Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dribbler

Dennis: "you Have To Virtually Decide In Advance".

Well the really interesting thing is that Dennis appears to have said that Lewis was on a 1-stop strategy, until they changed it at the (early) first stops. So how much fuel did he really have on board I wonder. In any event, I actually think it's quite hard to say who was faster given they both had traffic in qualifying and may not have been racing hard. Looking at their best sector times in qualy (presumably on their low fuel runs) Lewis would have been ahead by about a tenth. I don't know how their final qualy laps compared until they each got held up.

Here are a few Articles i found from F1-live... (just quoting the interesting quotes...)

"I've got number two on my car. I am the number two driver," Hamilton said bluntly. - I heard him say this on tv....

Dennis, the Woking based team's chairman and principal, made no apologies for protecting the McLaren one-two despite admitting to some disappointment.

"I don't like to slow drivers down, I don't like them to be frustrated but it is the way you have to win the Monaco Grand Prix," he said.

Dennis insisted to reporters that the situation was a 'one off', created by the unforgiving Monaco barriers and also McLaren's performance advantage over their nearest competitor here.

He said: "We don't have team orders - we had a strategy to win this race.

"There will be places where they will be absolutely free to race, but this isn't one of them."

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/new...528104723.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is a article showing the investigation has started:-

"The FIA has launched an investigation into incidents involving the McLaren Mercedes team at the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix in light of a possible breach of the International Sporting Code. The relevant evidence is under review and a further announcement will be made in due course," reads the press release.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/new...528145500.shtml

----------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on this:-

I feel Team orders should be legal again, nothing wrong with what mclaren did, but they don't need to be soo public about it. I also hate FIA reacting just on the media news and trying to manupilate the field with rules... Like banning flexi wings & mass dampers to make Ferrari and Reno uncompetive so as to level the field...

I think FIA may just take the WCC points of Mclaren to justify this race (i.e. make it more competitive for the rest of the field to catch up)

I thought they banned it then, after that incident.

They banned them after Barrichello slowed down to let MS win the Austrian GP in 2002 or 2003.

They banned them for the 2003 season, important because we'll soon have some idiot claiming that then Indy 2002 was illegal.

Who has a time machine so I could go 40 years back in time and see some real racing? :(

There should be no constructors championship at all to prevent these issues. I would love to see drivers inside the same team fighting eachother with blood on their mouth.

Who has a time machine so I could go 40 years back in time and see some real racing? :(

There should be no constructors championship at all to prevent these issues. I would love to see drivers inside the same team fighting eachother with blood on their mouth.

Rrright. The constructors championship is important, as an F1 'team doesn't consist of just a driver. The team deserve to be rewarded for their hard work if they have built the best car of the season. After all, they put in alot more hours than the drivers do.

So Ron said the drivers aren't free to race here.

That's team orders, right?

I like this idea, I am not agaisnt team order but now that they are ilegal they should not be used, IMO the should be legal because there is no way to know when a team is using them unless they give a direct order on the radio, the team can perfectly give this orders to the driver before the race and nobody will know about it.

I think what Ron Dennis did was right for Mclaren. He had to think about the constructor's battle, and with kimi's problem in qualifying this was a good chance to open a bigger gap against ferrari. However, as a Lewis fan, I am surely very dissapointed if Ron has determined before the race who should win it. If he made his mind up during the race, then it will make more sense because Lewis was pushing so hard, he almost hit the barriers on a couple of occasions. Its best to tell him to calm down at that time. But before the race, it just makes no sense because Hamilton is leading the drivers championship.

Anyway I just hope Ron keeps his words and allow lewis to battle alonso in other races.

Yes and he said "there will be places where they will be free to race each other", so he meant that this is not the only place where he is thinking to use the team orders other way he would say "from now on they are free to race each other"

I think what Ron Dennis did was right for Mclaren. He had to think about the constructor's battle, and with kimi's problem in qualifying this was a good chance to open a bigger gap against ferrari. However, as a Lewis fan, I am surely very dissapointed if Ron has determined before the race who should win it. If he made his mind up during the race, then it will make more sense because Lewis was pushing so hard, he almost hit the barriers on a couple of occasions. Its best to tell him to calm down at that time. But before the race, it just makes no sense because Hamilton is leading the drivers championship.

Anyway I just hope Ron keeps his words and allow lewis to battle alonso in other races.

Lh said that he didn't paid much attention to this order and he kept pushing I think he was trying to show everybody that he had the pace to win this race, just like RB did in 1A Ring in 2003, what RD did is good for the team but right now that is ilegal, it's against the rules and that is the only reason why we are talking about it.

I agree. Not quite the same as what Ferrari did at the 02 Austrian GP

you don't get it

1. he was fuelled heavier to finish lower than Alonso in qualifying....

2. he had more fuel to go longer in the first stint but was called in earlier....

3. Mclaren admitted letting Alonso win...

your thoughts of a fair and square race is unfounded... oh I get it, you're an Alonso fan...

Last year it was Schumacher the cheater, and now it's Alonso :yawn::yawn:

Jean Todt had said quite a few times that the Ferrari drivers aren't allowed to race after the final pit stops, thats team orders, right?

I think we all need a clarification of exactly what 'team orders' means and what is actually banned.

I can completely understand why Mclaren told Lewis to back off, and its far from being unprecedented, so whats the big deal. And I'm not an Alonso fan.

Hamilton would've had almost zero chance of getting past Alonso anyway, and he's not stupid enough to try a silly move on his own team-mate

I think we all need a clarification of exactly what 'team orders' means and what is actually banned.

Austria 2002 was team orders. Everything else is not team orders except for clause 1. Mclaren never use team orders. So nothing Mclaren do can ever be team orders. Even if they admit it. Williams have never used team oredrs, they represent the soul of racing.

Clause 1: Everytime two Ferrari drivers are within half a minute of each other on track, it is team orders.

I can completely understand why Mclaren told Lewis to back off, and its far from being unprecedented, so whats the big deal. And I'm not an Alonso fan.

Hamilton would've had almost zero chance of getting past Alonso anyway, and he's not stupid enough to try a silly move on his own team-mate

I can understand that, but what is the story about fuelling him for half distance then changing his strategy to a 2 stopper when he's got enough fuel. and forget the excuse of "if there was a safety car and Lewis would be infront" . I have'nt heard such bulls##t in ages!!!!!

I can understand that, but what is the story about fuelling him for half distance then changing his strategy to a 2 stopper when he's got enough fuel. and forget the excuse of "if there was a safety car and Lewis would be infront" . I have'nt heard such bulls##t in ages!!!!!

Sorry, but I seem to have missing some piece of information here. I thought Lewis was fueled for 6 more laps than Alonso. Alonso was fueled for 20 laps, which makes Lewis fueled for 26 laps. That is exactly one third of the race, "ideal" fuel for a 2 stop strategy.

Did they say that Lewis was on a 1 stop strategy?

No hidden intentions in my question, I am just trying to understand the whole story.

Yeah if you look at the quotes from Ron he says that Lewis was changed from a 1-stop strategy to a "faster" 2-stop one. Basically I have no idea therefore how much fuel he actually qualified with!

Austria 2002 was team orders. Everything else is not team orders except for clause 1. Mclaren never use team orders. So nothing Mclaren do can ever be team orders. Even if they admit it. Williams have never used team oredrs, they represent the soul of racing.

Clause 1: Everytime two Ferrari drivers are within half a minute of each other on track, it is team orders.

That explains all the FIA investigation in too Ferrari 1-2 finishes then :rolleyes:

what a mess. This just goes to show that teams can easily use team orders and get away with it, its impossible to police the matter. Teams can easily agree before a race that if 1 driver is ahead of the other at a certain point, then they will change strategies to ensure that the other driver gets in front. FIA cant listen in on team meetings, so the only thing that can easily be banned is 1 driver blatantly moving over on track for another to zoom past, like Austria 2002