Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Briatore Wants Alonso

Flavio Briatore openly admitted on Tuesday that he would be delighted to woo Fernando Alonso back to Renault in 2008.

The French team's boss, who brought the Spaniard into Formula One in 2001 and still maintains a financial interest in his career, told the Spanish sports newspaper Marca that reigning World Champion Alonso was a "far better" driver at Renault.

"You can see that if you are Spanish, I know that -- even the Turks know it," Briatore, an arch-nemesis of Alonso's current McLaren boss Ron Dennis, said.

"It is obvious that I would love to have Fernando back."

Also obvious, Briatore said, is Alonso's unhappiness in 2007, and - asked if he could see him staying at McLaren next year - answered: "I have no idea. I love Fernando, but he already has a contract (for 2008).

"

Briatore's interview on Tuesday coincides with speculation that Alonso's manager Luis Garcia-Abad might have found a way out of the 2008 McLaren deal.

"If he is free, for whatever reason, and I don't know his contract, but if he is free tomorrow I think Renault, Toyota, Williams, everybody (would be interested)," Briatore concluded.

Source F1live.com

During the Turkish GP TF1 french speakers said that Alonso was more furious against Ron Dennis than ever.... They also said that Renault are desperate to have Alonso back, they said Alonso would have a hefty paycheck and a substantial increase of Renault F1 budget as an incentive. I want to make it clear that they didn't say that Alonso was going to Renault next year, they just confirmed Renault are ready to do anything possible to attract Alonso back. J.Laffite and fellow speakers have usually very reliable sources as an example they announced S Bourdais deal several days before the official one was confirmed. So it'll be intersting to watch the development.

I can believe that there is a lot of truth behind these rumours.

However, I think part of the problem is in trying to work out exactly what it is Fernando wants to achieve in the rest of his career.

If he wants more titles then Renault doesn

Spot on!

The impression I get is that he has lost it mentally and it may be affecting his speed. He may need time out to get his hunger for F1 back as a move to BMW/Renault will only demoralise him if he is then off the pace compared to Kimi/Lewis et al.

A break could do him the world of good

He has declined taking a break...

I read it on F1 -live yesterday....

not likely in 2008.

He will probably look at who is quicker in 2008, with the potential of wining the championship, then he will go to that team. Simple decision.

What team manager wouldn't want Alonso to drive for them if he was available, which is basically what FB said.

There is no way in the world a racing driver at the peak of his career should take a break.. That would be career suicide. You are forgotten soon enough in this game. To take a break at 26 is absolutely impossible to image. Huge salary, great car, love to drive, who the hell in there right mind would take a break from that!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can believe that there is a lot of truth behind these rumours.

However, I think part of the problem is in trying to work out exactly what it is Fernando wants to achieve in the rest of his career.

If he wants more titles then Renault doesn

Well said :D

Adding to that I don't believe Renault are going to be that far off the pace in 2008. The aero problems will be sorted for the R28 with the development on this years R27 all but stopped. Pat Symonds, Bob Bell and their team are far too experienced to have a bad car two years in a row.

Flavio will hold out on confirming his 2008 driver line up with the possibility of getting Fernando back. The loser I fear will be Fisi, he will be left without Renault neither wanting to sign him or let him go until a decision is reached with McLaren and Fernando. I Fisi decides to leave and Renault cannot secure Fernando Renault have a perfect back up in the form of the little sh!t NP Jnr.

Interesting times to say the least.

So is it curtons for Fisi's career then? one would have to say so considering he is behind his team Mate in the points table.

i think that with Fisi's poor showings lately that Piquet will get a run before the end of the season?

one would have to think so.

What team manager wouldn't want Alonso to drive for them if he was available, which is basically what FB said.

There is no way in the world a racing driver at the peak of his career should take a break.. That would be career suicide. You are forgotten soon enough in this game. To take a break at 26 is absolutely impossible to image. Huge salary, great car, love to drive, who the hell in there right mind would take a break from that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I'm not Alonso's greatest fan by any means, but I would consider it a serious loss to the sport if he took a break.

But he won't. I'm confident Ron has the ability to keep him at McLaren.

Of course Flabbio wants Alonso back at Renault! He's always been on Alonso's side even when he left for McLaren which is why I created that poll as BMW Sauber are in the mix too!

"I don't know his contract..." HA HA for some reason i dont believe it...

About Fernando taking a break. I don't think he ever considered it. That's just media talk.

I really wanted Fernando back at Renault. I think would be the best choice, but he wouldn't do it if he wasn't sure they could give him a reliable and likely to win car. Not what they had this year definately.

It all comes down on what will Nando look for in his next team.

He could just go for the money (the less likely scenario in my opinion) and go to Toyota or Prodrive or who knows what.

He could go for the quick championship, and try to settle in an already winning team or the ones with the best prospects at the moment: Ferrari, Renault, BMW, etc.

For me, the wisest option would be to go for the team where he will fell more comfortable. He already is a more than proven champion but he sucks at PR. I would definitely go for Renault. He knows them. They know him and his attitude. It's one of the few teams capable of improving fast nad being back at the top soon, the others being BMW, RBR and, perhaps, Williams.

BMW may look tempting, but I can't see Dr.Mario and Nando getting along well. It will be even worse than with Dennis. Ditto for Sir Frank. Red Bull will not seem too interesting as long as they remain tied to Ferrari.

As for him staying at McLaren, with all the pressure from the Spanish and Birtish media to get him out of there, plus his big mouth, I think is going to be tough. Interestingly enough, Mercedes (Through Norbert Haug) seem to be the most interested in keeping Alonso around. I'd say his relationship with Mercedes is far better than with McLaren.

Flavio Briatore wants (needs?) a shower...

Alonso is driven by a competitive streak, not money, so he will only move to an already competitive team - or a rising one.

I can see him staying at Mclaren until the end of 2008, with or without championship, no longer.

So is it curtons for Fisi's career then? one would have to say so considering he is behind his team Mate in the points table.

i think that with Fisi's poor showings lately that Piquet will get a run before the end of the season?

one would have to think so.

I would prefer that Renault kept Fisi than sign NP Jnr to a race drive. I doubt that Renault will sack Fisi prior to the end of the season, even though they have done it before with Jarno it's a different situation with Fisi.

They aren't tied to Ferrari anymore. It's Renault now.

Andres may have been refering to STR.

Actually, I was thinking about RBR with Renault and STR with Ferrari...and somehow condensed it all in just "RBR with Ferrari", happens when you are typing at work and get interrupted 10 times while writing a post...sorry! :blush:

Actually, I was thinking about RBR with Renault and STR with Ferrari...and somehow condensed it all in just "RBR with Ferrari", happens when you are typing at work and get interrupted 10 times while writing a post...sorry! :blush:

I knew what you meant mate :D

Why does Flav the Fat F*ck want Alonso? Isn't he satisfied with the topless model?
Because he's always backed Alonso up ever since he moved from Minardi & won the Hungarian GP in 2003! No mtter what, Flabbio is always there for Alonso! God I hope I don't turn this into a love story!