Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Bernie's Cavalier Attitude Towards Us G. P

Double post due to lag. Someone really needs to optimise this forum :P

What a horrific and fatuous comparison. Now, do you mean to say that the German Government counted those people, or, as is more likely, did the promoters of the event report the number of people in attendance?

Just to reemphasize, in the United States, which certainly has been in the top five for science and technology in the world over the course of the 20th century, it was reported as fact by major media outlets, who never bothered to do any independent research, year after year, that just shy of half a million people attended the Indianapolis 500. It was only after someone said, "Wait a minute," and did some research, that the true number was discovered. Sports reporters don't always let the truth get between them and a good story.

So, you'll have to do better than the racial characteristics of the German people or the unverifiable, if vivid, stories of a few ink stained wretches to convince me. You know: data.

I don't think you understand.

1) If you have a problem with the figures, ask Leif Snellman, Hans Etzrodt, Felix Muelas, Holger Merten, Jeroen Bruintjes, Marcel Visbeen, Dennis Drenthe, Mattijs Diepraam, where did they got their data for their books, magazine articles and

websites.

I did posted links on another post.

And there are a lot of books written by these people, too many to mention. Maybe you could find some scaned on Atlas F1 or F1 DB.

2) Because Germany was no.1 in science and technology they created created the fantastic silver arrows GP cars. And a lot of other things. All fascinating and unequaled back them by any other nation.

3) "racial characteristics" - The germans were simply very thorough and organised.

4) Counting seat ?!

Nothing to do with it. It wasn't Indy or american oval racing.

People could/would see The Greatest Show On Earth from their house thru the window or on the balcony (think Monaco today), or standing on both sides of the road (like at rallies today), or on a hill nearby or climbed in trees (think Spa, Nurburgring).

So I assume you would be a well-educated yankee with impeccable hygiene!

As a fellow American, I feel it's my duty to help you out with your spelling and grammatical mistakes!

1) it looks like you're trying to say "PHENOMENAL" here

2) first, it's spelled "racist" and the term you are seaching for is "reverse racism."

3) using apostrophes is fun! It looks like you are trying to use one in context of omission. Unfortunately, you have not omitted anything as "ole" is a word. It would have worked had you written "ol' " as it shows that you are omitting either the "e" or the "d."

4) It's spelled "Earnhardt." I mean, really....

5) I've never heard of playing "a" hardball although it sounds interesting. Your sentance should have read "he played hardball from a disadvantaged position." See, now it makes grammatical sense. As for Bernie being in a poor negotiating position... I'm afraid you are new to the Formula 1 game. Bernie has, does, and always will hold ALL the cards in F1.

I am glad you have taken a keen interest in Formula 1 & hope you tackle your summer reading list with the same passion. Please read Mr. Varsha's excellent article on F1 in the US that is currently posted on Speedtv.com and you might gain some insight on the commercial aspects of F1 and America's ties with those commerical interests. Take heed! Mr. Varsha is a Southerner! ;)

I assume you mean "sentence." I can play that game too. My mistakes are acknowledged. I wrote this post late, I had work to do that night, and had to put to sleep my epileptic son, who has difficulties falling asleep due to his meds. Thankfully, this forum has people like you. Now, could you post direction on how to use a spellcheck feature? I'd appreciate it.

As to being new to Formula 1, I guess you are right, since I followed it rather closely only since about 1971. FOM is a business. So is Indianapolis Speedway. Again, watching the broadcast last weekend, I saw more empty seats than the full ones. If I were the owner of this facility, my thought would be that any truck-racing event would bring me more money than this one race. But, well, I do not own a speedway, so the point is irrelevant. No go and find a mistake or two in this post. You seem to derive a sublime pleasure in doing so... :eusa_think:

Personally I think Detroit was an awful circuit :lol: It was a nightmare for overtaking in the old days...nowadays it would be impossible.

Well, it was great WATCHING and listening to the race ( nothing like, I think, V-12 sound among the skyscrapers). I did not try to asses the race on technical merits :unsure: . I know drivers hated it due to poor surface and the presence of manhole covers.

Broseph: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=hygiene or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_hygiene

I did. I hope he speaks English if he is from the wonderful state of Delaware!

Just because I live in Delaware, does not mean I was born here, or even on this continent. I guess you were ASSuming..I think I left enough hnits around to at least indicate a continent of my origin. Or, you could check out where the name "Piotr" came from. Would you like a link? You know, as not to strain your faculties. I mean you cannot find that out using a spellcheck function...

There will continue to be a USGP, the only question is: Will it be at Indianapolis? I hope not. I've got my fingers crossed for a west coast venue...Long Beach or Laguna Seca.

Laguna would be interesting but is it safe enough for F1? And are the facilities up to F1 standards?

And even though the corkscrew would challenge any F1 driver, are there really that many decent overtaking spots (for F1 cars, remeber)? i'm not so sure. Last weekends USGP wasnt bad at all

There is a corner that leads into the pit straight that is almost at a right angle, that would be a fine overtaking place, as would the hairpin at turn 1

Also, I think Laguna is too short for an F1 track
True, but it has 2 very challenging corners like the corkscrew & the final corner but yeah, it is a bit too short!

Also, I think Laguna is too short for an F1 track

Not really, it just means more laps will be needed. There is no rule about how short or long a track can be

Not really, it just means more laps will be needed. There is no rule about how short or long a track can be

well i still think its too short! a 90-lap race would be too repetitive

Doesnt bother me, anything other than the traditional indy yawnfest. Laguna Seca is a track that would challenge them. Indy is just a massive section of full throttle followed by a mickey mouse infield

I assume you mean "sentence." I can play that game too. My mistakes are acknowledged. I wrote this post late, I had work to do that night, and had to put to sleep my epileptic son, who has difficulties falling asleep due to his meds. Thankfully, this forum has people like you. Now, could you post direction on how to use a spellcheck feature? I'd appreciate it.

As to being new to Formula 1, I guess you are right, since I followed it rather closely only since about 1971. FOM is a business. So is Indianapolis Speedway. Again, watching the broadcast last weekend, I saw more empty seats than the full ones. If I were the owner of this facility, my thought would be that any truck-racing event would bring me more money than this one race. But, well, I do not own a speedway, so the point is irrelevant. No go and find a mistake or two in this post. You seem to derive a sublime pleasure in doing so... :eusa_think:

The facility is built to house 275,000 people for the Indianapolis 500. Because of the different layout for the F1 race, there are many seats that aren't useful because they're too far away or blocked. Also, the crowd for the USGP is only at about 100,000 or so for Sunday.

DSC01854.jpg

See, the seats on the outside, which have a view of the first corner, are full. The seats on the inside, where you can't see anything except a bit of the front straight and maybe a video moniter, not so full. There are more people on the edges of the inside block, if you notice. Those on the far edge can see the pits and those on hte near edge can see some of the first corner.

Doesnt bother me, anything other than the traditional indy yawnfest. Laguna Seca is a track that would challenge them. Indy is just a massive section of full throttle followed by a mickey mouse infield

True, but sunday's race wasnt bad. I expect it will end up being moved to yet another street circuit anyway

There is a corner that leads into the pit straight that is almost at a right angle, that would be a fine overtaking place, as would the hairpin at turn 1

Yep. I would be fascinated to see how the engineers compromise set up to cater for the cork screw.

Why does the length of the lap have any bearing on whether it should be included as a GP track or not? It makes qualifying a lot more interesting because there is less time and chance of the drivers widening thir gaps over their competition. If two drivers are closely matched over one lap at Spa, they are damned close because it's a long lap.

Bring back the 'Ring!!

Bring back the 'Ring!!

H3II yes.

Le Mans and Indy can battle it for the image, but they got nothing on the Ring and Spa.

The greatest "circuits" in the world.

To say, I won on the green hell, preferably wet, is a terrific, perhaps the ephitome of racing.

Yep, I appologise. I was having a rough day - sorry to take it out on your post. :blush:

I think Laguna would be a fantasic F1 track if they were able to make it a little longer. I'm sure they would kill the corkscrew as well as Zonta got some air under his right front tire coming out of it at the Historics last year.

The facility is built to house 275,000 people for the Indianapolis 500. Because of the different layout for the F1 race, there are many seats that aren't useful because they're too far away or blocked. Also, the crowd for the USGP is only at about 100,000 or so for Sunday.

DSC01854.jpg

See, the seats on the outside, which have a view of the first corner, are full. The seats on the inside, where you can't see anything except a bit of the front straight and maybe a video moniter, not so full. There are more people on the edges of the inside block, if you notice. Those on the far edge can see the pits and those on hte near edge can see some of the first corner.

Oh, OK. but, 100,000 is a crowd at any NASCAR race or a football game. Then again, F1 is really not an "American" sport, so I guess that's not too bad.

OK, I'll shut up now... :rolleyes:

Yep, I appologise. I was having a rough day - sorry to take it out on your post. :blush:

I think Laguna would be a fantasic F1 track if they were able to make it a little longer. I'm sure they would kill the corkscrew as well as Zonta got some air under his right front tire coming out of it at the Historics last year.

OKay! No problem, I had a few of those... :rolleyes:

Now, just from a completely non-racing point of view, they need to make theUSGP more "showy." Ya know, a parade, pre-race festivities, etc. And the more glitz, the better (for continuation of the USGP, that is). Just great racing is not going to do it. People in the US want to be entertained. So, methinks Miami, Vegas, or anything in SoCal so that you can get in some celebrities. This will bring more TV coverage, more viewrship, etc. Yup, it smells of selling out, but may result in higher popularity and maybe more tV coverage?

Just thinking outloud.

OKay! No problem, I had a few of those... :rolleyes:

Now, just from a completely non-racing point of view, they need to make theUSGP more "showy." Ya know, a parade, pre-race festivities, etc. And the more glitz, the better (for continuation of the USGP, that is). Just great racing is not going to do it. People in the US want to be entertained. So, methinks Miami, Vegas, or anything in SoCal so that you can get in some celebrities. This will bring more TV coverage, more viewrship, etc. Yup, it smells of selling out, but may result in higher popularity and maybe more tV coverage?

Just thinking outloud.

Sort of Monaco but without the class? :naughty: