Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

Hakkinen's Warning

I warned Kimi to stick with McLaren - Hakkinen

Monday 4 June at 10:32 : Double world champion Mika Hakkinen says he advised countryman Kimi Raikkonen to stick with McLaren rather than switch to the Ferrari team.

Hakkinen, who won back to back titles with Ron Dennis' Mercedes-powered outfit in 1998 and 1999, told the Finnish newspaper 'Iltalehti' that he feared Raikkonen would struggle to adapt to the atmosphere at Ferrari.

"I warned him that changing teams might not go well for him," the 38-year-old, whose McLaren seat in 2002 was filled by F1 newcomer Raikkonen, said.

Hakkinen said: "Unfortunately for Kimi, my forecasts are being fulfilled."

Hakkinen stuck stoically with McLaren throughout the 90s, even through difficult times in the wake of Ayrton Senna's departure and the unsettled beginning of the Mercedes-Benz period.

But he said: "Winning the world championship is like a spider-web, which needs many threads, and time.

"Of course it is true that McLaren's recent past had some problems, but it is a team that has always had the capacity to recover.

"It is possible that Kimi has not measured the risks (of joining Ferrari) too well because it looks like being a difficult year for him.

"Also the McLaren car has evolved a lot in the past races, and winning titles can depend a lot on minor factors.

"In this game there are many excellent drivers, so Kimi cannot rely exclusively on his talent," Hakkinen said.

www.dailynews.com

what do you guys think? I say there's maybe SOME truth, but a driver of Kimi's genius will eventually overcome, it's a matter of how fast the adaption....

what do you guys think? I say there's maybe SOME truth, but a driver of Kimi's genius will eventually overcome, it's a matter of how fast the adaption....

I don't know that Kimi really cares whether it works out or not, he has never intended to be in F1 a long time, he wanted a WDC and it didn't happen with McLaren so he went to Ferrari, if he doesn't get it there then he will retire.

If he can get a reliable and fast Ferrari he will succeed, then his decision will be lauded and if not it will be the big mistake he made that Hakkinen warned against.

But the fan in me says that he is adapting and Montreal will be his chance to prove it.

Forza Kimi

I don't know that Kimi really cares whether it works out or not, he has never intended to be in F1 a long time, he wanted a WDC and it didn't happen with McLaren so he went to Ferrari, if he doesn't get it there then he will retire.

If he can get a reliable and fast Ferrari he will succeed, then his decision will be lauded and if not it will be the big mistake he made that Hakkinen warned against.

But the fan in me says that he is adapting and Montreal will be his chance to prove it.

Forza Kimi

and the Lord looked upon David and said, "...a man after My own heart"

Forza Kimi

Let just say "in Montreal, Kimi has to prove it"

I dont think kimi is doing a bad job, his biggest mistake of course was in monaco. He looks like he is doing badly because his teammate Massa has regularly outclass him. Massa is doing better not because kimi is bad, but because massa is good. :wacko:

But having said that, I reckon kimi is going to come back and win a few more grand prix before the season ends.

I dont think kimi is doing a bad job, his biggest mistake of course was in monaco. He looks like he is doing badly because his teammate Massa has regularly outclass him. Massa is doing better not because kimi is bad, but because massa is good. :wacko:

But having said that, I reckon kimi is going to come back and win a few more grand prix before the season ends.

Massa is doing good but I won't bet him for a championship, he won't cut it.

actually, I don't know what you're trying to say. Massa is good but not brilliant, something along those lines????

You can't blame kimi. Wut is he supposed to do in mclaren not winning a championship for the past 5 years.

Everything will fall into place very soon for kimi. Probably from the next gp onwards

I think Kimi has made a huge mistake in joining Ferrari as his personality does not lend itself to the family type atmosphere at Ferrari - To openly shun the immensely successful and loved Schumi is another miscalculation as ultimtaley he will alienate MS's fans that remain at Ferrari - The guy is boring and has a dont give a sh!t persona about him, Ferrari is about the outpouring of emotion, win or lose. Kimi is just too cool!

An aloof aura is fine when things are going well, when they're not, it comes across as arrogant and lacking in commitment. The pressure is also getting to him in a major way - Why come out with that statement after a recent test that Ferrari were going to thrash the opposition as he had made a breakthrough of sorts during the test - The result, 3rd behind the Rookie hami, didn't bear out his optimism.

Do I want him to succeed? not really - The guy doesn't take F1 seriously enough for me - He is always hyped by all and sundry as the best this and best that, but never succeeds in achieving anything other than relative mediocrity. - Fernando is head and shoulders above Kimi as an all round F1 driver, not just a speed merchant.

I'm sure if Ron were to have a choice to have Kimi back or stick with Hamilton, he would keep things as they are.

Just my opinion so no attacks please!

<_<

and the Lord looked upon David and said, "...a man after My own heart"

:lol:

You can't blame kimi. Wut is he supposed to do in mclaren not winning a championship for the past 5 years.

Everything will fall into place very soon for kimi. Probably from the next gp onwards

Exactly. Who could blame him? Mika may end up being right, Kimi may never win a championship, but what driver wouldn't have accept Michaels vacant race seat after their own team had failed to deliver after many chances? He's gonna drink himself into a wreck if a McLaren driver wins the title this year...

Exactly. Who could blame him? Mika may end up being right, Kimi may never win a championship, but what driver wouldn't have accept Michaels vacant race seat after their own team had failed to deliver after many chances? He's gonna drink himself into a wreck if a McLaren driver wins the title this year...

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation. As much as I like them both, neither are amazing conversationalists.

Mika: Kimi, Ferrari bad.

Kimi: Hmmm.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation. As much as I like them both, neither are amazing conversationalists.

on the ITV pre-race show last weekend Hakkinen was driving Louise around in a London taxi, and i've never heard Mika talking so much!!! Was actually quite weird hearing so many words coming from him. He even smiled a couple of times!

:clap3:

Seriously, if Kimi doesn't gives a convincing performance by the endo of season, I will start having my doubts about Kimi's actual skill. He has been at McLaren for years, they achieved nothing. He moves to Ferrari, McLarens has the best season start in the past years and Kimi's Ferrari (Michael's Ferrari) suddenly sucks. Is this all just a coincidence?

I understand everybody needs a time to adapt to a new team, so I think he still has until end of season to show this is really just bad luck...but if not...

on the ITV pre-race show last weekend Hakkinen was driving Louise around in a London taxi, and i've never heard Mika talking so much!!! Was actually quite weird hearing so many words coming from him. He even smiled a couple of times!

I know, I have seen other interviews with him since he left F1 and I have heard him say more in 1 interview than during the whole of his F1 career! :lol:

:clap3:

Seriously, if Kimi doesn't gives a convincing performance by the endo of season, I will start having my doubts about Kimi's actual skill. He has been at McLaren for years, they achieved nothing. He moves to Ferrari, McLarens has the best season start in the past years and Kimi's Ferrari (Michael's Ferrari) suddenly sucks. Is this all just a coincidence?

I understand everybody needs a time to adapt to a new team, so I think he still has until end of season to show this is really just bad luck...but if not...

I will treat it as coincidence for a little while yet, but you maybe right! Geez, what am I thinking!! :lol:

i dont think its bad luck, i just think there's a few 'niggles' that he's had to get over, and I'm sure he will get over them (perhaps he already has, we dont know cos he crashed)!

Raikkonen didnt get his good reputation by being a worse driver than Felipe Massa. I think its only a matter of time before we see him deliver a dominant victory (however it does make ppp predictions very difficult!)

Yeah, hindsight is a wonderful thing Mika. You're just so clever.

actually, I don't know what you're trying to say. Massa is good but not brilliant, something along those lines????

Why do think Massa can't cut it? he has been pretty consistent this season(apart from the first race)...

I think Hakkinen's right! Just look what Kimi is doing to Ferrari!

Why do think Massa can't cut it? he has been pretty consistent this season(apart from the first race)...

His overtaking skills in malaysia were worse than amateur. In the 2 races he won, he didnt have to do any overtaking.

Massa is doing better than we all expected but I think he will slip up if a: it rains, or b: he has to fight for position & overtake a few cars

His overtaking skills in malaysia were worse than amateur. In the 2 races he won, he didnt have to do any overtaking.

Massa is doing better than we all expected but I think he will slip up if a: it rains, or b: he has to fight for position & overtake a few cars

He has improved quite a lot this season, so there nothing wrong in thinking he is better in rains and can improve in overtaking...

Just because someone hasn't done it earlier does not mean he will not improve... and he also know where to improve...

Hindsight my rosy-red arse (don't ask why it's rosy-red right now...it was a good weekend). Mika told him, Kimi didn't listen and now The Hakk has a right to say 'Itoldyouso'.

EDIT: If Kimi doesn't win the title this year, I'll classify him with DC and write him off for any future Championships. I'm sick of his 'potential' being touted. For whatever reason he never quite gets it done. I started off this season wanting to be blow away by Kimi's genius...and now I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered....

Agree, what else would you expect Mika to say.

"Yeah go to Ferrari and all your dreams will come true it's quite obvious that these blokes here at McLaren have no idea what they are doing. Do you know how many years I had to drive sh!t heap cars before I got a car that could take me to be the WDC, go son make your way to ITALY, NOW"

Ofcourse not!

Massa is good when he drives from pole, when a challenge presents itself he will crumble.

Hindsight my rosy-red arse (don't ask why it's rosy-red right now...it was a good weekend). Mika told him, Kimi didn't listen and now The Hakk has a right to say 'Itoldyouso'.

EDIT: If Kimi doesn't win the title this year, I'll classify him with DC and write him off for any future Championships. I'm sick of his 'potential' being touted. For whatever reason he never quite gets it done. I started off this season wanting to be blow away by Kimi's genius...and now I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered....

Remember all the talk over the winter testing we all sort of agreed that it would take Kimi a little bit of time before we seen him settle into his new environment at Ferrari. The win in Melbourne I think has eroded away that line of thinking. Kimi will respond, give him time. Don't be so eager to write him off, at this stage anyway.

Kimi must leave McLaren. His relationship with McLaren is really a painful one.

Obviously, he is not adaptable with Ferrari's TC, understeer and also BS tyres. It takes time. I am sure he will pull himself through.

Mika is hitting Kimi when he is down, now I don't consider him as Kimi's friend any more. :eusa_think:

You forgot 1 detail: Felipe won twice and outperformed him 4 of 5 races!

What I'm trying to say is when your teammate (massa) is doing extremely well, then you would look like you are doing bad even though you are not actually that bad because people would compare you with your teammate. It is also something like in Renault last season, when Fisichella looks like he is performing badly because Alonso regularly outclass him. Before Monaco, Kimi has been doing a good but not spectacular job.