Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric

Grand-am (daytona Prototypes)

I was going to make this a blog entry, but I decided to just make it a thread. I watched the Watkins Glen GrandAm race during commericals of pre-season football (yes, I was actually watching meaningless pre-season football), and I was impressed. The cars were actually close, and boy were they flying around that track, 8 mph faster than those NASCAR turds. Gurney and Fogarty are just amazing. I was very impressed. That's all. I don't care if this gets no replies, but I just had to get it off my chest. I love Grand American Road Racing, regardless of the France family being involved.

I was going to make this a blog entry, but I decided to just make it a thread. I watched the Watkins Glen GrandAm race during commericals of pre-season football (yes, I was actually watching meaningless pre-season football), and I was impressed. The cars were actually close, and boy were they flying around that track, 8 mph faster than those NASCAR turds. Gurney and Fogarty are just amazing. I was very impressed. That's all. I don't care if this gets no replies, but I just had to get it off my chest. I love Grand American Road Racing, regardless of the France family being involved.

WooHoo!! I'm a big fan of Gurney, Fogarty and GrandAm. Good to have another fan! :thbup:

WooHoo!! I'm a big fan of Gurney, Fogarty and GrandAm. Good to have another fan! :thbup:

Yeah! I really enjoy watching the 24 Hours, but never found the time to watch any other races, but I'm glad I did. The 24 Hours is still one of my favorite races of the year, but I guess it's really hard to not like a race that has Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, and Leigh Diffey doing commentary.

I was really surprised to see the cars going so fast around the track, though. They always looked sluggish to me when they were on the oval section of Daytona.

Yes I've seen the Daytrona Prototypes run at Long Beach, Fontucky(road course) and at the Glen in person and I love those cars.

I videoed one race, because it is not really very popular in the UK, but i also was impressed by the cars, they may look really ugly (some people say) but my word, they can't half shift!

We should go to the 24 Hours of Daytona, Eric... :D

Sure, might be worth it.

I videoed one race, because it is not really very popular in the UK, but i also was impressed by the cars, they may look really ugly (some people say) but my word, they can't half shift!

Yeah they are ugly, but hey, they look sexy next to a NASCAR Car of Tomorrow! And if the racing is good, I really don't mind. Personally, I find F1 cars to be ugly with all their aero winglets sticking out, I like simpler single-seaters the Champ Car Panoz DP01.

I've only watched one race, the 2007 24 Hours of Daytona, and it was really exciting. I loved it! I think it is so cool that they race for 24 hours, there's so many stories and so much drama around it and I think it makes for a great product. It is so hard to believe that even after all that time the teams can still be so close at the end. Superb stuff!

While channel surfing yesterday didn't see the Grand-am race but did see the Nascar race. I was very impressed with the coverage and all the special features including air-flow, caption-timing and split-screens. Would be good if F1 could include these features into there coverage.

While channel surfing yesterday didn't see the Grand-am race but did see the Nascar race. I was very impressed with the coverage and all the special features including air-flow, caption-timing and split-screens. Would be good if F1 could include these features into there coverage.

Other than the awful commentators, NASCAR really does have great coverage. I could live without the air flow, though, I'm not sure it really tells you anything other than that there's air coming off the racecars and when they get in line, the air gets jumbled together.

Other than the awful commentators, NASCAR really does have great coverage. I could live without the air flow, though, I'm not sure it really tells you anything other than that there's air coming off the racecars and when they get in line, the air gets jumbled together.

Just thought the air-flow feature was cool and innovative. Would be interesting to compare air-flows on F1 cars.

Just thought the air-flow feature was cool and innovative. Would be interesting to compare air-flows on F1 cars.

Yeah with F1 I think it could be very cool because the cars are so different. The NASCAR racecars are a bit too similar for it to be all that useful.

Most of the skill required in NASCAR is judging the unique airflow coming off the cars. Dale Earnhardt was a master at judging this, just by instinct and car-feel. He knew just where to place his car to disrupt the airflow coming off the leading car to make that leading car lose rear downforce...and spin off. He also knew that the slipstream existed on the side of a car as well as directly behind. With this knowledge the air-flow 'view' can now let us see what the drivers 'feel'. I like it.

If it didn't remind me of the "comet puck" FOX used in NHL, I might be able to handle it better.

If it didn't remind me of the "comet puck" FOX used in NHL, I might be able to handle it better.

Bwahahahaha! I remember that damn thing.

I haven't watched any NASCAB recently; what is this airflow thingie you refer to?

Bwahahahaha! I remember that damn thing.

I haven't watched any NASCAB recently; what is this airflow thingie you refer to?

ESPN Draft Trax. They basically use colored stuff to show the air moving over the racecars to show how it is affecting the race car and the surrounding cars. The cars look like they have blue and orange flames coming out the back.

Here is a picutre of it:

draft_track.jpg

ESPN Draft Trax. They basically use colored stuff to show the air moving over the racecars to show how it is affecting the race car and the surrounding cars. The cars look like they have blue and orange flames coming out the back.

Here is a picutre of it:

draft_track.jpg

Best not watch that after dropping a few hits of acid ...

:naughty: