Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YHR

Spin Doctoring And Horrible Reporting

Alonso free to leave McLaren

Tuesday, 07, August, 2007, 17:24

Ron Dennis has signalled that Fernando Alonso is free to leave McLaren after this season if he is cannot live with the team

Alonso free to leave McLaren

Tuesday, 07, August, 2007, 17:24

Ron Dennis has signalled that Fernando Alonso is free to leave McLaren after this season if he is cannot live with the team's commitment to treating both drivers equally.

Alonso is contracted to McLaren until the end of 2009, but after his increasingly tense relationship with team-mate Lewis Hamilton flared up in Hungary, he told the Spanish press that he was unsure whether he would see out the three years.

Alonso is understood to be unhappy that Hamilton has been given equal status in the team, when he had expectations of being the clear lead driver.

But Dennis remains adamant that McLaren's commitment to parity between the two drivers is non-negotiable.

"We will continue to function as a grand prix team with specific values and if anybody does not want to be part of those values

In reality Ron Dennis has said nothing specifically about Alonso being free to leave the team.

Now that Hamilton has been proven disloyal they try to show that Alonso is the disloyal who wants to leave McLaren, and he does not admit both drivers being treated equally... blah, blah, blah...

Crap.

You dont get it mate - 9 times out of 10 the press are briefed by a 'leak' within the team - This story is being carried by the broadsheets, the red tops and the respected F1 sites - do you think they are all making it up.

Try to think outside the box my friend.

Fed up, there is no reasoning with him, his a typical fan boy who can't understand reasoning. Alonso could crap on the front of the car with his pants round his head and this dude would probably hail him for it.

Back to topic though, the press can't post anything be it in the papers, tv or even web sites unless it has been said. Though they can twist things like this article had done.

You dont get it mate - 9 times out of 10 the press are briefed by a 'leak' within the team - This story is being carried by the broadsheets, the red tops and the respected F1 sites - do you think they are all making it up.

Try to think outside the box my friend.

It is pure crap and tabloid journalism

It is pure crap and tabloid journalism

Agree- this article is crap. The original in the Times is a little better- it quoted what the paper described as a 'well-placed' source as confirming Alonso may quit the team two years ahead of schedule.

"My understanding is that he's been told he can go because they're so fed up with him. Ron is just very p**sed off with both of them (Alonso and Hamilton)," the unnamed source said.

I can believe that to be honest. If Ron is unhappy with the situation it's pretty clear Alonso will be the one who is let go. Nevertheless I agree with you about the press generally. Both the British press and the Spanish press have been absolutely disgraceful in their coverage of this.

Agree- this article is crap. The original in the Times is a little better- it quoted what the paper described as a 'well-placed' source as confirming Alonso may quit the team two years ahead of schedule.

"My understanding is that he's been told he can go because they're so fed up with him. Ron is just very p**sed off with both of them (Alonso and Hamilton)," the unnamed source said.

I can believe that to be honest. If Ron is unhappy with the situation it's pretty clear Alonso will be the one who is let go. Nevertheless I agree with you about the press generally. Both the British press and the Spanish press have been absolutely disgraceful in their coverage of this.

Interesting. I would have thought a proven 26 year old two time world Champion who can drive in wet weather would have more worth then that.

Oh one that follows team orders even when he isn't happy with them by the way.

Seems like the perfect driver to me

Oh well I guess I don't understand this sport. If there is a shed of truth about Ron Dennis being unhappy with Alonso, then I hope Alonso gets on with BMW.

Just remember the last Great Rookie Jenson Button when he had a seat on the number one team. How many championships does he have now???? Rookie drivers are a huge risk to bet the bank on.

Interesting. I would have thought a proven 26 year old two time world Champion who can drive in wet weather would have more worth then that.

I guess I don't understand this sport.

If Alonso isn't happy there's nothing Ron can do to keep him there. Fernando has already indicated he is unsure whether he'll stay.

There's no point in flogging a dead horse by trying to keep him there against his will.

Oh one that follows team orders even when he isn't happy with them by the way.

The other thing you have to remember is that Ron and Lewis have known each other 10 years- he's watched him grow up. There's no way one incident like this (for which Lewis has apologised) is going to destroy that kind of relationship. Fernando on the other hand is an outsider, so he's the obvious choice to leave. Add to that the fact that Lewis is a long term investment- he's being groomed to be a champion of the future. Fernando may only be 26, but four years age difference is a long time in F1.

If Alonso isn't happy there's nothing Ron can do to keep him there. Fernando has already indicated he is unsure whether he'll stay.

There's no point in flogging a dead horse by trying to keep him there against his will.

Very true. I am quite amazed tha Alonso didn't have some stipulations in his contract over his qualifying runs. I suppose he thought with a rookie as a team mate it wouldn't be necessary. BMW must be just licking their chops thinking that a driver of Alono's quality might actually be availabe to them when their car reaches it's peak next year.

I truly believe the loss of Alonso would really hurt McLaren.

Very true. I am quite amazed tha Alonso didn't have some stipulations in his contract over his qualifying runs. I suppose he thought with a rookie as a team mate it wouldn't be necessary. BMW must be just licking their chops thinking that a driver of Alono's quality might actually be availabe to them when their car reaches it's peak next year.

I agree. Dr. Mario must be jumping up and down in joy at that perspective

BMW would be a gamble though- there's no shortage of teams that have looked in contention (eg Honda) that have then failed miserably to capitalise.

Renault would seem a much better bet- after all at least he knows he is guaranteed No. 1 status.

The other thing you have to remember is that Ron and Lewis have known each other 10 years- he's watched him grow up. There's no way one incident like this (for which Lewis has apologised) is going to destroy that kind of relationship. Fernando on the other hand is an outsider, so he's the obvious choice to leave. Add to that the fact that Lewis is a long term investment- he's being groomed to be a champion of the future. Fernando may only be 26, but four years age difference is a long time in F1.

Two time world champion at 26 who can drive in the wet is prime. It doesn't get any better then that. This guy beat MS when no one else could. IF Ron Dennis has made the situation unbearable for Alonso, then he has failed as the team manager. Never has anyone else ever had a complaint about Alonso's attitude in his career until now. Ron Dennis's long term commitment to Hamilton is skewing his judgement in my opinion. He has managed this wrong and as a result has a problem. It would have been far better to give way to Alonso and keep him happy then to have this happen. He was after all the most sought after driver last year, and would it really have killed Hamiliton to play second fiddle in his rookie year????? Instead this equal treatment thing blew up in Ron's Face when Hamilton decided, "not this time".

BMW would be a gamble though- there's no shortage of teams that have looked in contention (eg Honda) that have then failed miserably to capitalise.

Renault would seem a much better bet- after all at least he knows he is guaranteed No. 1 status.

My nose was out of Joint when BMW got rid of JV, but they have made very few wrong moves. They are for real. Renault's commitment to F1 is shaky at best. I wouldn't go near them, they had their run in the sun. BMW is the future team.

My nose was out of Joint when BMW got rid of JV, but they have made very few wrong moves. They are for real. Renault's commitment to F1 is shaky at best. I wouldn't go near them, they had their run in the sun. BMW is the future team.

According to the Spanish press, close members of Alonso

Two time world champion at 26 who can drive in the wet is prime. It doesn't get any better then that.

That's true, Alonso is (aside from Kimi, although that's just my opinion) the best catch on the grid.

This guy beat MS when no one else could. IF Ron Dennis has made the situation unbearable for Alonso, then he has failed as the team manager.

Yep, and even Ron has admitted that he has failed to manage the situation correctly.

Never has anyone else ever had a complaint about Alonso's attitude in his career until now.

True, but then Alonso has never had a teammate who can drive anywhere near his equal, aside from his first year in which he was happy to accede to a number 2 status. He's also been driving the best car on the grid for most of his two-year reign at the top. Now he's being tested, and his attitude is in question. It's easy to be a nice guy when you're winning.

Ron Dennis's long term commitment to Hamilton is skewing his judgement in my opinion. He has managed this wrong and as a result has a problem. It would have been far better to give way to Alonso and keep him happy then to have this happen. He was after all the most sought after driver last year, and would it really have killed Hamiliton to play second fiddle in his rookie year????? Instead this equal treatment thing blew up in Ron's Face when Hamilton decided, "not this time".

Yes, I agree. But what's the alternative? You can't just alter an entire team's way of thinking just because the drivers have a problem with it. Ron has some serious work to do, but if Fernando wants to leave Ron will have to let him. If the team produce a dominant car next year then it won't matter, so the focus has to be on the well-being and harmony in the team.

That's true, Alonso is (aside from Kimi, although that's just my opinion) the best catch on the grid.

Yep, and even Ron has admitted that he has failed to manage the situation correctly.

True, but then Alonso has never had a teammate who can drive anywhere near his equal, aside from his first year in which he was happy to accede to a number 2 status. He's also been driving the best car on the grid for most of his two-year reign at the top. Now he's being tested, and his attitude is in question. It's easy to be a nice guy when you're winning.

Yes, I agree. But what's the alternative? You can't just alter an entire team's way of thinking just because the drivers have a problem with it. Ron has some serious work to do, but if Fernando wants to leave Ron will have to let him. If the team produce a dominant car next year then it won't matter, so the focus has to be on the well-being and harmony in the team.

Yes it may be too late to salvage this.

Too bad for Hamilton. Alonso's set up skills will be missed, and then the poor kid will have to deal with all the broken ankled British reporters when they start jumping off the band wagon.

Yes it may be too late to salvage this.

Too bad for Hamilton. Alonso's set up skills will be missed, and then the poor kid will have to deal with all the broken ankled British reporters when they start jumping off the band wagon.

Didn't hurt him this weekend, did it........

In any case he'll learn that in time- he doesn't need Alonso to be a champion judging by his performance so far.

Didn't hurt him this weekend, did it........

In any case he'll learn that in time- he doesn't need Alonso to be a champion judging by his performance so far.

We don't really know yet. I suspect Alonso will be much more coy about his set up now going forward. Again Alonso is more then a post behind the wheel. Look were Renault are without him.

Most of you know my opinion on driver input into a winning car. 90% car 10% driver. However MS and FA are the only two drivers I have witnessed in the last 10 years that can actually make a car look better then it is.

Definately the press have an ability to bend a story for their own means. In this case it's coming from so many sources you have to say there isn't smoke without fire and Alonso definately is not happy. Yes it could partly be due to bad managment from Dennis but I think it's definately also to do with the fact that Alonso expected to come in as number 1 and dominate his rookie team-mate. With them being given equal preference and being allowed to race head to head and Hamilton so far coming out on top it's gotten to Fernando. I definately feel McLaren deserve praise for letting the two go at it instead of raining one in from the start.

It would be sad if he left McLaren as I'm enjoying this rivalry and it's good for the publicity of the sport to be honest. However if only one is to be kept I would be keeping Hamilton every time if I were Dennis.

Yes it could partly be due to bad managment from Dennis but I think it's definately also to do with the fact that Alonso expected to come in as number 1 and dominate his rookie team-mate.

That's again a myth.

If FA had wanted to be special in McLaren he would have told them to do it by contract. He didn't, he just want a normal team and normal treatment.

AAAHHHHH Alonso the evil is... BUUUUUUUUUU

Never has anyone else ever had a complaint about Alonso's attitude in his career until now.

Is this still the same Alonso who accused Renault of trying to sabotage his chances to go to Mclaren as number 1? I think that Alonso has this hot headed streak about him and Mclaren don't tend to tolerate this no matter who the driver is.

If Alonso goes undoubtedly Mclaren will be harmed, however I can't see Fernando wanting to go to a team that does not have a good car, and even if he went to BMW Kubica would give him a run for his money in the same car. The only safe bet for him is Renault with Kovalinen there who will be a second place driver to him. However Alonso should look at the History books on this one, if he runs away with his tail between his legs from Mclaren people will write he is not good enough to compete with Lewis.

I think any move from Mclaren for Alonso is a bad move, no matter what crap keeps coming out. I dare say Flavio is so embroiled in this spy row because he knows he can net Alonso from Mclaren if they are found guilty and punished.

Yes, I see it here too.

I was totally shocked to hear that even in the news and I couldnt belive it. My advice to fellow Indians. Please don't watch too much of "TIMES NOW".