Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mock

Alonso Not Comfortable With Status In Mclaren

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=211023

ALONSO admits a McLaren feeling

World champion Fernando Alonso has revealed he has not been feeling totally comfortable at the McLaren team since he joined the British squad earlier this year.

The Spaniard switched from Renault to McLaren for this season, and he was joined by Briton Lewis Hamilton, who has enjoyed a sensational start to his rookie Formula One season.

Hamilton's success has somewhat overshadowed two-time champion Alonso, especially in the British media, where his teammate has been hailed as the new sensation, more so following his maiden victory in Canada last weekend.

Alonso says he has never felt 100 per cent comfortable at McLaren, but he admits he expected such a situation when Hamilton was confirmed as his teammate.

"Well, right from the start I've never felt totally comfortable," Alonso told his country's Cadena Ser in a radio interview on Monday night.

"I have a British teammate in a British team, and he's doing a great job and we know that all the support and help is going to him and I understood that from the beginning.

"But I'm not complaining. I've won two races out of six and I've finished on the podium four times and I have those 40 points that will allow me to fight for the title in the end," added the Spaniard, who was read the headlines of the major British newspapers during the radio show.

"I'm totally indifferent to that," he said, referring the British media hailing Hamilton. "Those are the same journalists and newspapers that, if the safety car had come out on lap 23 instead of lap 24 when Hamilton didn't have enough fuel for another lap, would not have been able to say anything.

"The Spanish press has more respect than the British one."

The Spaniard is eight points behind Hamilton after the first six races of the season, but the double world champion says he is staying calm.

"I'm calm, I'm fine, but I know there's a certain impatience to return to the top and dominate," Alonso added. "But I'm second in the championship, I'm eight points behind. I would be worse if I were at Renault, or Honda or any other team.

"At the moment I am where I expected to be and with a clear chance of winning the title in Brazil, and not now, in the sixth race."

AUTOSPORT

Gigz_CADET Staffer

FORMULA - The International Autosport Magazine

It's great to be back !!

Well to me Mclaren do not favour any driver. All they want is to win the constructor title, and anyone of their current drivers to win the driver championship with no preference. I just think that the media is making the most of driver's comments. First they make a big deal of "team orders" when hamilton said "I'm the number two driver". Next they make a big deal of alonso comments of favouritism. It's the media, and I dont blame them, I mean that is what they get paid to do. :naughty:

It doesn't matter what alonso thinks about Mclaren, what matters is he said he is fine with that. So he'll be okay with mclaren. There is no favouritism, they only do the most to ensure one of their driver wins every race.

It's a pretty honest statement from Fernando. Whether the favouritism that he speaks of actually exists, only he and the team know. I'm a little surprised at how public he has gone with his opinion though.

*typo*

I don't buy it. A team doesn't hire a double world champion and pay him

The last couple of days alot of comments made by alonso and others have been ripped totally out of context by the press.

While this is certainly not new that comments are beeing taking out of contest or rephrased for more sensational headlines it does seem to be alot worse this year.

I think alot of it has to do with Hamilton mania which causes the press to take every comment made way out of proportion.

Sometimes i wonder why the drivers even bother to give interviews when the reporters write what they want anyway. <_<

It gets really bad when an interview is given in a foreign language and it is then translated into english like in this case.

The last couple of days alot of comments made by alonso and others have been ripped totally out of context by the press.

While this is certainly not new that comments are beeing taking out of contest or rephrased for more sensational headlines it does seem to be alot worse this year.

I think alot of it has to do with Hamilton mania which causes the press to take every comment made way out of proportion.

Sometimes i wonder why the drivers even bother to give interviews when the reporters write what they want anyway. <_<

It gets really bad when an interview is given in a foreign language and it is then translated into english like in this case.

Well put.

There is one thing about the press mentality that everyone needs to remember, and it's this..

They never let the truth get in the way of a good story

There is one thing about the press mentality that everyone needs to remember, and it's this..

True enough, that would just ruin everything.

agreed!!!! especially the ones I marked in red. very true, very true. Not just in formula1.

The drivers give interviews because under sponsorship agreements they are obligated to do it.

Uh they are remarks made in a radio interview. We heard the same last year, noone quite bothered to explain what the correct context of "the team aren't helping me" or of Alonso's recent remarks is. I can't think of any :what:

True enough, that would just ruin everything.

:clap3: You crack me up Steve :roll:

I suppose they give us something to talk about.. even if it's groundless half the time!

It feeds the ferrari fanboys their fortnightly dose of dribble, gotta keep them happy somehow when the 2 silver cars are kicking their butts :D