Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zdzisio

Kubica's Race Engineer Not To Take Part In Usgp

http://www.duemotori.com/news/f1/13835_Rob...so_in_doubt.php

Robert Kubica - or his replacement - will probably have a different race engineer for this weekend's US grand prix. It is reported by adrivo.com that BMW-Sauber's top test engineer, Ossi Oikarinen, was in Montreal at the weekend -- presumably to learn the ropes.

Kubica's regular engineer, the Iranian Mehmi Ahmadi, has apparently still not been granted a visa to enter the United States for this weekend's race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "We are still waiting for the visa," BMW spokesman Jorg Kottmeier confirmed.

He said: "If he cannot get it, Oikarinen will do his job in Indianapolis."

Source: GMM

Ossi Oikarinen used to work i F1 for Arrows (1997-2000) and Toyota (2001-2006), was race engineer for Jarno Trulli

maybe I'm just little paranoid, but I just can imagine this reasoning:

Iranian engineer, travelling around the word , was in Bahrain few times, Malaysia , even China. Working for german company, responsible for safety of vehicles moving with high velocity, around hundred of thousands of people ...

No way he gets a visa, for those brainless people who issue them this story is just too similar to Arab students from Hamburg, who crashed the plains against WTC on 9 11th

http://www.duemotori.com/news/f1/13835_Rob...so_in_doubt.php

Ossi Oikarinen used to work i F1 for Arrows (1997-2000) and Toyota (2001-2006), was race engineer for Jarno Trulli

maybe I'm just little paranoid, but I just can imagine this reasoning:

Iranian engineer, travelling around the word , was in Bahrain few times, Malaysia , even China. Working for german company, responsible for safety of vehicles moving with high velocity, around hundred of thousands of people ...

No way he gets a visa, for those brainless people who issue them this story is just too similar to Arab students from Hamburg, who crashed the plains against WTC on 9 11th

This isn't the time or place to get into a discussion of politics, but that's pretty crap. It's odd, too: just two years ago the Galaxy, LA's soccer team, played a friendly against a team from Iran, their All-Stars or something. I didn't hear of any problems with visas resulting from that.

Since when does the 9/11 plane crashes into the twin towers which happened 6 years ago has to do with F1?

The U.S. has not had normal diplomatic relations with Iran for 28 years.

The U.S. has not had normal diplomatic relations with Iran for 28 years.
Perhaps you read my post wrong! Just because a race engineer does'nt take part in a race for a driver does'nt mean he's gonna crash 2 planes into the twin towers or make a bomb explode on a double-decker bus! I hope I'm not sensing racism as I don't enjoy being surrounded by racist f***s!

Perhaps you read my post wrong! Just because a race engineer does'nt take part in a race for a driver does'nt mean he's gonna crash 2 planes into the twin towers or make a bomb explode on a double-decker bus! I hope I'm not sensing racism as I don't enjoy being surrounded by racist f***s!

I don't think you are surrounded by racists, seeing as he said it was "pretty crap" that the guy couldn't get the VISA.

It's our dumb government. They are wicked racist against Arabs and Muslims, it's disgusting how bad they are. And of course people blame us as Americans for it, since they're racist towards us, and since we sort of elected him (not really, Al Gore won the people's vote, which would've thwarted Bush from serving 8 long years), people think we all agree.

Pssh.

Now move this to the cafe or lock it. Your choice.

-Eric

Lock the thread. No harm was intended by any of the participants in this thread, by this is a formula one forum not a political forum. Enough said :D

Peace.

Australia didnt let 2 Fijian Rugby players into our country for the match last week. That was due to the fact that they were members of the Fijian military and they are banned from coming to our country. I know its not exactly the same but its a similar situation.

A highly educated Iranian engineer, coming from a third country that doesn't share all of its immigration information with the U.S. (Canada), to attend a high profile event that may be attended by high profile foreign nationals connected to various government agencies, is going to receive a higher degree of scrutiny than your average tourist. The U.S. has not had diplomatic relations with Iran for at least 28 years. Iran is a known state sponsor of terrorism. American relations have recently been strained as Iran is engaged in a domestic crackdown on dissent and they

Iran is a known state sponsor of terrorism.

Err no. About as well known as Saddam having WMDs.

American relations have recently been strained as Iran is engaged in a domestic crackdown on dissent and they

A highly educated Iranian engineer, coming from a third country that doesn't share all of its immigration information with the U.S. (Canada), to attend a high profile event that may be attended by high profile foreign nationals connected to various government agencies, is going to receive a higher degree of scrutiny than your average tourist. The U.S. has not had diplomatic relations with Iran for at least 28 years. Iran is a known state sponsor of terrorism. American relations have recently been strained as Iran is engaged in a domestic crackdown on dissent and they

I've even heard that individuals, including US Citizens, are detained for upto 10 hours on arrival at US airports just for having Muslim sounding names - The Immigration officers have even been known to say that the reasons why such individuals are inconvenienced is to dissuade them from returning to the US in the future.

Source, please.

Blair :lol: You're just poving my point.

And handed them to their American overlords. Same thing.

Perfectly within their rghts to do so. Probably trumped up charges, but then they were in Iran, and I get the impression they're dual citizens?

Yep, if you want to be held up to the same principles as the muppets who rule Iran, that's your choice.

So, are you saying that Iran isn't a state sponser of terrorism, though there is no one who seriously disputes this contention, and the USA doesn't have a right to determine who enters its borders and for what reason? Certinaly, in you understanding, it doesn't stand to reason that a man coming from a country that the USA has accused of being a state sponser of terrorism, for the purpose of attending a high profile event, coming directly from a country that doesn't share its immigration records with the USA, would merit extra scrutiny with regards to his visa status. Is that correct?

If so, then you need to grow up and enter the real world. Sad to say, but men aren't angels and that's the way it works. You just have to learn to be an adult about these sorts of things and realize that there are legitimate police powers that all state wield and that carefully reviewing the visa status of foreign nationals is one of them. The fact that our two countries haven't had diplomatic relations for 28 years doesn't help the situation. I'm sure this fellow is a nice guy and that there are no problems, and maybe BMW didn't appreciate that his nationality would be a problem, and so didn't give the US State Department the time necessary to throughouly and prudently review his visa application. It's a shame, but at the same time it's not like it's a surprise. I would go so far as to say that if this race were being held on September 10, 2001 this poor fellow would still merit extra attention.

Oh, and before you go off again about how Amerikkka is all racist and such, you should remember that Beverly Hills, California just elected its first Persian mayor (born in Iran, of course), and that Dearborn, Michigan has the largest mosque outside of Saudia Arabia.

There's no indication from the article that the academics and aid workers Iran has arrested are dual citizens. Of course, you're begging the question: were they born in Iran? If so, does Iran have procedures in place where one can renounce your citizenship, should you so desire? Many countries don't.

alright boys, off the f1 discussion board and into the cafe. good debate -> now please make sure to keep it civil! :)

Phew, I just typed a reply then it told me the topic disppeared, I thought it was deleted.

So, are you saying that Iran isn't a state sponser of terrorism, though there is no one who seriously disputes this contention,

I've seen no compelling evidence, and no reports of any compelling evidence. All I have seen in unequivocal statements from the White House and Number 10. Which I've heard before. I've also read about the absurdity of accusing Iran exclusively when such a lot of the violence is from the Sunni community.

It is also absurd to argue that America somehow has more of a right to have a say in what happens in Iraq than its neighbours, and that Iran should have no say in it at all.

and the USA doesn't have a right to determine who enters its borders and for what reason?

I didn't say that. I said that if you want to justify this kind of knee jerk illogical policies by pointing to what Iran does, well if those are the standards you want to be compared to, that's upto you. This man probably has some kind of resident status in Germany, at least something that lets him live and work there, has acquired visas for Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Malaysia and Spain in the last few months.

Oh, and before you go off again about how Amerikkka is all racist and such, you should remember that Beverly Hills, California just elected its first Persian mayor (born in Iran, of course), and that Dearborn, Michigan has the largest mosque outside of Saudia Arabia.

I never said any such thing, I don't know where you're coming from.

There's no indication from the article that the academics and aid workers Iran has arrested are dual citizens. Of course, you're begging the question: were they born in Iran? If so, does Iran have procedures in place where one can renounce your citizenship, should you so desire? Many countries don't.

Possibly. The point is they were arrested in Iran.