Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumpdoc

The $hit Is Hitting The Fan

btw 8 people have been arrested In connection with the latest event, and all are Doctors

Poverty ? I don't think so.

That's something that niggles me also. Probably because the only muslim folk I know are a damn sight wealthier than me. And I ain't poor.

btw 8 people have been arrested In connection with the latest event, and all are Doctors

Poverty ? I don't think so.

Good point! Glad you made it. It's a bit more complicated than it seems though.

You're right - people obviously don't become suicide bombers because they're poor and need some quick cash! But when whole communities are poor, in ill health, uneducated and lacking good role models it breeds ignorance, resentment, anger and distrust of the rest of society.

The 8 people who have been arrested may well not be british. I know that at least one of them came from Amman, and it seems likely that most of them came from poor countries to work here. Some were students or technicians, rather than doctors. I don't know enough about them to comment on their backgrounds really.

Most british muslims however are extremely poor, ill and uneducated. See this BBC report, or this UK government fact sheet*. These are the main reasons for the anger and resentment from the UK Muslim community, imho. Obviously the situation may or may not be different in Middle Eastern countries, where many of the latest bombers probably originated, but even if they came here with good intentions, when living here they will have spent a lot of time in the UK muslim community, which has been radicalised for the reasons I gave above. In a way, it's not surprising that intelligent people make the best terrorists/criminals, but surely the main influence making them do it is the radicalised, angry community that they live and worship in.

*According to the BBC report, over 90% of UK-Pakistanis and -Bangladeshis are Muslims.