Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goferrarigo

F1 Group Agrees 'fuel Burn' Qualifying Tweak

F1's Sporting Working Group has agreed to rid the current qualifying format of the controversial phenomenon known as 'fuel burning' ahead of the 2008 season.

Because of the format's clash with the parallel parc ferme regulations, drivers currently approach the opening laps of the top-ten runout with the objective of simply burning fuel and earning 'credits' to add more fuel before the race.

Renault Technical Director Bob Bell remarked that the unrefined system is at the moment "a completely strange thing to do given we're all becoming eco-friendly".

The agreed solution for 2008 is twofold; the final Q3 session will be reduced from 15 minutes to a new (unknown) timeframe, and teams will no longer be able to replace burned fuel prior to Sunday's race.

The tweaks effectively mean that competitors will have to approach the battle for pole position with an initial load of fuel for the race, plus an additional amount for qualifying.

Should drivers make an error on a flying lap, therefore, they will have to weigh up the benefit of another qualifying attempt with possibly compromising the desired strategy for the first stint of the race.

The revised format will now be sent to the World Motor Sport Council for approval.

Source GMM

CAPSIS International

Source:- F1 Live

I like the idea... will make it quite interesting

I've said many a time, bring back 1 hour q. with all the special goodies and the "T" car.

I've said many a time, bring back 1 hour q. with all the special goodies and the "T" car.

I was of the same opinion for much of the last few seasons when qualifying was being changed every week, or so it seemed. But i have to say, i rather like the current format. Doing away with the pointless fuel burn can only enhance things, in my view.

I was of the same opinion for much of the last few seasons when qualifying was being changed every week, or so it seemed. But i have to say, i rather like the current format. Doing away with the pointless fuel burn can only enhance things, in my view.

Only if they turn Q3 into a 6 minute shoot out, enough for a couple of out laps and 1or2 flyers like it is now under the current system.

Only if they turn Q3 into a 6 minute shoot out, enough for a couple of out laps and 1or2 flyers like it is now under the current system.

I agree with you mostly. I like the current Q1 and Q2..it gets the slowest cars out of the way and prevents them from ruining the front-runner's laps (as DC was so often complaining of in his McLaren days).

For Q2, I'd like to see the teams log with the FIA their starting fuel and let the cars run on fumes for Q3. Give them unlimited tyres but they have to keep their race set-up. After Q3 the top 10 are then fueled back up and put into Parc Ferme.

By the sounds of it, this will be a 1 lap qualification for the front runners...I thought the idea of the current format was to get the cars on track for the fans. :blowup:

STR, RBR, Honda, etc :...would take the entire time to attempt to get on top. :yawn:

This will make drivers set the times on an equal fuel load which is good. But gambling on 1 lap instead of two is a bit tricky as teams other than ferrari and mclaren will try to get on top. We can see that all the top teams pitting at the same time window if this is the case

In regard to the matter discussed it only makes sense.

The qualifying system implemented this year however has proven worthy and I have very much enjoyed it both first hand and when watching it on television (when on). As a suggestion the limited time means less time that we get to see the cars. My suggestion would be to lengthen the 1st (30min?)and 2nd (20min?) sessions to cater for this loss or enhance it.

+ To pose another thought. I've always thought about and wonder what others would think in regard to issuing points in qualifying. Points toward both the constructors/driving or solely the constructors? I say solely the constructors as the strategic influence and team decisions are very influential toward the grid line up. Just a thought.

When did this forum started to look like promised land for all the close minded guys not smart enough to say anything different than their stupid nick already hints?

When did this forum started to look like promised land for all the close minded guys not smart enough to say anything different than their stupid nick already hints?

I have seen it after the depature of SuperKimi/ arrival of FUschumi.....then came crhistano84 and now this guy......

even though i like the proposed changes, it will take away the unknowns when it comes to strategy. if next year is going to be anything like this year, then every one will be focussed sole only getting pole and the variability of a daring pit strategy would be lost as its so hard to pass....things wont change dramatically, i think the F1 community is filled with a bunch of hypocrites. removing fuel burn for environmental reasons is like a skunk wear cologne think it would get rid of the foul smell!

Amazing how slow the F1 bureaucracy has moved to make such an obvious change. For all their bravado, Max and Bernie can't be arsed to force through such an obvious change for a whole bloody year.