Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newredsuit

Friday Practice

I probably shouldn't post a new topic to ask this somewhat stupid question but... why is there no Friday Practice at Monaco?

I probably shouldn't post a new topic to ask this somewhat stupid question but... why is there no Friday Practice at Monaco?

It is a custom for a reason i do not remeber. I think friday was for glamour or something. Practice is instead on thursday normally.

It's so people can use the roads on the Friday. They're trapped in for Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

It's so people can use the roads on the Friday. They're trapped in for Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

i guess that'll be the case for valencia and singapore next year

That didn't make sense at first, no I don't mean you're not right in what you say, but I was thinking wouldn't it be better to just have it shut for 3 days on the run, rather than shut 1 day, open the next, then closed for 2 days. Then I realised - it's to get the booze in before the race! :lol:

That didn't make sense at first, no I don't mean you're not right in what you say, but I was thinking wouldn't it be better to just have it shut for 3 days on the run, rather than shut 1 day, open the next, then closed for 2 days. Then I realised - it's to get the booze in before the race! :lol:

................and a fresh supply of hookers :naughty:

Thanks for clearing that up in such a precise and insightful manner. :D

But I thought Red Bull provided enough hookers?? re, Formula Una girls.

Isn't it something to do with Friday having a particular meaning? I forget now, but I'm sure there is a 'valid' reason someone has said in the past.

The race, currently the only Formula One race held in the centre of a town, is different in many ways from other Grands Prix. The practice session for the race is held on the Thursday preceding the race instead of Friday.[29] This allows the streets to be opened to the public again on the Friday. [wiki]

Wiki must have it wrong as other racing commences on the Friday so it isn't open for traffic, but traditonally the day has some kind of importance which meant F1 didn't go there on a Friday and they just kept with traditions.

I dunno. I tried looking for more suitable sources but I just couldn't find it... Now I'm curious :/

I dunno. I tried looking for more suitable sources but I just couldn't find it... Now I'm curious :/

I always wondered but never bothered to search for answers. I guess that is just the way it is and we have to live with it.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and info.

@Mika maybe this should be moved - how do I do this?

I found the answer!

Here: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/pub_hols.asp

"17 May Ascension Day (Thursday)" that would fall to the nearest Monday or Friday as explained so that would put Friday out, because the race is traditionally during this date.

So it isn't due to traffic, but a holiday and they decided not to change it when it doesn't fall on this date. :)

IIRC, There is (was) a Formula 3 race on the fridays, explaining why there is no "friday' practice.

I found the answer!

"17 May Ascension Day (Thursday)" that would fall to the nearest Monday or Friday as explained so that would put Friday out, because the race is traditionally during this date.

So it isn't due to traffic, but a holiday and they decided not to change it when it doesn't fall on this date. :)

Ahh now that makes sense! But I must admit I liked the booze and hookers reasoning.

Thanks

I found the answer!

I wouldn't be so sure...