Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Bernie's Cavalier Attitude Towards Us G. P

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/06/14/usa.ecclestone.reut/

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has told U.S. Grand Prix organizers that he could take the race elsewhere if he cannot agree a new deal with Indianapolis.

"It is not vital to Formula One to be in the United States," the 76-year-old told Britain's Daily Express newspaper on Thursday, three days ahead of this season's U.S. Grand Prix.

"There are bigger markets for us to be in other parts of the world. We could be in India soon instead of the United States. We don't have a lot of sponsors from the U.S., no American teams and only one driver," he added.

"I get along with (Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner) Tony George and I hope we can strike a deal, but we have offers from other places in the U.S. too."

Indianapolis is in the last year of a contract for the Formula One race it has hosted since 2000. Ecclestone has talked in the past of taking Formula One to street circuits in Las Vegas or New York.

However, he also faces a squeeze on the calendar, with Valencia and Singapore confirmed as new races for next year while Abu Dhabi is due to make its debut in 2009 and South Korea in 2010.

India is also lobbying hard for a race and Suzuka is looking to return to the championship as a second Japanese race after being replaced by Fuji.

Despite Ecclestone's comments, similar to ones he made last year before agreeing a one-year extension with Indianapolis, the United States is a key market for the car manufacturers who dominate the sport and own most of the teams.

"The automobile market in the USA is the biggest one for Mercedes-Benz outside Germany," said Mercedes motorsport vice-president Norbert Haug, whose company owns 40 percent of championship leaders McLaren.

"For the BMW Group, the USA Grand Prix is of key importance in so far as the United States is our biggest market," said BMW Sauber boss Mario Theissen in a team preview of Sunday's race.

"We sell more cars there than in Germany and also have our biggest production sites outside Germany."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of behaving like a petulant child, why doesn't Bernie try to win over the American crowd?

who cares about pleasing the americans, they clearly prefer seeing tin-tops driving round in circles, and watching men in padded clothing run into each other. F1 is not their cup of tea :naughty:

I doubt the teams would enjoy hauling all their gear over the pond just for the Canadian gp... so I hope it stays in the US, but perhaps elsewhere, on a street circuit. <_<

I don't think Bernie seriously told it. Dats why he hinted if its not at Indy it'll be somewhere in las vegas or something. I hope we have a US gp. Its an important market for top teams like Ferrari n BMW

It's not like indy is a wonderful circuit. I wouldn't miss it if they removed it from the Calendar.

If the Americans want to play hardball and lose their GP, that is their problem

I think F1's days are numbered in North America. There simply is not enough interest in the sport. No sponsors, no drivers, no interest.

IF there is no American GP, then I doubt the Canadian one will remain for long either.

NASCAR markets to the people. It provides fair competition on a weekly basis, allows fans to not only pick a driver and team to cheer for, but then also gives that fan weekly races to attend. I am not a great fan of oval racing, but do accept it is challenging and provides a great spectacle.

My biggest hope is that Indycar and Champ car get back together again so their will be an open wheel racing series in North America, as I am certain that the appeal of F1 in North America is fading fast. How can any sport thrive on a continent that holds one or two races a year??????? There is too much other competion in North America for F1 to gain any kind of foothold to mount an assault on the fan dollar. NASCAR, Indycar, Champcar all provide exciting racing every weekend!!!!. F1 is a circus that puts on one show a year. You can see how the loss of this one show really isn't much of a concern for joe average NA sport fan. This just means he can schedule something else in his calender that weekend. Maybe the Portland Champcar race, the Texas Indy race , California Nascar race, Baseball, basketball or play golf that weekend. All of which provide as much entertainment as F1 has developed. They day F1 chose not to race at Indy over the tires was the day people realized they have better things to do with their time and money.

Typical Bernie pre signing posturing, you'd think people would know by now.

The American GP's going nowhere. Yep, you read it here first.

who cares about pleasing the americans, they clearly prefer seeing tin-tops driving round in circles, and watching men in padded clothing run into each other. F1 is not their cup of tea :naughty:

I'll just ignore your stupidity. I think people need to learn by now that people get p**sed over jokes about their own country, so you really lost a lot of my respect.

As for Bernie, let's get the GP out of Indy. Please. And build a track in East Rutherford, New Jersey. There's actually a new New Jersy Motorsports Park with a 4.0 mile road course coming, but it's in the middle of no where. They need to build it in East Rutherford. You'd get a lot of people from New York. But it has to be a good track, not a flat personalitiless blah like Indy. The big thing's gunna be sponsors, though, and the only sponsor that really cares about the US and F1 is ING. The car manufactures may say the care, but unless the put up some money to keep F1 in the States, then no, they don't give a damn.

-Eric

Well, today's answers from my co-workers (in the Philadelphia area) to that were " Who cares?" and "Oh, wait, that's those cars that look like Indy?" and "is this Indianapolis 500??"

America is so self sufficient/content when it comes to sport, that actually only us foreigners living here care about anything beyond nascar, motocross, basketball and football (the American style).

Yet, this is a HUGE auto market. That's why Toyota and maybe Honda will seriously try to race in NASCAR. Don't see Chrysler, Ford, or GM trying very hard to get into F1. So, who needs who more?

Although I don't completely disagree with you.

Typical Bernie pre signing posturing, you'd think people would know by now.

The American GP's going nowhere. Yep, you read it here first.

Yep, agreed.

I think F1's days are numbered in North America. There simply is not enough interest in the sport. No sponsors, no drivers, no interest.

IF there is no American GP, then I doubt the Canadian one will remain for long either.

If that is your stance you have obviously formed your opinion from what you have read on the internet. I have been to both races(multiple times). what the U.S. lacks in interest it makes up in the most fan friendly atmosphere on the circuit. I havemet and spoken to numerous drivers and team principals in Indy. that being said it would not surprise me if it went away.

As far as the Canadien Grand Prix leaving, NO CHANCE. It was a sellout this year! It is always one of the biggest parties of the Year and all the teams LOVE Canada.

If anyone can speak from experience they will completely agree.

Besides, for most attending the races one in North America a year is enough. It is too hard to get to both races every year. And quite frankly if it is on TV who cares where it is.

Vegas with a nice new track a la Turkey would be nice.

Watkins Glen ?!

In Indy F1 always be in the shadow, and quite frankly that's a shame since the 500 and Indy car is basically dead.

No deal in place yet for 2008 and beyond

Bernie Ecclestone awoke to a hostile American media on Sunday morning after suggesting that Formula One can live without its annual visit to the States.

The F1 supremo, who earlier described the US Grand Prix as 'not vital', had declared at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Saturday evening that his American hosts 'haven't done anything' to get behind his series, which in decades of history and eight years at its current venue has failed to break the US market.

Ecclestone, 76, was speaking after three meetings with Indy's Tony George this weekend failed to result in the extension of the expiring GP contract.

A writer for the local Post-Tribute responded: "Yeah, Bernie, you can go to Russia or India, but in what country does Ferrari, your biggest car owner, sell its most cars?

"That's America.

"

Even a writer for the usually supportive Indianapolis Star headlined that 'Arrogant F1 should hit road out of Indy'.

"I've got advice for (Tony) George. Learn how to say 'Bite me' in all the languages of today's F1 drivers.

"They are the Guests From Hell. And it's time for them to leave.

"Let me mention something to F1: Nobody outside of Indy cares about this race. And the truth is, very few inside of Indy care about this race."

Shame, as it was in fact a great race with a good crowd on hand...

http://totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=212219

The USGP needs a home. The only true home for it is Indianapolis. Nowhere else will you get the crowds from America, and everybody in racing has at least heard of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That's one of the main selling points of the race, is that it's held at the same track where 91 Indianapolis 500s have been run and so much history and innovation taking place at the track, it'll be the only place where F1 will be successful in the United States.

Plus, for all the manufacturers except Spyker and Renault (substitute Nissan), America is their biggest market. Norbert Haug even said he'd like two USGPs.

Besides, the dollar is weak, so European visitors (such as brits, as there are many on this forum) would be able to spend all the money they would like.

The USGP needs a home. The only true home for it is Indianapolis. Nowhere else will you get the crowds from America, and everybody in racing has at least heard of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That's one of the main selling points of the race, is that it's held at the same track where 91 Indianapolis 500s have been run and so much history and innovation taking place at the track, it'll be the only place where F1 will be successful in the United States.

Plus, for all the manufacturers except Spyker and Renault (substitute Nissan), America is their biggest market. Norbert Haug even said he'd like two USGPs.

Besides, the dollar is weak, so European visitors (such as brits, as there are many on this forum) would be able to spend all the money they would like.

Actually, I watched the Detroit GP in the '80s, and it was FENOMENAL. Eddie Cheever loved it, people in Detroit loved it, people were coming over from Canada AND US, all the businesses in downtown had a GP party. The only reason it folded was Mayor Young and his racesist (in reverse) attitude. I would love to see a US GP on the street circuit. As to who needs who, just watch the stands during this GP. Any truck race would pack more people in. They need to have it in the North, preferably near NYC. So, I agree that east Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or NY would be the best. Anything to get away from the toothless southern good 'ole boys and their Dale Earnhards.

Also, i agree with the market needs. And bernie did the worst thing possible - he played a hardball from the disadvantaged position. Maybe it's time to retire...

Actually, I watched the Detroit GP in the '80s, and it was FENOMENAL. Eddie Cheever loved it, people in Detroit loved it, people were coming over from Canada AND US, all the businesses in downtown had a GP party. The only reason it folded was Mayor Young and his racesist (in reverse) attitude. I would love to see a US GP on the street circuit. As to who needs who, just watch the stands during this GP. Any truck race would pack more people in. They need to have it in the North, preferably near NYC. So, I agree that east Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or NY would be the best. Anything to get away from the toothless southern good 'ole boys and their Dale Earnhards.

Also, i agree with the market needs. And bernie did the worst thing possible - he played a hardball from the disadvantaged position. Maybe it's time to retire...

Personally I think Detroit was an awful circuit :lol: It was a nightmare for overtaking in the old days...nowadays it would be impossible.

Personally I feel Bernie is trying his typical arrogant way of getting things done his way. If Bernie says F1 does not need America, America must say they dont need F1 as they have said. Bernie is used to getting things done his way. He is doing the same thing to Australia, and Australia must reply the same way Americans have done. Bernie's $hit must stop. For the first time I acknowledge Amerian arrogance. :clap3:

Actually, I watched the Detroit GP in the '80s, and it was FENOMENAL(1). Eddie Cheever loved it, people in Detroit loved it, people were coming over from Canada AND US, all the businesses in downtown had a GP party. The only reason it folded was Mayor Young and his racesist (in reverse) (2) attitude. I would love to see a US GP on the street circuit. As to who needs who, just watch the stands during this GP. Any truck race would pack more people in. They need to have it in the North, preferably near NYC. So, I agree that east Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or NY would be the best. Anything to get away from the toothless southern good 'ole(3) boys and their Dale Earnhards(4).

Also, i agree with the market needs. And bernie did the worst thing possible - he played a hardball from the disadvantaged position. (5) Maybe it's time to retire...

So I assume you would be a well-educated yankee with impeccable hygiene!

As a fellow American, I feel it's my duty to help you out with your spelling and grammatical mistakes!

1) it looks like you're trying to say "PHENOMENAL" here

2) first, it's spelled "racist" and the term you are seaching for is "reverse racism."

3) using apostrophes is fun! It looks like you are trying to use one in context of omission. Unfortunately, you have not omitted anything as "ole" is a word. It would have worked had you written "ol' " as it shows that you are omitting either the "e" or the "d."

4) It's spelled "Earnhardt." I mean, really....

5) I've never heard of playing "a" hardball although it sounds interesting. Your sentance should have read "he played hardball from a disadvantaged position." See, now it makes grammatical sense. As for Bernie being in a poor negotiating position... I'm afraid you are new to the Formula 1 game. Bernie has, does, and always will hold ALL the cards in F1.

I am glad you have taken a keen interest in Formula 1 & hope you tackle your summer reading list with the same passion. Please read Mr. Varsha's excellent article on F1 in the US that is currently posted on Speedtv.com and you might gain some insight on the commercial aspects of F1 and America's ties with those commerical interests. Take heed! Mr. Varsha is a Southerner! ;)

So I assume you would be a well-educated yankee with impeccable hygiene!

As a fellow American, I feel it's my duty to help you out with your spelling and grammatical mistakes!

1) it looks like you're trying to say "PHENOMENAL" here

2) first, it's spelled "racist" and the term you are seaching for is "reverse racism."

3) using apostrophes is fun! It looks like you are trying to use one in context of omission. Unfortunately, you have not omitted anything as "ole" is a word. It would have worked had you written "ol' " as it shows that you are omitting either the "e" or the "d."

4) It's spelled "Earnhardt." I mean, really....

5) I've never heard of playing "a" hardball although it sounds interesting. Your sentance should have read "he played hardball from a disadvantaged position." See, now it makes grammatical sense. As for Bernie being in a poor negotiating position... I'm afraid you are new to the Formula 1 game. Bernie has, does, and always will hold ALL the cards in F1.

I am glad you have taken a keen interest in Formula 1 & hope you tackle your summer reading list with the same passion. Please read Mr. Varsha's excellent article on F1 in the US that is currently posted on Speedtv.com and you might gain some insight on the commercial aspects of F1 and America's ties with those commerical interests. Take heed! Mr. Varsha is a Southerner! ;)

That's hygene to you, buddy. ;)

-Eric

I can't understand bernie's comment of, "we have no American sponsors". Jeezus, we sponsor your darling Ferrari team with Phillip Morris of Richmond Virginia. Intel, AT&T among others....what an azz...umm by the way, how many Hungarian sponsors do you have Bernie?

I can't understand bernie's comment of, "we have no American sponsors". Jeezus, we sponsor your darling Ferrari team with Phillip Morris of Richmond Virginia. Intel, AT&T among others....what an azz...umm by the way, how many Hungarian sponsors do you have Bernie?

It's not so much about the sponsors in Hungary or such countries.. you know, the people in Hungary are not the kind that has so much money as to go to a F1 race, but all the rich people from Europe go there, so it's worth it for Bernie & co. When Alonso wasn't around, the Catalunya circuit would fill with just foreigners! It's just that the sport is really popular in Europe, I don't know about the States though.

-Eric

:clap3: Great irony there, if all you can do to pick holes in a post by a non English speaker is run a spellcheck, you should at least do the same for your own post.

-Eric

Broseph: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=hygiene or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_hygiene

:clap3: Great irony there, if all you can do to pick holes in a post by a non English speaker is run a spellcheck, you should at least do the same for your own post.

I did. I hope he speaks English if he is from the wonderful state of Delaware!