Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

Has Alonso Been A Good Signing For Macca

Alonso good or bad signing for Macca  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts please

• No way, the guy is a Jinx
    • 6/10ths per lap says he has been a God send

As has widely been reported, an email between Pedro & Nando is the additional evidence that could be used to against the Mclaren team in spygate. This is another sorry chapter in the nando Mclaren saga.

I vote No way! the guy has brought nothing but trouble to Mclaren

As has widely been reported, an email between Pedro & Nando is the additional evidence that could be used to against the Mclaren team in spygate. This is another sorry chapter in the nando Mclaren saga.

The point is has Macca been good for Alonso? :naughty:

The point is has Macca been good for Alonso? :naughty:

I agree!

Alonso has been a god sent to those scum bags running Mclaren!

The fact that good ol Lewy Hammi uses Alonso's setup every race shows just how much the world champion brings to the team!

I agree!

Alonso has been a god sent to those scum bags running Mclaren!

The fact that good ol Lewy Hammi uses Alonso's setup every race shows just how much the world champion brings to the team!

Oh that's easy, Wez - 6/10s. Or 3/5s if you have had any sort of education. :lol:

Don't really have a clear answer. Thinking right now I would say no. The detriment of this team publicly has much been raised due the actions of internal employees. It will be and is the actions of these external issues that will downplay how successful this year has been, not its drivers.

On the track and where he should be judged, Alonso has done well as usual and that is evident in the position McLaren see themselves through the constructors and driver championship. From the point of signing to now, there has been a mix of praise and negativity toward various actions. Big deal, nothing like a bit of competition.

Another perspective or in contrast to this question. Is/was Lewis Hamilton the right sign?

...who in turn uses Ferrari setups :naughty:

having said that, McLaren are the problem, not Alonso. He is a brilliant driver no doubt. Any team would benefit from his arrival. McLaren have different ideas though.

Oh that's easy, Wez - 6/10s. Or 3/5s if you have had any sort of education. :lol:

Ehh... exactly how could Alonso bring 0.6seconds/lap of improvement to the car? Does he have a degree in motor engineering or what? The Mclaren of 2005 was a huge improvement from the previous year's car. Coincidently, Montoya joined the team that year. Could you vaguely attribute the change to him? Has Mclaren never built a championship winning car before? Reliability was already largely improved over '05 last year. Unless he brought a plunder of Renault engineers to mclaren, which he didn't, where do you get off making this statement? And you're not the first to suggest this. As far as I've seen, there's very little a driver can do to improve a car. He can tell an engineer what he needs and is feeling but at the end of the day, he is only a driver. He cannot be better than the engineers at engineering. And come on; its Mclaren for crying out loud- they had won 148 races(maybe a little less) and 19 championsips without him!

Ehh... exactly how could Alonso bring 0.6seconds/lap of improvement to the car? Does he have a degree in motor engineering or what? The Mclaren of 2005 was a huge improvement from the previous year's car. Coincidently, Montoya joined the team that year. Could you vaguely attribute the change to him? Has Mclaren never built a championship winning car before? Reliability was already largely improved over '05 last year. Unless he brought a plunder of Renault engineers to mclaren, which he didn't, where do you get off making this statement? And you're not the first to suggest this. As far as I've seen, there's very little a driver can do to improve a car. He can tell an engineer what he needs and is feeling but at the end of the day, he is only a driver. He cannot be better than the engineers at engineering. And come on; its Mclaren for crying out loud- they had won 148 races(maybe a little less) and 19 championsips without him!

Welcome Balletman... who are your favourite team/driver?

pabloh20 is only kidding, thus the smiley after his comment....

Hey goferrarigo, thanx 4 the welcome! Was he really joking? 60% of the voters seem to believe the same as himself. And about Alonso's constructors championship contribution... well, he's not the one leading with points in the team is he(?). Anyway, Kimi and Ferrari are my favourites. Massa's great aswell. So, who's your pick?

Of course he's been a good signing for Mclaren. Strip away all the scandalous rubbish that is clogging up all the news at the moment and the facts are that he has done a great job, even if the points favour Lewis. This spy scandal jibberish is so typical of our thirst for litigious sensationalist bull sh!t.

Fernando may well win in Monza this weekend. People had better start facing the idea that come Brazil, Fernando is going to be a 3 times world champion. Then threads like this will be void.

Foxtrot, i love your sig' pic'. :clap3:

You are wrong, of course. I'm not quite sure that the e-mail(s) will prove anything. Think a moment. The 2007 McLaren is not designed from the 2007 Ferrari plans. They are not alike at all, from the aerodynamics down to the suspension geometry and ballast points. The only 'set-up' info that drivers can affect would be the weight distribution (placement of ballast), front and rear wing positions, ride height and suspension. None of these points can be helped with a knowledge of the 2007 Ferrari car design. Those designs don't include a list of Ferrari front wing, suspension, etc settings....and those are the only things that Alonso and de la Rosa would be talking about. Likely the email concerns Alonso's observations of the Ferrari and he was talking to Pedro about mirroring those. Sorry my dear ape, but you must try harder......

McLaren are now 1st in both championships after last year being 3rd and 96 pts adrift of Renault (and winless). Renault and McLaren have almost swapped places this year and the obvious link is that one team gained Alonso and the other lost him. I say 'yes', although 6-tenths is impossible to calculate.

Funny... so now Alonso is to blame for the spy saga? Could you please, Fed Up, tell us a single negative thing that FA has brought to McLaren... You may say and i could probably agree that he has cried and moaned more than he should but don't forget that he has cried just as much as your beloved Hammy and i still want to read you critisizing him (LH) for it. On the other hand and even when i don't buy the 6/10 thing i'm sure he has helped to do McLaren stronger just as he helped to turn Renault into a winning team.

I guess Fed Up is the only true Hamilton fan here! Besudesm both drivers have been acting childish & like I've said before, PS2 gets you crazy! I'd say Hamilton gots a GT5 Prologue on the sly by now & bought a PS3 & made Alonso jealous :rolleyes: !

How could Alonso, having debuted in a minardi the year before testing for Renault the next, in any way have created a winning team- of the same team, with 1year's experience? Damon Hill couldn't do that for Jordan after years in a super Williams. Mansell and Prost couldn't do that with ferrari, and so on. He's created a new spirit of desire, whateva you call it. But thats pretty much where it ends. Please, don't delude yourselves.

Hey goferrarigo, thanx 4 the welcome! Was he really joking? 60% of the voters seem to believe the same as himself. And about Alonso's constructors championship contribution... well, he's not the one leading with points in the team is he(?). Anyway, Kimi and Ferrari are my favourites. Massa's great aswell. So, who's your pick?

Yeah he was... He isn't a Alonso fanatic he was just being sacastic like quite a few of us are....

Kimi used to be favorite but currently out of the two it would be Massa

You are wrong, of course. I'm not quite sure that the e-mail(s) will prove anything. Think a moment. The 2007 McLaren is not designed from the 2007 Ferrari plans. They are not alike at all, from the aerodynamics down to the suspension geometry and ballast points. The only 'set-up' info that drivers can affect would be the weight distribution (placement of ballast), front and rear wing positions, ride height and suspension. None of these points can be helped with a knowledge of the 2007 Ferrari car design. Those designs don't include a list of Ferrari front wing, suspension, etc settings....and those are the only things that Alonso and de la Rosa would be talking about. Likely the email concerns Alonso's observations of the Ferrari and he was talking to Pedro about mirroring those. Sorry my dear ape, but you must try harder......

McLaren are now 1st in both championships after last year being 3rd and 96 pts adrift of Renault (and winless). Renault and McLaren have almost swapped places this year and the obvious link is that one team gained Alonso and the other lost him. I say 'yes', although 6-tenths is impossible to calculate.

Good point, well made regarding the validity of Ferrari data. It's a nonsense, of course.

Renault's misfortune this year are a lack of rubber continuity, as well as losing Fernando.

Good point, well made regarding the validity of Ferrari data. It's a nonsense, of course.

What part is 'nonsense'.....my opinions on the Ferrari data or the idea that Alonso and Pedro were actually emailing something illegal to each other?

Renault's misfortune this year are a lack of rubber continuity, as well as losing Fernando.

I've heard the rubber blabber. Something about the car needing Michelin rears because of the Renault design philosophy. I don't buy it and here's why: last season the car was designed around the TMD. Once that was removed, Renault had a bad time for two races until they came up with that beautiful front wing and better suspension. I find it hard to believe that those same guys at Renault are still stumped, 13 races into the season, by the Bridgestones. Renault's problem is a lack of direction from the drivers. Same problem McLaren had last season.

Too simplistic I'm afraid - If you know F1 you will know that it is impossible for a driver from a competiting team to make such a dramatic impact in such a short time. Even the great Schumi didn't have such an impact at Ferrari despite poaching key personnel.

For me, the biggest impact on this year's Mclaren has got to be the info gleaned in the spy scandal and how this information has been used on the car. It could also just be a case that Mclaren have upped their game, like BMW and have the strongest driver pairing on the grid. Their reliabilty is also amongst the best on the grid and must surely be a major contributing factor to their current success.

I think Nando is dangerous because he remains very close to Flavio. Flavio is very close to Bernie, who is very close to Max. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that all could be plotting so as to find a loop hole for nando to extract himself from his Macca contract. If you think this is a fantastic story, read the F1 press for similar mumblings.

Too simplistic I'm afraid - If you know F1 you will know that it is impossible for a driver from a competiting team to make such a dramatic impact in such a short time. Even the great Schumi didn't have such an impact at Ferrari despite poaching key personnel.

Hardly impossible, but believe what you wish. On Mikey's impact at Ferrari; I would suggest you aren't looking too hard for it. The year before Mikey, Ferrari won once (Alesi in Canada, I think). In '96, with Mikey, Ferrari won three times and the car was immediately quick in Mikey's hands.

Hey welcome BalletMan, Those points of yours I've also argued....nice...and good to see you're from RSA!

lovely stuff!

Forgot to address this:

For me, the biggest impact on this year's Mclaren has got to be the info gleaned in the spy scandal and how this information has been used on the car. It could also just be a case that Mclaren have upped their game, like BMW and have the strongest driver pairing on the grid. Their reliabilty is also amongst the best on the grid and must surely be a major contributing factor to their current success.

Perhaps you could tell a simple guy like me exactly what information you think could have been gained?