Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dribbler

Does Anyone Ride A Motorbike?

Yep, i'm still out whenever i can. It's cooling down here too but my bike came with girlie heated grips so it makes it bearable. I have racked up about 2k miles since the end of July. I can't get enough. Have got new tyres on now which has made a massive difference and gives me a lot more confidence. I'm still learning all the time.

An evil salesman at my local bike shop told me yeaterday he would straight swap my Fazer for a mint low mile ZX9-R. I am in no mood to take one step closer to a divorce so i think i'll ride the year out on it!

Any idiots riding in this bitter cold? I did 200 miles last weekend on a jaunt down to see a friend in Hampshire. Heated grips are on permanently now and Mrs drib got me some warm winter waterproofs.

Still love it. Done 5,000 miles now......

Any idiots riding in this bitter cold? I did 200 miles last weekend on a jaunt down to see a friend in Hampshire. Heated grips are on permanently now and Mrs drib got me some warm winter waterproofs.

Still love it. Done 5,000 miles now......

You're still having your mid life crisis?? Ah well, it will pass soon :lol:

So, does anyone else ride? Your experiences, good or bad would be great to read about.

Here's my bike. It's a Yamaha Fazer FZ6s.

Sheesh, nice wheels Dribbler.

I ride, but my BMX is lacking in the engine department

You're still having your mid life crisis?? Ah well, it will pass soon :lol:

My life or the crisis? Hmm, still shudder at the thought of growing up.

:lol: Some of the best times i ever had were on push bikes. Keeps you healthy too!

It's not the only thing that's lacking in the 'engine' department, so I've heard :whistling::lol:

My life or the crisis? Hmm, still shudder at the thought of growing up.

:lol: Some of the best times i ever had were on push bikes. Keeps you healthy too!

The crisis of course. Geez, I wouldn't wish the other on anyone!

Growing up is something other people do, I find :lol:

Me and the Fazer 600 did 8000 miles in ten months. It was time to move on and up. Here's my new beast, a Fazer 1000.

2008-05-17007.jpg

Me and the Fazer 600 did 8000 miles in ten months. It was time to move on and up. Here's my new beast, a Fazer 1000.

2008-05-17007.jpg

Hey! Mine's the same colour!!

post-1536-1211150162_thumb.jpg

Nice bike Steve, looks beautiful.

Nice bike, Steve!

I've been considering a bike. What's a good bike for a beginner? My only experience is a 250cc dirt bike. I've never actually ridden a motorcycle...

Nice bike, Steve!

I've been considering a bike. What's a good bike for a beginner? My only experience is a 250cc dirt bike. I've never actually ridden a motorcycle...

What does the law say for you guys? Over here, you need to be sixteen years old before you can get on one. You have to complete your CBT (compulsory basic training) before taking your full test. If you are twenty one or over, once this test is complete you can get on any motorcycle, unrestricted. Under twenty one you are limited for two years until you can ride something more powerful. So i guess it depends how old you are and what you are allowed to ride.

A 250cc dirt bike, although unlikely to be geared for road speeds will give you a great head start because you already know how it feels and presumably it has given you the co-ordination for gear changing, braking etc.

I haven't ridden many bikes so i can't give you any real sound advice on what's best. It also greatly depends, of course on what you want to use it for. I went for a Fazer 600 because it was considered to be a good all rounder. It doesn't excel in any one area (apart from power, for its class). Having an all rounder allows you to consider what's important for you, if you don't really know. So, for me, once i had ridden it for a while it made me realise that i still wanted the comfortable riding position (you don't lay forward on your wrists) with a bit more 'useable' power and all that goes with it, ie better brakes. The fazer 1000 is a logical step. It's twenty kilos heavier which makes it less 'chuckable' on roundabouts but much more secure in higher speed corners and

a more comfortable ride. I also want to do a bit or European touring next year which will be much less tiring on a bigger engined bike.

The great thing these days is that once you have an idea of what type of bike you want, you can research it fully on the internet. There are a plethora of views, road tests and bits of advice everywhere. Most models have a website or owners club devoted specifically to them which are very useful. It's difficult to go wrong really.

Nice upgrade Steve, but I have to ask how on earth did you convince Mrs. Drib???

with a stick ofcourse! :P

Nice upgrade Steve, but I have to ask how on earth did you convince Mrs. Drib???

with a stick ofcourse! :P

:o

I had a motorcycle once. After 2 weeks in a hospital and 4 months in a cast, I don't miss it.

Always had a fear of bikes, this pretty much sums it up for me. The thing is nowadays, there are so many nincompoop driver's around, then there's the old grannies, females driver's (sorry Kay and Katy) etc etc. Nowadays you have to think for the other drivers. It's a dangerous place being on the road, 100 times more being on a bike. If you're ever on the roads in S.A. you'll know what i mean....No bike for me ever.

BTW, nice bike though Dribs, wishing you safe journeys with it.

I have petrol running through my veins. She knows it and loves me for it. Simple.

:o

:lol:

Always had a fear of bikes, this pretty much sums it up for me. The thing is nowadays, there are so many nincompoop driver's around, then there's the old grannies, females driver's (sorry Kay and Katy) etc etc. Nowadays you have to think for the other drivers. It's a dangerous place being on the road, 100 times more being on a bike. If you're ever on the roads in S.A. you'll know what i mean....No bike for me ever.

BTW, nice bike though Dribs, wishing you safe journeys with it.

You know, it's the fact that you have to think for the idiots that appeals to me. It's all part of the discipline. Ride within your limits and always to the conditions, never be tempted to go out with anything other than the full gear on and ALWAYS think for the fools. Ride by these rules and it's difficult to gow wrong. Most accidents involve people saying "Suddenly, a car pulled out on me". It sounds pompous but if you are on it one hundred percent, nothing happens suddenly. It just means you have been going too fast and have not anticipated the hazard. I see guys hooning around on roads with no regard for the conditions, nothing in reserve if they have to stop; these are the guys who are going to fall off.

You know, it's the fact that you have to think for the idiots that appeals to me. It's all part of the discipline. Ride within your limits and always to the conditions, never be tempted to go out with anything other than the full gear on and ALWAYS think for the fools. Ride by these rules and it's difficult to gow wrong. Most accidents involve people saying "Suddenly, a car pulled out on me". It sounds pompous but if you are on it one hundred percent, nothing happens suddenly. It just means you have been going too fast and have not anticipated the hazard. I see guys hooning around on roads with no regard for the conditions, nothing in reserve if they have to stop; these are the guys who are going to fall off.

absolutely true Dribs, as they say, we take risks everyday, just walking across the street is one of 'em...

but I won't try a bike as yet

I fell off a bike once. Yamaha RD200. 28 years ago. Didn't like it. Haven't ridden one since.

Mrs Gorilla, spending her working days in the operating theatre, refers to motorbicyclists as organ donors.

Other than that, nice wheels Steve.

I fell off a bike once. Yamaha RD200. 28 years ago. Didn't like it. Haven't ridden one since.

Mrs Gorilla, spending her working days in the operating theatre, refers to motorbicyclists as organ donors.[/b}

Other than that, nice wheels Steve.

Yeah heard that one many times. My missus is a radiographer; she calls smoker's "job security".

I want to go back to bikes. I had a Ducati 500 about 10 years ago, but I smashed myself up. (Head injuries - didn't add to already what wasn't there!!!!!)

Do you think a Suzuki TL1000s is too strong for me to start back in on?

I want to go back to bikes. I had a Ducati 500 about 10 years ago, but I smashed myself up. (Head injuries - didn't add to already what wasn't there!!!!!)

Do you think a Suzuki TL1000s is too strong for me to start back in on?

What was the nature of your accident?