Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yoda McFly

Rfactor

Okay, I know we talked about racing games at one time, but my attendance is so spotty, that I have no clue when this was last brought up...

So, I was impressed enough by the demo of rFactor to go ahead and spend the 40 spacebucks on it..

In the vernacular of the intertubes: ZOMFG! :clap3:

Among other things, so far I've downloaded the V8 Supercars mod, the CCWS 2006 mod, and a few tracks. Last night, over the course of many "adult beverages" I drove a Lola ChampCar on the Nordschlieffe ... Woo hoo! Unfortunately, currently, many of the files are hosted on various "free" hosting services, such as rapidshare, so there's a limit to how much you can download in a day, but ... damn, am I going to enjoy this.

I also need to figure out how to make the replay system give me external camera views...

Okay, I know we talked about racing games at one time, but my attendance is so spotty, that I have no clue when this was last brought up...

So, I was impressed enough by the demo of rFactor to go ahead and spend the 40 spacebucks on it..

In the vernacular of the intertubes: ZOMFG! :clap3:

Among other things, so far I've downloaded the V8 Supercars mod, the CCWS 2006 mod, and a few tracks. Last night, over the course of many "adult beverages" I drove a Lola ChampCar on the Nordschlieffe ... Woo hoo! Unfortunately, currently, many of the files are hosted on various "free" hosting services, such as rapidshare, so there's a limit to how much you can download in a day, but ... damn, am I going to enjoy this.

I also need to figure out how to make the replay system give me external camera views...

Hehehe...I gave it a try again a few days ago, version 1.250 is a big imrpovement for ignorant guys like me. I got the LeMans course, the V8 supercar (tried a ford on Bathurst). The problem is: I am totally unable to make an usable setup! My cars keep understeering and I keep crashing all over. Maybe it's just too hard to use it with a stick. :(

It's very frustrating. I have 1979 F1 season too, but it sucks if I can't even go through a straight without crashing at least three times in a row!

Hehehe...I gave it a try again a few days ago, version 1.250 is a big imrpovement for ignorant guys like me. I got the LeMans course, the V8 supercar (tried a ford on Bathurst). The problem is: I am totally unable to make an usable setup! My cars keep understeering and I keep crashing all over. Maybe it's just too hard to use it with a stick. :(

It's very frustrating. I have 1979 F1 season too, but it sucks if I can't even go through a straight without crashing at least three times in a row!

My recommendation as someone that has spent *way* too much time on driving games in his life ...

Get a wheel. That's the only way to do it. You're still going to miss the butt-feel, but you need proportional brake and throttle. If by stick you mean full-sized joystick ... Talk to Mike, I know he had a system that worked with one of those, but I could never make it work.

What did work for me before I got a good wheel was a PS2-style controller; especially if you can find one that has some sensitivity in the buttons. (Clarification here if you're not a console game player. With most console controllers, including the PC ones that are made to look like those for your favorite console), the buttons are purely digital, on or off. With the PS2 (and I think all other consoles of that generation, XBox, etc), they finally made the buttons pressure sensitive, so that instead of on or off, you have some degree of proportion (only like 8 steps, I think, but better than nothing).

The way I drive in PS2 games, and did with that controller on the PC was with the left stick for steering, the left and bottom buttons on the right side for throttle and brakes, set up so that the thumb joint was on the throttle, and the tip could hit the brakes. Then it's just practice practice practice ...

If you want to talk about setups and stuff, feel free to PM me, but the good news about the good sims (rFactor, GPL, GTR) is that real-life setup knowledge passes over to the "games" quite well. Actually, I finally figured out how to make a Salisbury diff work in GPL after re-reading the section on diffs in Carroll Smith's Drive To Win.

Not a good screenie, but a screenie nonetheless. Approaching the bridge at Antoniusbuche:

champcar_antoniusbuche_01.png

I've been considering between rFactor and Grand Prix 4. I'm still confused what exactly rFactor is. You download it online and pay via PayPal? Hmm.

Grand Prix 4 has less mods, it seems, and costs $139.99 to get new, $89.99 used, and I don't really trust used games with viruses and such.

Any advice?

-Eric

I've been considering between rFactor and Grand Prix 4. I'm still confused what exactly rFactor is. You download it online and pay via PayPal? Hmm.

Grand Prix 4 has less mods, it seems, and costs $139.99 to get new, $89.99 used, and I don't really trust used games with viruses and such.

Any advice?

-Eric

Rfactor.

It's cheaper, it's more realistic, it's more customizable and you can race almost any race, any category, any year you can imagine.

That is, if you can get thos frigging cars to stay on the road! :furious:

Any advice?

-Eric

rFactor is kind of like Open Source applied to racing games. The engine itself is not open source, and it is a ground-up brand-new engine. It comes with a few cars and a few tracks; the "normal" way to buy it is download, then pay for your license. There are several ways to pay for it, one of which is PayPal; you can also order it on CD.

The open-ness comes in its modifiability. Unlike most (all) other racing sims, it was designed from scratch to allow for easy modification, sort of like the Unreal engine in FPS games. Because modification is so easy (relatively) and well-documented, there are (or will be. Actually, are) tons of mods for it. Currently I have the V8 Supercars and 2006 ChampCar carsets; I'm in the process of downloading the '79 F1 carset. There aren't as many tracks available as there are for GPL, but there are many more cars available. Generally, they're all free to download. (I don't know if the license precludes charging for mods, but I've not seen a pay one yet).

I don't know Grand Prix 4, but I have both GTRs, and GT Legends, as well as GPL. GT Legends was a total disappointment, GTR is good, but the manufacturer took some measures that I have strong philosophical objections to (google "Starforce"). GPL is awesome, but there aren't many car mods for it, and even with the support that it has, it is becoming dated.

rFactor won't blow up your DVD drive, it seems to enjoy solid community support, and from the standpoint of "moving forward", is the best opportunity to drive a modern F1 car at the Gr

rFactor is kind of like Open Source applied to racing games. The engine itself is not open source, and it is a ground-up brand-new engine. It comes with a few cars and a few tracks; the "normal" way to buy it is download, then pay for your license. There are several ways to pay for it, one of which is PayPal; you can also order it on CD.

The open-ness comes in its modifiability. Unlike most (all) other racing sims, it was designed from scratch to allow for easy modification, sort of like the Unreal engine in FPS games. Because modification is so easy (relatively) and well-documented, there are (or will be. Actually, are) tons of mods for it. Currently I have the V8 Supercars and 2006 ChampCar carsets; I'm in the process of downloading the '79 F1 carset. There aren't as many tracks available as there are for GPL, but there are many more cars available. Generally, they're all free to download. (I don't know if the license precludes charging for mods, but I've not seen a pay one yet).

I don't know Grand Prix 4, but I have both GTRs, and GT Legends, as well as GPL. GT Legends was a total disappointment, GTR is good, but the manufacturer took some measures that I have strong philosophical objections to (google "Starforce"). GPL is awesome, but there aren't many car mods for it, and even with the support that it has, it is becoming dated.

rFactor won't blow up your DVD drive, it seems to enjoy solid community support, and from the standpoint of "moving forward", is the best opportunity to drive a modern F1 car at the Gr

Ok. I saw the 1998 CART mod and said "**** it...I'm gittin me some rFactor"...love loooveee looooooooveeee ittttttttttt. Mmm. Yummy.

(I'm actually sober right now. I just love everything that reminds me of 1990s CART!!)

That's all. Have a nice day everyone!

I would look into this item from Thrustmaster.

Alternately, there is supposed to be a way to use xbox controllers on PCs ... They've got pressure-sensitive buttons. Beyond that, check with your local Worst Buy; the one I used was an off-brand that I got there. Just check the packaging for "pressure-sensitive" or "progressive control" in the description of the buttons.

Two questions:

1) Is this a PC game or do you need a console like xbox or something?

2) If it's a PC game, I suppose you have to run Windows, so does anyone know which version it needs minimum?

It is a PC only game. But you can use console pads If you have the correct adapters for them. :naughty:

System Requirements

1.4 GHz processor

Windows 98 SE, ME, 2000, XP, XP 64-bit (will NOT run in Windows 95 or Windows 98 first edition)

512 MB RAM

Geforce4 4200 or Radeon 9200

128 MB video RAM

DirectX 9.0c

2.0 GB of hard drive space for installation

Internet connection required for one-time activation

http://www.rfactor.net Where you buy the game.

On other note, I'm struggling to setup of for Istanbul, my best time Is 1.23.4. But i've seen 1.22.3 ! Dammit :blink:

I would look into this item from Thrustmaster.

Alternately, there is supposed to be a way to use xbox controllers on PCs ... They've got pressure-sensitive buttons. Beyond that, check with your local Worst Buy; the one I used was an off-brand that I got there. Just check the packaging for "pressure-sensitive" or "progressive control" in the description of the buttons.

Alright, thanks.

And personally, I love me some Worst Buy. I got NR2003 for $10 there, and 3 months later it's on eBay for $120!

It is a PC only game. But you can use console pads If you have the correct adapters for them. :naughty:

Not if you have a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller. Both use USB, and you can downoad free drivers for them :naughty:

I'm a little short on video hardware, but I could get by on my Win2k partition otherwise.

I wonder if it'll run on Wine in Linux. :eusa_think:

I haven't tried it yet...

Ordered the controller...real bargain...can't wait to get it so I can play again! And can't wait for the 1998 CART FedEx Series mod to be released!

Anyone have good places to get mods? The only one I know of is rFactor Central...

Only place I know of is rFactor Central; and unless you donate, getting bandwidth can be a pain ... PM me and we can work out a way for you to use my bandwidth to get any mods I have that you want. (Moderators, note that these are all freely distributed modifications, I'm not discussing anything illegal, but I do want him to take the conversation out of band. Thanks for all you do. :) )

Edit: Realized that I used 'mod' in reference to both Modifications and Moderators in the same sentence. Edited for clarity.

Time to dig up an old thread.

If rFactor was a girl, she'd be the perfect woman.

Mmm mmm I love that game. It's sooo siiick, you can put all sorts of cars on all sorts of bizarre tracks. I finally got the hang of it and won at Montreal in a Champ Car (Katherine Legge's of course, the pink one from Road America)...I LOVE THIS GAME. Well worth the money.

And huuuuuuuuuuge thanks to Yoda for the controller advice, it works great! Also using it on PS2 now, my Gran Turismo 4 performance is 12 times better.

I reccomend this game to anyone with any interest in racing games. It's great, you really get a feel for how different cars act on the same track. I have Champ Car 2006+2005, F1 2006, F1 2005, V8 Supercar, F1 1979, and NASCAR COT, now I'm focusing on adding some more tracks (put on Long Beach and Lime Rock this morning, will do more later). Will probably add Champ Car Atlantic and GP2 in the near future, will keep looking for IRL IndyCar and ALMS. Overall love the game.

We waiting for the video you promised Eric...... You dug up the topic now pay the price...

btw, i play GTR 2 and i am liking it... i tried rfactor demo and found it too hard for my liking....

EDIT:- quote included

:lol::lol:

I can explain myself. My only video camera is on my cell phone. I lost my cell phone USB and don't know anyone else with a KRZR, so am therefore stuck searching for it because I don't feel like spending all the money on it, because you can't buy the USB separate, you need to buy it with the software and headphones that I already have.