Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Greatest Of All Time?

who is the greatest  

49 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Fangio
    • Moss
    • Brabham
    • G Hill
    • Clark
    • Stewart
    • Fittipaldi
    • Lauda
    • Piquet
    • Prost
    • Senna
    • Mansell
    • Schumacher
    • Hakkinen
    • Alonso
    • Raikkonen
    • Other (state)

i'll try again - been a while since this poll was done and i'm bored, and we have a lot of new members now, so who is the greatest!

No such thing, since you can't compare them.

Fangio, I choose as the drifter boy extraordinaire.

Clack the perfect neutral steerer = if car top notch, devastating against the drifter boys league.

Senna, great driver, perfectly fit to augmentated/enhanced by things active suspension, TC/LC, semi-automatic and so on to god like levels.

Schumacher/Alonso as the greatest packages.

Schumacher as the most succesfull packages.

Were are Tazio and Rosenmeyer ?!

it pains me to say it, but cheating german schummacher.

also if it were greatest start to a career it would be Hamilton.

Sorry guys, but considering Moss at the same level of Fangio...when he told eveyone and everywhere that Fangio aside a Gentleman was the greatest of all time...

My vote: 1 Fangio, 2 Prost, 3 Clark, 4 Schumi, 5 Senna, 6 Stewart, 7 Gilles.

Where's Nuvolari? Waht are Hakkinen, Alonso and Raikkonen doing up there? You should have put Button too, while you were at it. You had to sneak Mansell and Stewart in too? I mean really, come on. Fatsell, greatest driver in the world? haha

Where's Nuvolari? Waht are Hakkinen, Alonso and Raikkonen doing up there? You should have put Button too, while you were at it. You had to sneak Mansell and Stewart in too? I mean really, come on. Fatsell, greatest driver in the world? haha

So you consider that being a WDC doesn't make them likely candidates to be considered GOATs?

Yet you consider a guy that you NEVER watched except for some sparse footage in some documentary and that, strictu sense, never won an F1 championship???

By the way, because F1 changed so much, and because I really only saw "some sparse footage" from many of the legendary drivers is why I don't consider myself in position to give a vote. for one of them.

Partialy I agree with you this time.

I asked first were is Nuvolari.

As for Mansell I loved him in those days (1992), but I agree he was physicaly unfit (even by the standards back then) plus as opposed to Schumacher or Alonso his input to engineers on the car was zero (to my knoledge).

But what do you have with Stewart ?!

3WDCs and for a while had the record of most victories.

Sorry guys, but considering Moss at the same level of Fangio...when he told eveyone and everywhere that Fangio aside a Gentleman was the greatest of all time...

My vote: 1 Fangio, 2 Prost, 3 Clark, 4 Schumi, 5 Senna, 6 Stewart, 7 Gilles.

Yes he did, Argento, but then many drivers from that era had a bit of class and sportsmanship about them. I don't know myself because I haven't seen enough of that era, but my Dad's opinion is that Moss just shaded it on his all round driving ability, driving in other classes of racing. Fangio is reputed to have said 'I cannot judge what my eyes cannot see' when referring to non open-wheel racing.

So you consider that being a WDC doesn't make them likely candidates to be considered GOATs?

Yet you consider a guy that you NEVER watched except for some sparse footage in some documentary and that, strictu sense, never won an F1 championship???

There are plenty of WDCs, too many. He didn't win an F1 championship because there wasn't any. Performance in comparison to their peersis the most important. Hakkinen has 2-3 good years, the rest were poor, you need to be a bit more consistent to be on this list. Alonso's had two. Kimi's had well none, or maybe one.

Nuvolari - well there weren't many who culd even merit comparison at his time.

By the way, because F1 changed so much, and because I really only saw "some sparse footage" from many of the legendary drivers is why I don't consider myself in position to give a vote. for one of them.

That is precisely the reason I didn't vote either.

There are plenty of WDCs, too many. He didn't win an F1 championship because there wasn't any. Performance in comparison to their peersis the most important. Hakkinen has 2-3 good years, the rest were poor, you need to be a bit more consistent to be on this list. Alonso's had two. Kimi's had well none, or maybe one.

Nuvolari - well there weren't many who culd even merit comparison at his time.

That is precisely the reason I didn't vote either.

I agree with you that being a WDC doesn't makes you the GOAT, and my list would have been considerably shorter, yet if you are including people like Stirling Moss (who never was a WDC) why not an Alonso who won it twice (shall I remind you that he won them while Schumi was still racing?). For the record, I don't think that makes him the greatest of all time, but certainly earns him merit enough to be on this list as Stirling Moss has.

About Nuvolari, that was exactly what I was trying to say. If you include him, then why not Bernd Rosenmeyer (who won less races but has a more pintoresque story)? Or Rudolf Caracciolo?

Anyways, I insist, I can't compare Schumi, of which I watched every race, with Lauda (which I watched as a kid, with a different perspective and understanding), with Fangio (I only watched some footage and heard and read stories), with Rosenmeyer (of which I only saw a dramatic recreation with actors on the History channel!)

why dont u stop being such a negative grumpy git all the time.

This is a poll for WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP drivers, and unless I am very much mistaken, Tazio Nuvolari was not one.

Stewart is a triple world champion and is surely considered by at least some to be one of the best ever.

Alonso and Raikkonen are in there because I know there are fanatics who will probably want to vote for them. So shut up and post your opinion or not at all!

In my opinion you simply cannot compare drivers from different eras. Drivers from the Fangio era had no such thing as Traction control, Launch Control, semi auto gearboxes .... the list goes on. Furthermore, the guys from long ago used things such as hay bales for armco!! For pure balls of steel I don't think today's guys hold a candle to the guys of the past.

Where's Gilles???? He gets my vote!

sorry he was meant to be on there, i forgot.

And cavallino someone has voted Hakkinen, so i guess your whinging has made u look the fool again!

voted for Schumacher...If you meant Michael and not Ralf :D:P

PS to Kubica : Can u please trim down your signature...Its really annoying to see such a long signature..Just my 2 cents :)

I agree with you that being a WDC doesn't makes you the GOAT, and my list would have been considerably shorter, yet if you are including people like Stirling Moss (who never was a WDC) why not an Alonso who won it twice (shall I remind you that he won them while Schumi was still racing?).

Yes, Alonso won the Mille Miglia too, didn't he?

Different era, people drove races more than the championship.

Including Mr. Can't beat a rookie fresh out of racing school in a poll like this is laughable.

For the record, I don't think that makes him the greatest of all time, but certainly earns him merit enough to be on this list as Stirling Moss has.

Geez, is it impossible to look without those thick Alonso goggles at anything? Stirling Moss was unlucky to not win a title, and F1 at that time was not the unique pinnacle of open wheel racing, there were fewer races and all drivers drove in other races. Alonso has had a sum total of two good years in F1 in his entire career.

About Nuvolari, that was exactly what I was trying to say. If you include him, then why not Bernd Rosenmeyer (who won less races but has a more pintoresque story)? Or Rudolf Caracciolo?

What's a pintoresque story and why is that relevant? I mentjoned Nuvolari becaues he was better than those two.

Anyways, I insist, I can't compare Schumi, of which I watched every race, with Lauda (which I watched as a kid, with a different perspective and understanding), with Fangio (I only watched some footage and heard and read stories), with Rosenmeyer (of which I only saw a dramatic recreation with actors on the History channel!)

Look back to my last post - comparison aginst peers, I feel that every era has great drivers of high standards, therefore the ones that stand above their peers are the greatest. Alonso has a long way to go. Except in the eyes of his fans of course.

This is a poll for WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP drivers, and unless I am very much mistaken, Tazio Nuvolari was not one.

You didn't say that. And Moss is never included in the all time list for his F1 exploits.

Alonso and Raikkonen are in there because I know there are fanatics who will probably want to vote for them. So shut up and post your opinion or not at all!

We got a new friend here who'd want to vote for Kubeetza. Doesn't mean he should be in the poll. Why is it so hard for people to defend their opinions, why does everything have to be personal?

And cavallino someone has voted Hakkinen, so i guess your whinging has made u look the fool again!

Eh? How does that justify his inclusion, that some ignorant fool has voted for him?

The reason drivers are like Alonso and Hakkinen are included is partially because I wanted to reduce the risk of too many people voting 'other', but mostly because everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I considered that there may be a slight chance that some people here may possibly see Alonso or Hakkinen as being the greatest ever. Not me, of course, not in a million years, but they're in there just in case. And its a good thing I did, because evidently someone does think Mika Hakkinen is the greatest driver F1 has seen.

You are of course entitled to create your own poll with your own perfect list, as mine is clearly heavily flawed in your eyes; however I dont expect you will do so as you appear to take much more enjoyment from bringing down this one and living up to your old title of 'argumentative indian'!!!