Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiano84

Who Would You Like To Replace Alonso?

Poll for McLaren fans  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who to replace Alonso, if needed?

• Nico Rosberg (contract buyout)
    • Adrian Sutil (contract buyout)
    • Alexander Wurz (free agent)
    • Ralf Schumacher (free agent)
    • Giancarlo Fisichella (free agent)
    • Pedro De La Rosa (free agent????)
    • Jenson Button (swap with Honda)
    • Heikki Kovalainen (swap with Renault)
    • Robert Kubica (swap with Sauber)

Accroding to latest rumours from the web and the press, those are the latest drivers rumoured in the Alonso-McLaren saga. Who would you like to replace him?

In my opinion the most unlikely would be PDLR (already Prodrive bound according to rumours)

Button would be too heartbreaking if he didn't win races. I'd love to see what Nico could do, but he's already ruled it out.

Sutil would be awesome but too risky. Pedro's a bit of a criminal these days. I don't think there's any one driver who can fill the gap left by a two time world champion - whoever moves into Alonso's seat, McLaren are going to be so much weaker.

Button would be too heartbreaking if he didn't win races. I'd love to see what Nico could do, but he's already ruled it out.

Sutil would be awesome but too risky. Pedro's a bit of a criminal these days. I don't think there's any one driver who can fill the gap left by a two time world champion - whoever moves into Alonso's seat, McLaren are going to be so much weaker.

I have to agree with you there. Alonso is irreplaceable, but he is definitely a loose cannon and is not a team player - What the team lose in speed they gain in discipline.

Heikki, definitely. I don't believe Renault can outpace McLaren next season... so at least by short-time thinking that would be a good choice. He would also be able to grill Hammy pretty soon. :clap3: Nico is another good candidate, maybe Sutil too - I'm impressed with him - but they should forget all the rest.

Kubiza would've been perfect, him and Heidfeld is signed right?

There were rumours about him but he's already under contract...The only thing they could do is a swap between FA and Kubica...but it's very unlikely atm since BMW don't want to let him go

There were rumours about him but he's already under contract...The only thing they could do is a swap between FA and Kubica...but it's very unlikely atm since BMW don't want to let him go

I've restarted the poll to add him to the list of the rumours...sorry I forgot about him

I'd like to see Jenson in the seat personally, but McLaren will probably be rubbish next year - they seem to have a good year followed by a disappointing one!

02 - poor

03 - good

04 - poor

05 - great

06 - poor

07- great

08 - ???

The thing is, what if Fernando stays at Mclaren? :lol:

His relation with them is in total tatters.... His bosses hate him; things have turned very sour in Mclaren....

His relation with them is in total tatters.... His bosses hate him; things have turned very sour in Mclaren....

I know, and Alonso hates them too, but still he is under contract, a very binding contract, and it is said that Mercedes is (or was) happy with him, and he has 2 sponsors MM and Santander that will likely be not very happy.

Legally it is going to be interesting

Davidson? Paffett?

On the latter I don't know very much. Solely mentioned on the fact he is a tester and that could warrant something. However, in going through his resume, not to bad at all.

I dont think we will see button in the seat, mainly because it offers Mclaren nothing at all in terms of sponsers, we have the British driver that the sponsers will go mad for, so pairing with another British driver seems a really bad decision (Especially as the whole equality stuff may rear its head in the British press).

I think De La Rosa would be a decent choice as the Spanish contracts would still be valid if it didnt explicitly name Alonso (hence why the backup driver lineup for Mclaren is Spanish and British). I would love to see Rosberg or Sutil in the seat, Kubica isnt coming to us no matter what, they would give Heidfeld up for Alonso I think but not Kubica. My ideal in the seat would be Rosberg I think, but Mclaren wont want to buy out that contract with the fine now... so I think its a no go. Sutil would be nice to see how quick he really is, but is very unproven (and Hamilton beat him before).

Rosberg, Kubica, Bruno Senna (wouldn't that last one be weird, considering Ayrton is Lewis' hero)...

or maybe Button (Lewis would destroy him of course) :P

Definetly Adrian Sutil..............did you see him running in 12th place yesterday chasing down DC........wow.in a spyker!

Alonso should be allowed to see his contract out till the end of 2009........he should be devoloping the car by being a test driver........$24m for a test driver is not too bad.

A large part of that glory can be put down to Spyker themselves. Not taking anything away from Sutil's performance, but it shouldn't go unnoticed.

A large part of that glory can be put down to Spyker themselves. Not taking anything away from Sutil's performance, but it shouldn't go unnoticed.

Gascoyne is working his magic and Sutil is rising to the occasion, that's all.

I have said it many times but i believe Alonso will stay at Mclaren. Why leave? Who wins if he does? There isn't a decent replacement for Fernando on the market and he has no better option himself. Listen to what Ron said to ITV at the weekend; he's a professional. His relationship with Fernando may be sour but i'll bet it isn't half as bad as all the hype mongers are claiming. Ron wants success. Fernando brings success. Ron and Fernando will talk about how they have hurt each other and move on, in my opinion.

Does anyone honestly believe that Fernando would trade a championship winning car for a cosy cuddle with Flavio?

Rosberg, Kubica, Bruno Senna (wouldn't that last one be weird, considering Ayrton is Lewis' hero)...

or maybe Button (Lewis would destroy him of course) :P

Bruno Senna is pretty much a mediatic operation.

Don't be so sure about Alonso leaving McLaren. He said for spanish radio he never said he wanted to leave. I think he will stay one year more unless they, both McLaren and Mercedes, tell him to go. Then he would think about an agreement.

He said he is only thinking on winning the Championship.

Bruno Senna is pretty much a mediatic operation.

I have no idea what that means but i think hiring Bruno would be just for his name and pretty foolish. Almost as foolish as hiring somebody like Michael Schumacher's brother, if he had one.

Excuse me?, what's that you say?