Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiano84

Who Would You Like To Replace Alonso?

Poll for McLaren fans  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who to replace Alonso, if needed?

• Nico Rosberg (contract buyout)
    • Adrian Sutil (contract buyout)
    • Alexander Wurz (free agent)
    • Ralf Schumacher (free agent)
    • Giancarlo Fisichella (free agent)
    • Pedro De La Rosa (free agent????)
    • Jenson Button (swap with Honda)
    • Heikki Kovalainen (swap with Renault)
    • Robert Kubica (swap with Sauber)

But nearly taken your own teammate out like in Spa where he pushed Lewis out wide? Nothing wrong with doing that to rivals, but with your own teammate you could risk taking out both drivers. Of course now Mclaren has been disqualified he could do that, but I feel he will do that even if Mclaren is still in the WCC. Dont get me wrong Alonso is a great driver, but seems to think more of himself than the team IMO.

Let's put all this in perspective. First off, i don't think the move by Alonso was that harsh on Lewis. He took a natural wide exit out of La Source, it was Lewis who was in the unnatural position, the position that was the most risky and he put himself there. He had to do that because he didn't qualify as well because he wasn't as fast as Fernando. I didn't see that change during the race. But, as with all things F1 these days, there was minimal risk for Lewis anyway because he had a run off area the size of Bonneville salt flats. So, it wasn't a big deal.

Secondly, Lewis is at his most petulant at the moment. Remember how earlier in the year Lewis and Fernando declared how they wouldn't talk about each other in the press unless they were both present? Lewis has a short memory or little respect for this agreement it would seem. He knows that relations are strained between Fernando and the team and has seen it as a licence to complain about Fernando's move. I disagree with his sentiment.

Thirdly, you are quite correct; Fernando does think more of himself than the team and that's exactly how it should be. Are you suggesting that Fernando should have deemed the risk of hitting Lewis to be too great and thus concede the position? Get real, this is a fight between heavy weights, not two English gentlemen holding the door open for each other.

But nearly taken your own teammate out like in Spa where he pushed Lewis out wide? Nothing wrong with doing that to rivals, but with your own teammate you could risk taking out both drivers. Of course now Mclaren has been disqualified he could do that, but I feel he will do that even if Mclaren is still in the WCC. Dont get me wrong Alonso is a great driver, but seems to think more of himself than the team IMO.

Lewis received a dose of his own medicine at La Source, good on Fernando for administering it.

Dont get me wrong Alonso is a great driver, but seems to think more of himself than the team IMO.

Don't get me wrong Hamilton is a great driver, but seems to think more of the team than himself IMO.

I wonder why? Could it be because he always try to be politicaly correct?

P.S.- Well except Monaco where he complained about the team not being fair, Hungary where he told Ron Dennis to f*ck off and said FIA all they needed to know to penalized McLaren, Spa where he complained again about his pace pointing to the team about it...

Don't make me laugh.

I'll said this once before. I hope they continue to throw there cars in and around each other. As a viewer I couldn't care less if they take each other out, lol.

Ahh, c'mon people, we're always complaing about a lack of racing and then when some actually happens, what do we do? That's right we complain some more! Alonso's move may have been harsh, but guess what - he's fighting for a world championship - F1 ain't some Disney movie with a happy ending, it's blood, guts & glory - I personally like the fact that Alonso did that - why shouldn't he? I suppose some here would propose that Alonso should of backed off, changed his line, gave Lewis all the room the rookie needs - that's not racing.

Hamilton has been doing exactly the same every race this year and has been applauded for it, yet when Alonso shows some mettle, he gets lambasted! Please give it up, this is racing at what (is supposed to be) the highest level, get a grip, these guys know what they're doing!

Remember they might be team-mates, but that matters little compared to the prospect of a world championship - Alonso is competitive, so is Lewis, both want to win - badly.

Furthermore, nothing came of this racing incident, and that's exactly what it was. Lewis' race pace was mediocre in comparison with team-mate Alonso - you can choose your own reasons why. Perhaps witheld setup knowledge, inexperience under pressure at this level, Alonso is just quicker, Hamilton is being more cautious - whatever, make your choice - most importantly Lewis underperformed relative to Alonso in the race. So the signifigance of the move is lessened by this simple fact.

To sum up, it was Hard but Fair.

As for the Lewis is playing a team game, that seems a bit ridiculous, I think some here are getting confused with 1) Giving the team the best possible press, trying to please the team in general, with 2) Driving for the team and constantly thinking about their wants and needs.

So Lewis tends to do number one quite a bit, big up Mclaren in the press, but do people actually think that when he is in the car he is (or was) thinking 'Time to get Mclaren some more points for that all important WCC'? Because I don't, I don't think it enters into his mind, I think he just gets on with it like any other driver. To expand on this, one naturally follows the other anyway, maximise one and you maximise the other (WDC & WCC).

There can only be one champion!

Sorry for the long post...

Ahh, c'mon people, we're always complaing about a lack of racing and then when some actually happens, what do we do? That's right we complain some more! Alonso's move may have been harsh, but guess what - he's fighting for a world championship - F1 ain't some Disney movie with a happy ending, it's blood, guts & glory - I personally like the fact that Alonso did that - why shouldn't he? I suppose some here would propose that Alonso should of backed off, changed his line, gave Lewis all the room the rookie needs - that's not racing.

Hamilton has been doing exactly the same every race this year and has been applauded for it, yet when Alonso shows some mettle, he gets lambasted! Please give it up, this is racing at what (is supposed to be) the highest level, get a grip, these guys know what they're doing!

Remember they might be team-mates, but that matters little compared to the prospect of a world championship - Alonso is competitive, so is Lewis, both want to win - badly.

Furthermore, nothing came of this racing incident, and that's exactly what it was. Lewis' race pace was mediocre in comparison with team-mate Alonso - you can choose your own reasons why. Perhaps witheld setup knowledge, inexperience under pressure at this level, Alonso is just quicker, Hamilton is being more cautious - whatever, make your choice - most importantly Lewis underperformed relative to Alonso in the race. So the signifigance of the move is lessened by this simple fact.

As for the Lewis is playing a team game, that seems a bit ridiculous, I think some here are getting confused with 1) Giving the team the best possible press, trying to please the team in general, with 2) Driving for the team and constantly thinking about their wants and needs.

So Lewis tends to do number one quite a bit, big up Mclaren in the press, but do people actually think that when he is in the car he is (or was) thinking 'Time to get Mclaren some more points for that all important WCC'? Because I don't, I don't think it enters into his mind, I think he just gets on with it like any other driver. To expand on this, one naturally follows the other anyway, maximise one and you maximise the other (WDC & WCC).

+1 Agree

No apology needed, your post was eloquent and worthy of its word quantity.

+2 Agree.

I agree Steve, McLaren and Fernano will find a working solution to the current problems that they have. Both McLaren and Fernando know that they are better off together than apart.

Fernando knows that he has a car capable of winning Championships with, if he can just hold off Lewis. And McLaren know they have a hard charger who will continue to lead the engineers in the right direction in terms of the teams development.

So what's to prevent Alonso from providing this to Renault? Many people were laughing at Alonso's horrible luck at landing in a dog that was McLaren's car. Those people didn't consider the part Alonso has played in directing the development of that car. If Alonso were to land in the horrible Renault, he'd improve it as he has done with the McLaren.

Don't get me wrong Hamilton is a great driver, but seems to think more of the team than himself IMO.

This is as it should be. Drivers compete for the driver's championship and the teams compete for the constructor's. Any driver that would place the constructor's championship ahead of the driver's isn't playing the game correctly. This isn't Football and the team is not supreme.

LATEST WILD RUMOUR:

Alonso to Red Bull, Webber to McLaren

But Mateschitz has already denied it

But Webber hasn't!! It seems these days that the drives have clauses built into their contracts for anything that may help them out of a contract. Remember the Button saga?

Is it fair?..... Well that's another thread but I'm sure most drivers would have something in their contract that allows them to exit on a technicallity. I would love to see Webber in a decent car then we would all know how good or average he is. McLaren would certainly be that chance but I very much doubt it will happen. Webber doesn't bring much to a team in the way of sponsorship dollars so that will always work against him.

Anyway...here's fingers crossed that it will happen.

So what's to prevent Alonso from providing this to Renault? Many people were laughing at Alonso's horrible luck at landing in a dog that was McLaren's car. Those people didn't consider the part Alonso has played in directing the development of that car. If Alonso were to land in the horrible Renault, he'd improve it as he has done with the McLaren.

I agree, Fernando would provide his developmental talents back to Renault if that happens to be the case. I don't think I was clear in what I was saying which was the reasons why I wanted Fernando to win the Championship over Lewis and the reason why he should stay with McLaren.

Hey how come no Mark Webber in the list? Seems that Red Bull and Mclaren might do a swap!

:prayhands:

Ron hates Flavio / Flavio hates Ron, but Mark could well be a extremely long shot as a form of compensation by Flavio along with a fair amount of money being transferred from Renault to McLaren.

Well each to their own opinion. Funny when I was talking about team play, people think I am bashing Alonso. Well that is up to those people, it is not my problem if people get offended. Just because I have a hamilton siggy does not mean I am anti-Alonso.

So as not to make people think I am bashing Alonso, I shall give other examples.

Remember the US grand prix when only the Bridgestone runners were racing? After the final round of pitstops Ferrari told Rubens and Michael not to race each other anymore. They were battling tough before that. That is my point, Ferrari seems to be able to get their drivers to play for the team while allowing them to race each other. A right balance must be achieved between the drivers aim and the team's aim. I dont remember Ferrari's crashing to each other often during Michael Schumacher's era. Yet I still remember the sole Grand Prix I've attended, the Malaysian Grand Prix where if I'm not mistaken, Montoya and Raikkonen touch sending Raikkonen spinning out of the race I think. Breaks my heart.

Okay, i know that a driver can have an influence on the way a car performs. But what specifically would Fernando do with this years Renault to make it a front runner, in your opinion?

As an armchair expert, the way i see it is like this. Fernando Alonso does not have any design skills in the following areas; aero, suspension hardware, chassis and engine. If we accept that these are the four fundamental areas that make a car go quickly he is only left with the physical difference in speed that he can bring to the car. That, and any set up adjustment.

Fernando is fast so he would be making the car go faster than Fisichella and probably Kovalainen. But looking at Fisichella's performances this year compared to last (and assuming that he hasn't slowed significantly this year) it is clear that relatively speaking, this years Renault is slower than last years.

Fernando can make adjustments to geometry, spring stiffness, damper bound/rebound, packer thickness, brake bias, wing levels and gearing. Truth be told though, computers optimise most of these settings these days so he is left to make the smallest of adjustment. Look at how Schumacher, with all his skill and knowledge could not make his '05 steed into a challenger and it demonstrates how tyres make the real difference.

I know that you disagree with me on this, Mike but i believe that Reanault's biggest troubles have been tyre transistion. It's just that losing Fernando was not helpful. If Fernando does go back to Renault, i believe he will be driving a car that it is much better because Symonds will have already worked out what is wrong and will have a fix for next year. If Fernando destroys Heikki, then it will be clearly Fernando's skill but i think they will be close.

if not for rumour i would like to see

Sato to mclaren

nando to renault(fisi seat)

someone to fill in sato at SAguri

well i wud like to see how (new) Sato can drive in mclaren and give some rare moves to this sensational LH.....

SEPTEMBER 20, 2007

Alonso to Renault? Why not Ferrari?

There is no doubt that part of the negotiation going on at Spa last weekend was to find a way for Fernando Alonso to get out of his McLaren contract. Our spies suggest that while everyone seems to think that Fernando will wash up at Renault, it is much more likely that he will be popping up as Kimi Raikkonen's team-mate at Ferrari. The Italian team would obviously have to pay a considerable sum of money in order to achieve that goal but no doubt that money could be used by McLaren to find a replacement and perhaps even to pay its fine.

Alonso was busy doing the rounds in Spa and was spotted at Red Bull Racing, which can only be seen as a courtesy call, rather than something serious. At the same time the sharp-eyed observers will have seen Felipe Massa visiting Toyota.

We also hear that a group of Ferrari owners recently visited the factory in Italy and were told by a senior Ferrari man that there was a possibility that Alonso would drive for Ferrari next season and that the team was working on a deal.

more at

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=227915

I would like to see Jim Clark or Jochen Rindt in the seat.

Either of them would be an example of everything that F1 could do with some more of; stunning bravery, cunning, manners, respect, a deep understanding of something called sportsmanship and that feeling that you know there was only them and the car that existed.

I do think there's little chance of this happening, but Max Muesli does seem to have extraordinary powers that transcend the normal. :naughty:

Sorry, I digressed. Failing that, I'd like Button in there.

if not for rumour i would like to see

Sato to mclaren

:lol: Oh thanks, i needed that.

Whoever replaces Alonso at Maclaren will have to play second fiddle to Lewis Hamilton because Ron Dennis and the rest of the team is so in love him for some reason.

:clap3: Isn't he friends with one of the Penn brothers? I think its Al.

:clap3:

Mmm. sawdust.

:clap3: Isn't he friends with one of the Penn brothers? I think its Al.

:lol::clap3:

Both keep me regular as clockwork, though only one of them is planned :P

Y'know, Max has been married for 50 years? And there's a lovely true story about the warmer side of his character, before he succumbed to The Dark Side.

Max was sitting at the breakfast table one morning when he said to Mrs Muesli, "Just think, honey, we've been married for 50 years."

"Yeah," she replied, "Just think, fifty years ago we were sitting here at this breakfast table together."

"I know," Max said, "We were sitting here naked as jaybirds fifty years ago, with half the Ferrari squad to boot!."

"Well," Mrs Muesli snickered, "What do you say...should we get naked?"

Where upon the two stripped to the buff and sat down at the table.

"You know, honey," Mrs Muesli breathlessly replied, "My breasts are as hot for you today as they were fifty years ago."

"I wouldn't be surprised," replied Max. "One's in your coffee and the other is in your porridge! Erm, I mean Muesli."

Okay, i know that a driver can have an influence on the way a car performs. But what specifically would Fernando do with this years Renault to make it a front runner, in your opinion?

As an armchair expert, the way i see it is like this. Fernando Alonso does not have any design skills in the following areas; aero, suspension hardware, chassis and engine. If we accept that these are the four fundamental areas that make a car go quickly he is only left with the physical difference in speed that he can bring to the car. That, and any set up adjustment.

You're trivializing quite a bit there, you saucy minx. All those set-up parameters (and ballast placement) matter a great deal. Take a simple kart for example...you can gain maybe 1/10 per lap just by altering tyre pressures. In ten laps that amounts to a one second difference in time. Pretty significant and that's only one parameter out of the many that Alonso can affect.

Fernando can make adjustments to geometry, spring stiffness, damper bound/rebound, packer thickness, brake bias, wing levels and gearing. Truth be told though, computers optimise most of these settings these days so he is left to make the smallest of adjustment. Look at how Schumacher, with all his skill and knowledge could not make his '05 steed into a challenger and it demonstrates how tyres make the real difference.

I would disagree that computer optimise the set-up variables. Computers get you in the zone, and the driver optimises (or I should say refines) the set-up based on his driving style. When evaluating how much a driver's input has real impact, I remember earlier this season we heard a radio transmission between He-of-the-unspellable-name and, I presume, his race engineer during a break in qualy or somesuch. The exchange went something like this:

ENGINEER: "So, do you want any changes, adjustments?"

HK: "Uh..I don't know....what do you think?"

I don't remember that He-of-the-unspellable-name went on to set the track on fire....

You're quite right that MS had horrible Bridgestones in '05. Even with that handicap, he came in 3rd in the championship..ahead of Kimi and Alonso's teammates. I suppose you could say that he only did that because of Indy, but I would argue that for Indy, MS had the perfect tyre, but for all the other races he didn't..it evens out.

I know that you disagree with me on this, Mike but i believe that Reanault's biggest troubles have been tyre transistion. It's just that losing Fernando was not helpful. If Fernando does go back to Renault, i believe he will be driving a car that it is much better because Symonds will have already worked out what is wrong and will have a fix for next year. If Fernando destroys Heikki, then it will be clearly Fernando's skill but i think they will be close.

Here's a quote from Bob Bell I took from pitpass.com

The team has been conducting a phase of problem-solving since early in the season to make up its performance deficit. What is the current status of that process?

BB: We are reaching a key point in the process, because we now have now identified and understood the problem. Simply put, there was a discrepancy between the car's predicted performance in the wind tunnel and its behaviour on track. We therefore began an extensive test and analysis programme to correct this. Some of the problems we discovered had their roots in the 2006 season, but had in fact been masked by our competitiveness at the time. We have now identified, and modified, the parts of the car that were causing the problems, and our simulations correlate well with the car's on-track behaviour.

What? So the problems with the current chassis have it's roots in last year's car? I would think that if the problems this year were there last year, we should have seen Renault sucking a bit more last year than they did. Indeed, if the title challenge were up to Fisico, Mikey would have won it. This tells me that Alonso's total racecraft was the bit of 'competitiveness' that masked the chassis problems last year. Without Alonso there, Renault are now left with the original problem and the new tyre problem. This tells me that with Alonso there, they would still be masking their problems of last year, and would only be dealing with the tyre issue, if that. It's more than possible that Alonso would be able to mitigate the tyre issue as well. Look at Heikki: he's getting the hang of the tyres faster than Fisico and he's only a rookie. Imagine what a seasoned Alonso would be doing....

Would Renault be winning with Alonso? Maybe not but they certainly would be getting a podium or two.

Steve, I hate you for making me defend that rat-b@stard Alonso. Damn you.

:lol::clap3:

Both keep me regular as clockwork, though only one of them is planned :P

Y'know, Max has been married for 50 years? And there's a lovely true story about the warmer side of his character, before he succumbed to The Dark Side.

Max was sitting at the breakfast table one morning when he said to Mrs Muesli, "Just think, honey, we've been married for 50 years."

"Yeah," she replied, "Just think, fifty years ago we were sitting here at this breakfast table together."

"I know," Max said, "We were sitting here naked as jaybirds fifty years ago, with half the Ferrari squad to boot!."

"Well," Mrs Muesli snickered, "What do you say...should we get naked?"

Where upon the two stripped to the buff and sat down at the table.

"You know, honey," Mrs Muesli breathlessly replied, "My breasts are as hot for you today as they were fifty years ago."

"I wouldn't be surprised," replied Max. "One's in your coffee and the other is in your porridge! Erm, I mean Muesli."

I so wish you could have heard my laughter. Priceless.

You're trivializing quite a bit there, you saucy minx. All those set-up parameters (and ballast placement) matter a great deal. Take a simple kart for example...you can gain maybe 1/10 per lap just by altering tyre pressures. In ten laps that amounts to a one second difference in time. Pretty significant and that's only one parameter out of the many that Alonso can affect.

I would disagree that computer optimise the set-up variables. Computers get you in the zone, and the driver optimises (or I should say refines) the set-up based on his driving style. When evaluating how much a driver's input has real impact, I remember earlier this season we heard a radio transmission between He-of-the-unspellable-name and, I presume, his race engineer during a break in qualy or somesuch. The exchange went something like this:

ENGINEER: "So, do you want any changes, adjustments?"

HK: "Uh..I don't know....what do you think?"

I don't remember that He-of-the-unspellable-name went on to set the track on fire....

You're quite right that MS had horrible Bridgestones in '05. Even with that handicap, he came in 3rd in the championship..ahead of Kimi and Alonso's teammates. I suppose you could say that he only did that because of Indy, but I would argue that for Indy, MS had the perfect tyre, but for all the other races he didn't..it evens out.

Here's a quote from Bob Bell I took from pitpass.com

What? So the problems with the current chassis have it's roots in last year's car? I would think that if the problems this year were there last year, we should have seen Renault sucking a bit more last year than they did. Indeed, if the title challenge were up to Fisico, Mikey would have won it. This tells me that Alonso's total racecraft was the bit of 'competitiveness' that masked the chassis problems last year. Without Alonso there, Renault are now left with the original problem and the new tyre problem. This tells me that with Alonso there, they would still be masking their problems of last year, and would only be dealing with the tyre issue, if that. It's more than possible that Alonso would be able to mitigate the tyre issue as well. Look at Heikki: he's getting the hang of the tyres faster than Fisico and he's only a rookie. Imagine what a seasoned Alonso would be doing....

Would Renault be winning with Alonso? Maybe not but they certainly would be getting a podium or two.

Steve, I hate you for making me defend that rat-b@stard Alonso. Damn you.

Yep damn me, but it brings out the best in you because you know i'm worth replying to; fine post. Alonso makes the difference, no doubt and as you have realised i hope, i am a fan. I agree with your analysis; Renault wouldn't be winning. I am glad you acknowledge the tyre issue but i'm not so sure that he would masked it as easily as you say. Look how long it has taken him to gain the upper hand over Lewis. That's mainly down to tyres, in my opinion.