Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rumblestrip

What Would F1 Cars Be Like If...

I often find myself wondering what F1 cars would be like, and how fast they'd be, if there were no limitations. Well, maybe not no limitations, because then you might end up with low-flying aircraft, or remote-control cars or something.

But say back in the early 80's, when the turbo cars were popular, rather than banning them or trying to make the cars slower, they only changed rules concerning the construction of the car to protect the driver. So ground effects, turbos, everything else, was still legal.

How fast would modern F1 cars be using rules that were in place in 1980, and adding the past 27 years of technical development?

I would imagine they'd be near twice as fast as now, given wide slicks. Although im fairly certain that would mean a driver getting killed once every race or two - which in all honesty, im not too fussed about seeing. Spectacular 300 mph crashes? sure! Tyre blow outs at 200 mph, cool! But death, nah!

I quite like the speed of the cars now, you can see them doing things on track, although I would imagine with good slicks and some of the negative diffuser energy, we might see fast good racing, with overtaking.

hmm, seems my mind wandered there in to a realm whereby the FIA didn't exist, damn my mind...

Cars could be so fast that no human being could have any chance of controlling them. I don't know what the regs say about how much of an input the human has to have? Basically we are totally superfluous. In fact I wonder why the people who like the team or engineering aspects of F1 don't want to see an alternative "sport" where teams design cars which drive themselves. These could easily have jet engines and travel over 500mph at Indy. Now that is cutting edge technology. I wonder if they could break the sound barrier before turn 1 every lap?

Cars could be so fast that no human being could have any chance of controlling them. I don't know what the regs say about how much of an input the human has to have? Basically we are totally superfluous. In fact I wonder why the people who like the team or engineering aspects of F1 don't want to see an alternative "sport" where teams design cars which drive themselves. These could easily have jet engines and travel over 500mph at Indy. Now that is cutting edge technology. I wonder if they could break the sound barrier before turn 1 every lap?

I think you are right Murray, but if cars are capable of reaching (say) 500Mph, then there is a lot of thing that needs to be changed, they might need to build a track that is as big as China and we will need NASA's to help us with ariel coverage, and Mclaren will need to build 10 more technology centers, BMW Sauber will need 20 more super computers, Ferrari will need to convince every Italian to leave the country because Fiorano will be too small for them to test their f1 cars. Arabs would be cultivating coconut oils since all the oil under their belly has been pumped out for the cars that were made capable of breaking the sound barriers in a single lap. Nokia and Sony will be selling more earing aid since all the fans who attended and and heard and felt the orgasm hearing the sonic boom would have gone deaf.

So, it is good to slow these cars down, but in an effective manner. And we need more consistent rules and they should be changed only once in 4-5 years.

But that's my exactly my dream. Supersonic F1 cars.

The insane cornering speeds and extremely high g forces would cause the drivers to pass out I would think. They would have to wear those fighter pilot pressure suits just to make sure the blood doesn't drain from the head. And the driver would have to hope that an aerodynamic device

The insane cornering speeds and extremely high g forces would cause the drivers to pass out I would think. They would have to wear those fighter pilot pressure suits just to make sure the blood doesn't drain from the head. And the driver would have to hope that an aerodynamic device doesn't break off or that a tyre blows out as he rounds a super fast sweep at 500kmh. They'd have to invent some new form of crash barrier and incorporate a parachute and other forms of air braking and reverse thrusters on the car to slow it down before it disintegrates itself off a tire barrier. Perhaps aircraft carrier style arrestor cables on the edges of the corners and arrestor hooks on the cars would be a good idea too. I'm all for a no limits formula !

Yes! You are right! :clap3:

Now! Dont you want some drifting action drifting guy? :D

i would not want cars to go much faster than this, there's really no point to that. i want to see cars that are less prone to damage when they touch each other, i want to see more passing and fighting. i'd love to see the likes of 1978 Brabham-Alfa Romeo BT46B

Erm you could have a computer driving the car giving the team a flawless race every time :mf_tongue:

or you could just take niki lauda's genes and combine them with kimi raikkonen's, creating a supercomputer monotone rat-faced robot driver who likes the occasional drink!

just a thought.

The insane cornering speeds and extremely high g forces would cause the drivers to pass out I would think. They would have to wear those fighter pilot pressure suits just to make sure the blood doesn't drain from the head. And the driver would have to hope that an aerodynamic device

Erm you could have a computer driving the car giving the team a flawless race every time :mf_tongue:

Then it would turn into a programming/hacking contest.