rated pair have been conspicuously outshone by their junior teammates in recent weeks, leading to the bolstered profiles of Felipe Massa and Lewis Hamilton.

But Finn Raikkonen, who is 27, said ahead of the Monaco grand prix that the switch to the single tyre formula with Bridgestone this year has been difficult, particularly for those drivers with notably aggressive styles. Moreover, both Alonso and Raikkonen ran on Michelin boots last year, unlike Massa who was already at Ferrari, and the GP2 champion Hamilton.

In a way kimi would be thinking that its good both he n alonso had to use bridgestones. If not alonso would have got michelins in his mclaren n kimi would be the underperformer

It's so obvious that Michelin is different from BS in the past races, and tyres are one of the key factors of winning.

Kimi is known as a no-complaining person and I think he is just answering the "What's wrong with Kimi" question raised by many "fans and experts". :eusa_think:

This is a factor that goes into assessing a driver's complete 'racecraft'. Can they adapt? I'll certainly rank those drivers that cannot adapt below the ones that can. I'll not make excuses for those who cannot adapt! Sink or swim, get a result or pull an excuse from the man with the hat (Fernando and Kimi, the line starts behind Albers).

I also don't buy Albers' argument that the rookies are somehow better suited to the new tyres. Hamilton and Sutil are both used to a pointy car that is shod with slicks (GP2). They both went from that to the current extremely low grip Bridgestones and Albers is expecting us to believe they will somehow cope better than him and Kubica and the rest who are going from a grooved tyre to another grooved tyre? Please.

My point in this is how long it takes to a driver to notice that he can not adapt the car/tyre to his driving style and understand that the only available solution is to adapt/change his drivng style to the current conditions new car/new tyres/new team?, we all heard about Ferrari and Mclaren talking about helping their drivers to improve trying to find the best possible set up for them, they were still doing this in the last test, by doing thet they are delaying the moment in which each driver have to take the decision to change their driving style instead of the set up of the car, it doesn't sound like and excuse to me, it sounds more like a reason but know we have to ask in the end who is responsible for this decision? it is the driver who have to take it by himself or is the team or engineer who have to take the decision for the driver to adapt to the car instead of adating the car to him?

My point in this is how long it takes to a driver to notice that he can not adapt the car/tyre to his driving style and understand that the only available solution is to adapt/change his drivng style to the current conditions new car/new tyres/new team?, we all heard about Ferrari and Mclaren talking about helping their drivers to improve trying to find the best possible set up for them, they were still doing this in the last test, by doing thet they are delaying the moment in which each driver have to take the decision to change their driving style instead of the set up of the car, it doesn't sound like and excuse to me, it sounds more like a reason but know we have to ask in the end who is responsible for this decision? it is the driver who have to take it by himself or is the team or engineer who have to take the decision for the driver to adapt to the car instead of adating the car to him?

Due to limitted testing it is not possible to adapt to a situation too quickly. It is not just tyres that make the difference, the whole car itself can make a difference, again it is difficult to get the right set up too quickly as the day and weather changes. In a race or two, we will see Kimi and Alonso in a better position. I dont know how good Massa can be in the next race as he has not had good ones there, but we will see Kimi and Alonso doing very well in that street circuit. Kimi almost won there last year with a mighty under-performing car. But, Forget the performance of God boy at your own peril, he has yet to finish below p1 there! :naughty:

Alonso couldnt even look at Hamilton after Barcalona, he was so upset!!!! He was acting like a five year old. Until he learns to give credit where credits due i wont give him any.

Alonso couldnt even look at Hamilton after Barcalona, he was so upset!!!! He was acting like a five year old. Until he learns to give credit where credits due i wont give him any.

What is with you guys? It is completely normal at Mclaren n Ferrari camp, why do you steer up that Alonso couldnt even look at Hammys face? May be its just that Alonso needed to have a bog or something he fled, then what do you think of Kimi? he left even before half the race went on.

Abbas, I think it's easier for most to look to the extremes, to paint a driver in harsh black or white, than to really see the shades of gray. Also, people are always wanting a hero and a villian. With JV and MS gone, the obvious villians are gone so now people are hunting for the next likely candidate, whether it's deserved or not.

This is a factor that goes into assessing a driver's complete 'racecraft'. Can they adapt? I'll certainly rank those drivers that cannot adapt below the ones that can. I'll not make excuses for those who cannot adapt! Sink or swim, get a result or pull an excuse from the man with the hat (Fernando and Kimi, the line starts behind Albers).

I also don't buy Albers' argument that the rookies are somehow better suited to the new tyres. Hamilton and Sutil are both used to a pointy car that is shod with slicks (GP2). They both went from that to the current extremely low grip Bridgestones and Albers is expecting us to believe they will somehow cope better than him and Kubica and the rest who are going from a grooved tyre to another grooved tyre? Please.

I already said all that, I was just more concise. <_<

(I agree)

Abbas, I think it's easier for most to look to the extremes, to paint a driver in harsh black or white, than to really see the shades of gray. Also, people are always wanting a hero and a villian. With JV and MS gone, the obvious villians are gone so now people are hunting for the next likely candidate, whether it's deserved or not.

Yeah, but some guys just seem to goof it up, just look what he typed in another thread about Massa.

"his tactics involve having no fuel to get pole and then barging any one out of the way who tries to overtake him. B4 Bahrain he said after he got pole, if Hamilton tries to overtake me i will crash into him. What does this tell you? That was the day i lost all respect for him."

http://www.totalf1.com/forums/index.php?sh...=8492&st=90

I have posted the links and also copy/pasted , as I want it you guys to read what he actually posted, just incase it is edited later.....I want you guys to read how far can one go to pull someone down!