Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

The Innovators...

Who has innovated the most in F1?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts...

• Ferrari
    • Mclaren
    • Williams
    • Renault
    • Brabham
    • Benetton
    • Lotus
    • Cooper
    • Vanwall
    • Mercedes-Benz
    • BRM
    • Tyrell
    • Other

So who'd you think has done the most innovating? (in F1)

I think I'll go with Lotus...

They introduced ground effects, wings & monocoque chassis & loads of other stuff!

Who's your choice and why?

Sorry if I missed anyone out...

Hard choice between Lotus, Renault and MB.

Lotus:

- there was a monocoque GP car ~40 before the Lotus 24. Gabriel Voisin used a monocoque chassis for his car that he raced in the 1923 French GP and in 1955 BRM incorporated a semi-monocoque chassis in their Grand Prix cars.

- ground effects, Auto Union beat them to it by ~40 years.

Non the less their merits remain.

MB:

- the silver arrows, with mecanical fuel injection, desdemonic valves, aero bodies, advanced materials

Renault:

- turbos, data-logging/telemetry, pit-car radio, pneumatic valve gear system, V10s with PVGS

My vote goes for Lotus. Second Cooper for sent the engine backwards in modern F1 (I know auto union made it before but..). And them Mercedes Benz: fuel injection, disc brakes,etc. Renault fourth: turbo engine, mass damper, etc.

My vote goes for Lotus. Second Cooper for sent the engine backwards in modern F1 (I know auto union made it before but..). And them Mercedes Benz: fuel injection, disc brakes,etc. Renault fourth: turbo engine, mass damper, etc.

I belive BRM introduced disk brakes to F1. Their cars had drum brakes so as to incorporate AWD or something like that.

Jaguar beat them to it in sport car racing. But some american first introduced them to Indy in the late 1930s.

Hmm...who has the most innovations? That's hard to know. I voted Lotus because of the impact of it's innovations; an impact that is still felt today.

Can I vote for more than one?

If not, then Lotus, Williams, Cooper, Tyrrell.

Can I vote for more than one?

If not, then Lotus, Williams, Cooper, Tyrrell.

:lol:

I voted Renault for their turbo innovations. But I'm pretty ignorant as far as the golden years of F1 are concerned.

I voted Ferrari just so Cristiano and FUSchumi go on one of their rampages again. First I found them Annoying but now its just funny all the crap they write

I voted Ferrari just so Cristiano and FUSchumi go on one of their rampages again. First I found them Annoying but now its just funny all the crap they write

I just copied what you did, for the same reasons :lol:

Hmm...who has the most innovations? That's hard to know. I voted Lotus because of the impact of it's innovations; an impact that is still felt today.

But that's also true for Renault (pneumatic valve gear system responsable for the super-reving; data logging/telemetry) too and MB (direct injection; mid engined GP layout ).

What's the most ingenious innovation ever in F1?

Applying article 151c of the International Sporting Code to McLaren this year to bring about a 100million gift to the FIA.

What's the most ingenious innovation ever in F1?

Boroughing from the aviation/aerospace&defence industry.

Like DOHC 4 valve per cylinder engines, direct injection, moncoque, advanced materials (alloys and composites), c#ckpit, packaging, aerodynamics, even bolts.

My vote goes for Ferrari. Been in F1 since for ever & have made fantastic cars & chassis' throughout the years! It was a tough choice between Ferrari & Williams!

What was Ferrari's great innovation or innovations to F1 ?!

The only one I know is the semiautomatic.

Great (Ferrari) chassis ?!

Ferrari often had a good/great engines put onto a crap to decent chassis. While the garagistes had crap to decent engines onto good/great chassis and aerodynamics.

A great chassis is british invention.

I voted Williams-> They found Rear diffuser , improved Computer-controlled active suspension , but overall in recent days I feel they really lack in engine power/reliability

but still I found Lotus has more innovations

"Top 10: greatest-ever F1 innovations" http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_articl...cumentid=580071

Major Formula 1 Technical Innovations

http://www.motorsportsetc.com/info/f1_innov.htm

Boroughing from the aviation/aerospace&defence industry.

Like DOHC 4 valve per cylinder engines, direct injection, moncoque, advanced materials (alloys and composites), c#ckpit, packaging, aerodynamics, even bolts.

Cheers! I might look up some of them. Do you know any good sites with the story of how these developments were introduced? It would be quite cool to read up on the story of aviation too I think.

I wouldn't call the H16 a great innovation myself. Honestly I always got the impression the thing was an overweight, underpowered, over complex monstrosity.

Ah, but they did blow up in a most spectular way. That's if they were lucky enough to get the thing to start, that is. I once saw Nick Mason's crew trying for almost 45 minutes to get the thing running at Coy's historic Festival. They gave up.