Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Bourdais Signs For Toro Rosso

The French maybe jumping the gun a little in their eagerness to have a French driver back on the grid.

It will happen I have little doubt, but I will wait for an official media release from either STR or SB himself.

Torro Rosso confirm Bourdais for 2008 via. Autosport

Scuderia Toro Rosso have confirmed three-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais will race for the team in 2008.

The Frenchman will join German Sebastian Vettel at the Italian squad next season.

"It has been a long time coming, but here we are," said Bourdais. "I would like to thank everyone at Red Bull for believing in me and giving me this long-awaited opportunity to race in Formula One.

"I must also thank Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing for letting me pursue my dream and allowing me to test for Scuderia Toro Rosso a few times this year."

The 28-year-old Frenchman will be free to join the team after the final round of this year's Champ Car Series on 2 December.

His talents warrant the opportunity and a I wish him well.

The car and team both still suck ...

Bourdais's really good in Champ Car, but I get the feeling Doornbos is a bit better.

It should be interesting to see a comparison between the American development series and the European ones, though, with Bourdais and Vettel as teammates.

He's only here because he's fed up of being spanked by Doorknobs, who couldn't get an F1 drive. Hmm.

Bourdais was slower than Liuzzi and Speed in tests, and you can't really say it was due to lack of time in the car, because Speed and Liuzzi never really got to test, and have retired a lot during the races, so don't get a lot of seat time.

However, I think it's nice to see him get a shot, he really is a great driver. However, it is a little suspicious that when CCWS went to spec cars, the other drivers caught up to him :eusa_think:

At last Torro Rosso have a pair of two serious drivers with ambitions!

Hurrah for them!

Now all they need is some direction! (that goes for both teams)

STR will never go anywhere with Franz Tost and Gerhard Berger, no matter who the drivers are.

Indeed........................

It'll be interesting to see both these rookies in the same team. Would be a great battle to watch because both of them are talented

You suck too mate... what would you prefer Toro Rosso out? and while you're at it you can kick out Spyker and Honda too. and you'll end up with 16 cars on the grid. Of course it's much easier to critize others than to do something positive, which from your comment you obviously never did.

You suck too mate... what would you prefer Toro Rosso out? and while you're at it you can kick out Spyker and Honda too. and you'll end up with 16 cars on the grid. Of course it's much easier to critize others than to do something positive, which from your comment you obviously never did.

I don't think that's entirely fair. I think we all agree it's better to have Torro Rosso in F1 than nobody, but that's not to say they're above criticism. Fundamentally they are a badly mismanaged team who have not proven they have the aptitude to be in F1. What Yoda is saying is that Bourdais has signed himself to what many believe is the least promising team on the grid. Spyker, given their meager budget, can be forgiven for their lack of pace. Torro Rosso are comparitively well funded, but it's clear their management is in turmoil, and it's arguable that they won't be around much longer if the current state of affairs continues.

I don't think that's entirely fair. I think we all agree it's better to have Torro Rosso in F1 than nobody, but that's not to say they're above criticism. Fundamentally they are a badly mismanaged team who have not proven they have the aptitude to be in F1. What Yoda is saying is that Bourdais has signed himself to what many believe is the least promising team on the grid. Spyker, given their meager budget, can be forgiven for their lack of pace. Torro Rosso are comparitively well funded, but it's clear their management is in turmoil, and it's arguable that they won't be around much longer if the current state of affairs continues.

Nice post :clap3:

F1 is a very competitive world therefore it is not really suprising where they stand and if you want to compare them to Spyker you can do that with Honda too... and it won't speak in Honda favour. I have to admit I have no clues about the size of their budget or how (well) the team is managed on which you seem very well informed. At least they give a clear indication they want to improve by hiring two interesting drivers. Finally it looks as though everything Gerhard Berger is doing is considered as Sh#t by a large numbers of people on this forum and if you have a look at my avatar you'll understand why I can't agree. :rolleyes:

:eusa_think::huh:

Well said, "Out Of Context Man"!

Now, I think we're equal on the ad hominem attack score, so let's leave it at that.

:thbup:

Oli pretty much summed up my response. That said, I'll give the amplified version of what I wrote, i.e. what I should have written:

First and foremost, the teams that I believe should be banned from the grid are the manufacturers. I've said it before in this very forum, and truthfully, not that long ago, but it obviously bears repeating: massive manufacturer involvement and the rampant spending that manufacturer-backed budgets allow, have led to the current state of affairs. I whole-heartedly support the "minnows" past and present, such as Shadow, Arrows, Footwork, Toleman, Andrea Moda, and a huge list of others. The fact is, as the sport is configured now, men such as Colin Chapman, Black Jack and Dan Gurney would never get anywhere. So, for you to believe that I want to see STR n

Indeed. Changing drivers at STR is like putting racing tyres on a Yugo....it looks nice, but wont really make any difference.

STR does suck. They suck not because they are a small team, but rather because they aren't an effective team. Want proof? Look at Super Aguri last year. They pulled some impressive performances out of an overweight, obsolete Arrows chassis. This year they are running last year's car and still have managed to do better than STR and it's Adrien Newey-influenced/designed chassis. The car sucks. The team is not managing it's resources well and that shows in it's results to date.

He's only here because he's fed up of being spanked by Doorknobs, who couldn't get an F1 drive. Hmm.

:lol: Oh, indeed Russ!

STR does suck. They suck not because they are a small team, but rather because they aren't an effective team. Want proof? Look at Super Aguri last year. They pulled some impressive performances out of an overweight, obsolete Arrows chassis. This year they are running last year's car and still have managed to do better than STR and it's Adrien Newey-influenced/designed chassis. The car sucks. The team is not managing it's resources well and that shows in it's results to date.

:thbup: Couldn't agree more. **** STR, let's bring in a real team like Audi or something.

STR sucks, Honda sucks, Super aguri sucks, Toyota sucks, hey ALL the back markers suck, but the worst would have to be HONDA, with all the mega bucks some of these teams have at their disposal, with F.A. to crow about I think, like Minardi in the past, STR do not a bad job, considering the BUCKS they have to play with!!

STR sucks, Honda sucks, Super aguri sucks, Toyota sucks, hey ALL the back markers suck, but the worst would have to be HONDA, with all the mega bucks some of these teams have at their disposal, with F.A. to crow about I think, like Minardi in the past, STR do not a bad job, considering the BUCKS they have to play with!!

Thanks man :clap3: