Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shane2

India Set For 2009 Gp Date

Shame, I would like to see F1 expand its market a bit more.
not if its at the expense of silverstone! which i fear could be gone soon with all these new tracks in countries where most of the population dont even know what F1 is

Ya i dealy hope F1 will reach more markets. But the problem is the 20 race restriction. It''ll be gud if they can extend upto 25. But then some teams are not willing like BMW

On the other hand I don't like having new gp's at the expense of the current gps. As jemstride pionted out silverstone. UK is one of the biggest markets in F1. Soon France will follow. Imola has faced the end of the road as well

So just adding new gp's by scrapping the current ones won't do

On the indian gp issue, its still not finalise as they have to raise the money by september which i guess will be difficult considering the time frame.

At the first instant when they talked of an indian gp back in 2003 i was very much ammused. Never thought f1 will go to india

I think the main reason going there is bcoz the rate aat which the indian economy is developing.

On the indian gp issue, its still not finalise as they have to raise the money by september which i guess will be difficult considering the time frame.

At the first instant when they talked of an indian gp back in 2003 i was very much ammused. Never thought f1 will go to india

I think the main reason going there is bcoz the rate aat which the indian economy is developing.

Indian economy is big enough and people here have enough money to host more than 20gps a year, but its in our instincts that we (Indians) find it very hard to part with our money.

A disbelieving Indian Express said it was "a bit difficult to digest" that the race could be held in New Delhi so soon without the necessary infrastructure already in place.

Can't find that article online unfortunately :(

Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi announced on Thursday a deal had been clinched with F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone to hold a Grand Prix event in two years time.

There's no deal.

Kalmadi said funds will be raised from the private sector and the government for the infrastructure, similar to what the IOA is doing to build facilities for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in 2010.

So either we get exorbitant ticket prices thanks to private funding, or we get precious public money channeled into this. Apparently the Singapore government is going to foot 60% of the bill for the race there - and that's a street circuit on existing streets. Madness, sheer blithering madness.

Fortunately, I don't think any public money is going to flow into this, it would be political suicide. And the present minister for sport is an avowed Marxist, he will have something to say (one of my favourite politicians - which isn't sayibng much, but for those interested, read this article.

This is just a bloody sellout to Bernie by an idiot with little sense. He will end up with egg on his face, and with a bit left for Bernie hopefully for pushing the idea of an Indian race. Then we can get on with our lives and watch races on TV.

I hope that's the way it ends up, anything else will be sad and disastrous.

Indian economy is big enough and people here have enough money to host more than 20gps a year, but its in our instincts that we (Indians) find it very hard to part with our money.

There's no reason to do it for Bernie.

There's no reason to do it for Bernie.

Bernie will get richer and richer, but I am sure Indians would be able to afford the ticket prices.

And the same ones can afford to fly to Malaysia, Singapore or something with all those budget airlines around. Why bother, and why waste precious public money?

And the same ones can afford to fly to Malaysia, Singapore or something with all those budget airlines around. Why bother, and why waste precious public money?

If you are saying that they are wasting public money then, I am in full support for a track. :D . Atleast OUR money is not being spent by politicians buying land overseas and building resorts and restuarants, or money spent by their kids travelling overseas for so called higher education and come back to the country and choose the girl they like and throw a fantastic lavish wedding party, and some of them spend all that money buying fancy cars and bikes and spend each night attending party and dance in pubs etc etc, too many to mention. I rather see all that money go for building a race track. But personally, we both know that our country in its present state is not capable of putting a good show, and we both wont be suprised if they put a VERY BAD SHOW.

If you are saying that they are wasting public money then, I am in full support for a track. :D . Atleast OUR money is not being spent by politicians buying land overseas and building resorts and restuarants, or money spent by their kids travelling overseas for so called higher education and come back to the country and choose the girl they like and throw a fantastic lavish wedding party, and some of them spend all that money buying fancy cars and bikes and spend each night attending party and dance in pubs etc etc, too many to mention. I rather see all that money go for building a race track. But personally, we both know that our country in its present state is not capable of putting a good show, and we both wont be suprised if they put a VERY BAD SHOW.

You're making a good point in spending that unnecessary money to build a race track. I totally agree.

On putting VERY BAD SHOW point, i certainly hope they will not though iam also thinking that they might put a bad show looking at how india deals with certain aspects. But the question is even if they do put a bad show, will bernie abandon it, bcoz india seems to be rich in their economy. Bernie is only interested in the money involved. As long as there is money thats wut matters

That's not the point, it is the principle of it. Plus the whole suggestion that we will economically benefit in terms of tourism is bulls##t. Delhi can't compete on tourism on those terms. The nightlife is crap, the climate is awful, there are no natural attractions like a nice beachfront, it is polluted and overcrowded. India is not for the kind of tourists who come for 3-4 days on a flight, stay in an expensive hotel and go back. Bernie is selling India the deal that Sepang or Singapore get. That's a rip off, we want the one that Hungary or Sao Paulo get. If at all.

That's not the point, it is the principle of it. Plus the whole suggestion that we will economically benefit in terms of tourism is bulls##t. Delhi can't compete on tourism on those terms. The nightlife is crap, the climate is awful, there are no natural attractions like a nice beachfront, it is polluted and overcrowded. India is not for the kind of tourists who come for 3-4 days on a flight, stay in an expensive hotel and go back. Bernie is selling India the deal that Sepang or Singapore get. That's a rip off, we want the one that Hungary or Sao Paulo get. If at all.

Cav, if its tourism that they are after, then Delhi is not the ideal place as you say. India needs few more years or infact atleast a decate to be the ideal host. But, it can be done in a better place, say somewhere in south. But now way in Kerala. These guys here will strike on the race day and demand a pay rise! :blink: Maybe in AP. But all we can do is suggest. FOR now let us giggle at those who say India will host a gp by 2009! :P I am happy watching the Milkman racing his 50cc mopet with a stray dog every morning. :P rather than being disgusted to hear what f1 circus have to curse about the way India organized after every GP.

I dont think its a problem for tourists to pay high amount for rooms. You can also imagine that there will be tons of tickets that are being sponsored by various distributors. Say MRF/JK Tyres distributors offering their dealers a fully paid trip to Delhi for Indian GP! Then I am bloody sure there will be many who come and stay for free in their cousins/relatives' places, accomodation and the cost of tickets wont be a problem. But Delhi is not going to benifit any tourism. This is a perfect chance for many to make a mega loot!