Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Erinnn

A Question About American Sports

Japan and Cuba are the only sides I can say I've heard being called anything decent.

Do you mean for their own leagues or for players in the MLB (American series)?

:lol: A-Rod is Alex Rodriguiez plays 3rd base for the Yankee's

My bad,Bruce. Andy Rodd#ck is also called A-Rod. But I should have applied common sense that tennis is not that big in USA,when compared to baseball,basketball,football.

A question for Americans :

So many sporting personalities stay in America ,yet turn out for their country's colors. Doesn't it irritate you that they milk America ,but show that they are patriotic to their country? Think Annika Sorenstam for example.

I may be on slippery ground since many F1 drivers do a similar thing.

A question for Americans :

So many sporting personalities stay in America ,yet turn out for their country's colors. Doesn't it irritate you that they milk America ,but show that they are patriotic to their country? Think Annika Sorenstam for example.

I may be on slippery ground since many F1 drivers do a similar thing.

No big deal really, they are playing here mostly because that's where the money is but for the most part people cheer them on in the name of competion.

In the US, we're pretty different with our sports, American football and baseball to name two of the most popular. What I wanted to know is what kind of following do these sports have in other countries? Do you even get TV coverage of any kind internationally? Do you watch the games? Do people you know watch the games? If the popularity is low, which I'd expect, why don't you individually enjoy these sports? It's kind of a dumb question, but I just want to know why our sports don't catch on elsewhere, and I guess the same for why F1 and soccer aren't popular in the US.

I watch US sports to send myself to sleep. (no joke) Channel 5 plays baseball at 1:30 am or something :-D

anyways, I just can't watch usfootballl without p**sing myself laughing at the amount of armour those chicken Sh#ts wear :blink: .

Baseball Is quite boring but i would like to know the rules properly. I Do hate that every outfield player wear "mits" ? , can't they catch a ball with their hands ??

Basketball Is ok , if you like that sorta game. Too stop start for me. Nothing intersting too it.

I agree with the person who says, Americans love adverts too much. It's reallyyy annoying.

I watch US sports to send myself to sleep. (no joke) Channel 5 plays baseball at 1:30 am or something :-D

anyways, I just can't watch usfootballl without p**sing myself laughing at the amount of armour those chicken Sh#ts wear :blink: .

Baseball Is quite boring but i would like to know the rules properly. I Do hate that every outfield player wear "mits" ? , can't they catch a ball with their hands ??

Basketball Is ok , if you like that sorta game. Too stop start for me. Nothing intersting too it.

I agree with the person who says, Americans love adverts too much. It's reallyyy annoying.

1: If a 6'7", 320-lb tank was coming at me (I played a lot of years, I was small but fast), I'd want a hell of a lot of padding on.

2: No. The baseballs are coming a lot faster and harder than it looks, and the balls are really hard. I've caught a baseball bear-handed in an amateur-ish game (high school), and I ended up with a broken hand.

3: NBA these days bothers me. NBA WAS good. Now it's all thugs who just dunk and do nothing else. Only good basketball is college basketball.

Americans love their own sports, played by their own people. American sports were conceived by the americans, with the americans, for the americans. The rest of us are, at best, kindly invited to watch them from afar. Maybe sometimes a few foreign players are invited and that increases that country's interest on a sport for a while, but that's it.

You've absolutely nailed it Quiet One. Here in Australia we do get some NFL (which I love watching by the way), MLB, Indy Car, NASCAR and NBA as well as a tiny bit of the NHL (another one of my favourites) but if there is one thing that puts me off a bit it is the way that the winner of the finals is called the World Series Champion!! How can this be if they never play teams from other countries?? We play Rugby League here (as well as AFL and Rugby Union of course) and at the end of the season, the premiers from Australia play the premiers from the UK in a World Club Challenge which is kinda like a Superbowl for Rugby League except involving clubs from 2 different countries. It's still not a real World championship but it's on the right track. I have also asked a few of my mates this same question that you raise Erinnn and they all say the same thing - they can't stand NFL because of the way it is so stop/start (while the defensive/offensive and Special teams change over and between each down) and because of the way the NFL players go on like show ponies when they make 3 yards. I have personally not allowed that to worry me too much but I do agree with it to a certain extent. If a player went on like that here in Rugby League they would probably be belted or dropped to the reserves for being such a w#nker. I think it just comes down to the culture and environment you grow up in as with just about everything else.

However - as I said - I really do enjoy watching the NFL and NHL.

Agree, the "World Series" is a dumb name. Our baseball league gets the most attention worldwide and does have a lot of foreign players, but it still is not a real World Series.

I saw on the news today a small segment on American Football and that must be a first as i dont recall seeing any American Football on our news programmes before. Though the report was about a Australian (Sav Rocca) who is now playing for the Philadelphia (yes i checked the spelling) Eagles as their punter. I have been folling Rocca's progress in the league as he was very famous in Australia as he was a great AFL player. I know it may sound nationalistic of me but i only ever follow American sports when there is a Australian in it and even then it is extremely limited.

.....and for those who think we love comercials :mf_tongue::mf_tongue::mf_tongue::mf_tongue: that's what TIVO is for so you can zip thru them...........

With no TiVo, commercials are the reason I drink too much during football games...everytime there's a commercial I am forced to get some more beer for me and my friends.

2: No. The baseballs are coming a lot faster and harder than it looks, and the balls are really hard. I've caught a baseball bear-handed in an amateur-ish game (high school), and I ended up with a broken hand.

Yeah, I played softball in high school and middle school and I would not have wanted to catch without a glove.

I can't comment much about american sports. Although basically I will say that it's mostly because of coverage, I think channel Five show some baseball/Nascar at about 1AM - but tbh if your looking at channel five at that time then you ain't looking for sports if u know what i mean.

why don't c5 show american sports earlier? because there is a lack of interest, why is there a lack of interest? - because c5 don't show sports earlier. of course there are other factors as well but this is a big one.

I find it strange that people think F1 doesn't have the best drivers, if not F1 then what DTM, Champcar (surely not), Nascar? Of course i'm not including WRC because that's a different set of skills.

But seriously I do think any F1 grid, especially with today's drivers, have more talent than any other grid in the world. I don't think someone could come from Nascar and do brilliantly in F1, but we've already JPM do well in America.

Even the worst drivers in F1 are pretty good, like Ralf, Yamamoto, Wurz or Sato. I think they could go to champcar and wouldn't be embarrassed.

OK so Ralf's slow but he wasn't always, Wurz can develope a car well, and Sato and Yamamoto are great for testing barriers.

my point is F1 rules!

I can't comment much about american sports. Although basically I will say that it's mostly because of coverage, I think channel Five show some baseball/Nascar at about 1AM - but tbh if your looking at channel five at that time then you ain't looking for sports if u know what i mean.

why don't c5 show american sports earlier? because there is a lack of interest, why is there a lack of interest? - because c5 don't show sports earlier. of course there are other factors as well but this is a big one.

I find it strange that people think F1 doesn't have the best drivers, if not F1 then what DTM, Champcar (surely not), Nascar? Of course i'm not including WRC because that's a different set of skills.

But seriously I do think any F1 grid, especially with today's drivers, have more talent than any other grid in the world. I don't think someone could come from Nascar and do brilliantly in F1, but we've already JPM do well in America.

Even the worst drivers in F1 are pretty good, like Ralf, Yamamoto, Wurz or Sato. I think they could go to champcar and wouldn't be embarrassed.

OK so Ralf's slow but he wasn't always, Wurz can develope a car well, and Sato and Yamamoto are great for testing barriers.

my point is F1 rules!

Champcar has some pretty good drivers, who would probably do quite well in an F1 car without Traction control. They may not have as many good drivers as they had in the early 90's., but the talent pool is there. JPM isn't eactly putting Nascar drivers to shame is he. He was a highly rated F1 pilot, but he is just another driver in Nascar, which is a highly spec'd series. This means a lot of the performance on the track comes down to driver input.

I agree the worse drivers in F1 are generally still pretty good drivers, but they certainly are not above the best drivers in other series.

Unfortunately, money talks. You can buy a ride in any series, and a lot of guys are sitting in the cars because they have their own sponsors who bring money to the team. Sometimes it is not about talent, and that is a shame.

Yeah i agree champcar does have good drivers like seabass, will power, Rahal etc...

it'll be v.interesting to see how bourdais does against Vettel and others in F1, will influence my opinion about CC a lot.