Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbolc2

Noob Senna Question......

Some drivers have something that is exceptionally difficult to explain, you need to watch and look at the detail - not just lap times, but HOW he drove.

Sorry to get all gooey, but Wez's post is spot on - a very rare number of drivers have had the ability of detaching themselves from what most perceive is normal/acceptable/do-able. Maybe it's unique combinations of passion, inate skill, determination, pride, controlled agression, fire in the belly type thing - I can't find the words. I really believe that when driving, they are in a whole different world.

Their hunger is greater maybe? When you saw him (and those of similar ilk), he had a hungry look, like the kind you get from not eating for a while. Anyway. See what I mean?

Maybe they aren't the fastest/best of their era (these 'special' ones), maybe we could say Prost was as good but in a different way? - It's just the way, the manner, the singlemindedness those like Senna have had, have captured peoples imagination.

Reminded me of Jim Clark, so he did.

We will always have opinions and compare - there were times when Mansell, Prost and others ran him bloody close, but for me it comes down to the relentless manner he had, the fact that being beaten was incomprendable, the measures he'd take and the risk to himself (and sometimes others, winning no friends!).

One thing's for sure, love them or hate them, like the Gilles's, Senna's, Clarks', the true motorpsort fans knew they were watching something really, really special.

Gentleman Ayrton. Nahhhhhhhh.

I really like this board. Intellegent and not insulting to new people like myself. I'm glad I asked this question because I am learning a lot. Thanks guys....

Gentleman Ayrton. Nahhhhhhhh.

True!

And come to think about it, this 'special something' is shown in so many different ways - the calm, super smooth, calculating Clark and the (almost opposite) approach of Ayrton. Reading (and some tv interviews) about him, his private life seemed so calm though, for instance - his passion of flying radio controled aircraft seems so far from the intense guy we saw.

The only thing I've hated about this sport of ours, is that 'cos they paid the ultimate price, we can't enjoy their own reflections and opinions about the past and their view of today's drivers. I think some interesting stuff would have come out.

Maybe a new thread, "Guess what the famous from the past would say about today's lot". Hmmmm.

:lol:

Here's another noobish question...how is "Ayrton" pronounced? I've heard "Air-ton," "Aye-air-ton," and "Aye-er-ton."

Some pronounce it as Aye-air-ton but Air-ton is the right pronounciation, I get these issues myself when ppl think my name is pronounced Neil <_< It's N-aye-al goddammit! :lol:

Some pronounce it as Aye-air-ton but Air-ton is the right pronounciation, I get these issues myself when ppl think my name is pronounced Neil <_< It's N-aye-al goddammit! :lol:

Take a pill NEIL..... :D

This may have been asked before but, I'm new to F1 and I wish it hadn't taken so long. I've been reading on past drivers and have been trying to understand the big deal about Aryton Senna. It seems as if there were other drivers before and after him that were better. He also seemed to complain a lot when the outcome didn't go his way *Alonso*.

Sorry if I step on any Senna fans toes because I know there are many. If someone could point me to some good reading on the man or give me a brief synopsis here would be cool. Thanks.... :clap3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZI4h1eOd50

nuff said

Hi i'm new.

I never actually saw Senna race but have read a few books about him (one of which was The Life of Senna) and watched all the videos i can find on the internet and it is clear that he was one of the all time greats. not only because of his wet weather supremacy or due to his abilities in inferior cars, but also because of his character. while he was alive he was the biggest sportsman on the planet because of sheer dedication to his cause (winning), remarkable natural talent, charisma and the controversy he generated.

even if you don't regard him as the greatest talent to sit in a formula one car, it is clear that he was the most determined driver in the history of the sport, who was so confident in his own brilliance that he believed it justified his sometimes controversial actions on the track. the emotions senna evoked in people were amazing and because of this i consider him the greatest ever, it is amazing that his fanbase still grows even today.

however it all depends on how you would define greatness. statisically schumacher is the greatest driver ever, that is all that you can be sure of.