Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shane2

India Set For 2009 Gp Date

India expects to host a round of the 2009 Formula 1 World Championship according to Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi.

The race is likely to take place at a unspecified venue in New Delhi, but remains subject to financial backing and final approval of the circuit.

"We have received a letter in this regard from Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of Formula One. The IOA will be the promoter and the first event will be held in 2009," said Kalmadi.

"Once we move ahead, a regular contract would be signed," he added.

"We are planning to hold the race around New Delhi and we are looking to identify suitable land for a track.".

India, should it gain the necessary approval, would be the fifth new F1 venue to be announced in the last year.

Street circuits in Valencia and Singapore will join the calendar in 2008, Abu Dhabi in 2009 and South Korea the year after.

Source

Basically, Bernie gave them a letter saying "Look you get track and big heap money to pay for track and more big heap money to pay me, then we talk."

It still isn't going to happen, the difference is now the IOA will make prize idiots of themselves and we're not getting a major spoting event for another 20 years :P

Shame, I would like to see F1 expand its market a bit more.

Basically, Bernie gave them a letter saying "Look you get track and big heap money to pay for track and more big heap money to pay me, then we talk."

It still isn't going to happen, the difference is now the IOA will make prize idiots of themselves and we're not getting a major spoting event for another 20 years :P

Even if its going to happen, I am ready to feel disgusted after what happens after each race. Example: If someone like Modi happens to hand over the trophy to the winner and later they find out he is wanted by Geneva courts and stuffs.

Then you have one group of guys shouting "He took the money, not me" , then the guys who built the track are going to strike for not being paid.

Hopefully, after the bad example set by Turkey, nobody will be that stupid again

A thread about the Indian GP and it wasn't started by an Indian member?

That's a first! :P

i would love to see a street race in India, but Cav has a point, for non-1st world countries it's usually the opportunity for a lot of government corruption and it usually goes in detriment of the hosting country. That's why as much as I would like to have an Argentina GP again, I doubt it would be financially wise regarding a country with other priorities at the moment.

Was just watching TIMES NOW in which they showed Vicky Chandok, Narain yes Karthikeyan and some guy whose name I dont remember debating about the prospect. Hmm, funny. I wont belive a word they say until it happens. For me F1 in India is a joke.

Was just watching TIMES NOW in which they showed Vicky Chandok, Narain yes Karthikeyan and some guy whose name I dont remember debating about the prospect. Hmm, funny. I wont belive a word they say until it happens. For me F1 in India is a joke.

What did they say? Anything about who's paying?

Shame, I would like to see F1 expand its market a bit more.

not if its at the expense of silverstone! which i fear could be gone soon with all these new tracks in countries where most of the population dont even know what F1 is

not if its at the expense of silverstone! which i fear could be gone soon with all these new tracks in countries where most of the population dont even know what F1 is

I am British, and I don't see the fascination with Silverstone. It is a track with very few overtaking opportunities, and the drivers barely touch the breaks at all in the first half of the lap. In my opinion, F1 needs to stop worrying about tradition, because I personally do not care where races are held as long as the action is good.

It would be a shame not to have a GP in the UK, maybe it is about time they gave silverstone a facelift, and a layout modification

I am British, and I don't see the fascination with Silverstone. It is a track with vewy few overtaking opportunities, and the drivers barely touch the breaks at all in the first half of the lap. In my opinion, F1 needs to stop worrying about tradition, because I personally do not care where races are held as long as the action is good.

It would be a shame not to have a GP in the UK, maybe it is about time they gave silverstone a facelift, and a layout modification

Amen! :thbup:

more people in India watch F1 than the population of britain or germany, I think its enough to merit a race. The economy is booming, so plenty of companies want to sell into india. corruption or not, government or not, the worlds biggest ad circus is coming to india, and it would "new and improved", "25% bigger", "provide longer erections" and "cure your sickness"....

meow!

I strongly believe that this time,Indian GP 2009 is going to happen, cause, this time, Vijay Mallya (OWNER OF KINGFISHER AIRLINES) is behind this idea.....

n i'm sure that he'll do watever it takes to bring F1 in india...

"Formula 1 in New Delhi

Mallya now wants to bring a Formula 1 race to India as the Indian Grand Prix. New Delhi is the target, with a street-race being the favorite of Mallya, track designer Hermann Tilke[2] F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone[3] and Delhi CM Sheila Dixit. F1 track designer Hermann Tilke has designed a layout for a street-race like Monaco in New Delhi. [5] The plan is to have the first Indian F1 race in 2009. Tilke has previously designed F1 tracks in Turkey, Shanghai, Bahrain and Malaysia. [4]

Track design

The setup cost of the race would be at least U$100 million. [5] This is considerably less compared to building a brand new track specifically for car racing.

Tilke wants the cars to go around India Gate and down Rajendra Prasad Rd. [6] "

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vijay_Mallya

Chintan is that really you with the man himself in your avatar? Nice job if it is!

Oh yeah, Indian GP woohoo! I guess. I dunno, The prospect doesn't excite my too much. I guess because Australia's on the verge of losing the Melbourne GP. But to all the Indian members good luck, it's a good feeling each time the F1 circus visits your country!

A thread about the Indian GP and it wasn't started by an Indian member?

That's a first! :P

i would love to see a street race in India, but Cav has a point, for non-1st world countries it's usually the opportunity for a lot of government corruption and it usually goes in detriment of the hosting country. That's why as much as I would like to have an Argentina GP again, I doubt it would be financially wise regarding a country with other priorities at the moment.

You are in error my friend, plenty of Indian GP threads started by non Indians, basically to bash the idea

Well, how many non 1st world countries are holding a GP today?

Corruption would not happen only on a GP track, happens in other infrastructure projects anyway.

what is a 900 crore ?

Probaby willl be a JV between GoI, GNCTD and probably one or two private sponsors, maybe TATA / UB. Thats the way most projects are structured, else would be a private party with a VGF from the government, too many ways to structure are available, time is what I see as a constraint for a new track.

I dont wanna re-open my previous thread where I initiated a poll on this topic. I heard abt this topic earlier and yesterday i watched all news channels headlines today,cnn-ibn,ndtv,times-now all gave great coverage on this news. Indian Olympic Association (IOA) chariman Kalmadi disclosed his aggrement papers with Bernie to headlines today news channel and gave exclusive interview. he mentioned about their plans on street race but still they have option to go with a track like-non street.

Narain also mentioned he wishes/hope to be there in the first race when it will be hosted in 2009 but narain is bit worried abt how fast the infrastructure will come in place.

I am most unhappy that Bernie has chosen a fcuking twat for his Indian venture. Suresh Kalmadi is a scumbag,the filthiest vermin,a sodomite. He's been at the helm of Indian sports(????) since the last 50 million years. That motherfcuker gets an orgasm by hosting stupid events that nobody is interested in. That guy is a fraud. I hope the Indian gp never gets off the ground. I am hoping somebody drags this into court & stalls it.

Anyway,given the ground realities ,it's wishful thinking that the track will come up in 2 years. It's laughable. This fcuking country takes zillions of years to build an airport (e.g Bangalore).

I,for one,don't want F1 to come to India. Not with these current guys.

All the time they were just arguing, it is mostly going to be a track rather than street circuit. They did say how wonderful it would be if they had a street circuit in Delhi, and the newsreader also reminded how wonderful it would be if the Delhi Police stops a driver for over speeding. They were not talking anything much meaningful, all they really pointed out is that only Delhi has the basic infractructure. I trusted Chandrababu Naidu, because I know what he is capable of, one of the only few politicians who wanted to see his city grow rather than his personal property. Cav, rest of them are only thinking how much they can loot from this F1 project.

I am British, and I don't see the fascination with Silverstone. It is a track with very few overtaking opportunities, and the drivers barely touch the breaks at all in the first half of the lap. In my opinion, F1 needs to stop worrying about tradition, because I personally do not care where races are held as long as the action is good.

yeah its more the issue of not having a british gp, rather than me loving silverstone.

With the huge british influence that is in f1 and always has been, it just seems wrong not to have a British GP. Hopefully our government will realise that sooner or later