Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

samfraser

Thinking About Going To Spa Francorchamps?

DON'T!!!

My wife and I decided to go to the F1 Francorchamps race this year as each we try to go to a different race.

Trying to find the circuit is pretty easy if you drive. Trying to find your camping site is extremely difficult due to very, very poor signage! After a 3 1/2 hour drive from Calais we spent over an hour driving round the Spa area trying to find the Le Comes camping site.

Camping is very expensive! Brace yourself for 40euro/night. We though ok it's expensive but perhaps there will be good facilities. NOT! There were 4 portable toilets, 1 of which some German guy had locked with a padlock for himself and his family to use at their leisure. So for about 1000 people on the campsite there were only 3 very...full toilets!!

For the first night we managed to avoid going to the toilets for a no2 as we thought once we got to the circuit there would be some decent toilets. NOT! On arrival at our stand were we were going to sit we were confronted with a long row of men lined up against the bushes with their willies out!! To our dismay the only toilets were portable toilets, again they were very very full and stinking to the high heavens! No wonder all the men just pee on the bushes!

We thought that after paying nearly 300 euro/each for our tickets that there would at least be decent toilets. Not only that, there were no speakers working near our stands, which meant we couldn't hear any interviews with the drivers, couldn't hear any anthems or festivities down on the start/finish straight and couldn't hear the race commentry!!!

The circuit was also very very dirty, there were no bins anywhere which meant everyone just threw their rubbish on the ground, manky!

Worst of all was after the race on Sunday. We gave ourselves what we thought was a very generous 1 1/2 hours after the race to be stuck in traffic before heading back to get the tunnel. How wrong were we! We were stuck in traffic for 5 hours!!! Before we even left the Spa area!! The utter disorganisation by the Spa police was unbelievable! For hours we didn't even move! So we had to kiss our tunnel tickets goodbye and stay the night in a hotel. More expanse, thanks Spa Francorchamps!!

Only good part of the weekend was seeing L'eau rouge.

So in all I find the circuit very over rated for the spectators and I can now understand why the circuit is on the verge of being removed from the F1 calendar. And so it should be!!

Don't forget to take a portable bathrrom with you....

I never forget my portable bathroom, but if I did I'd just crap in the bushes like everyone else, or in Honda's garage (it would blend in).

Hey Rainmaster, was that your banner saying "Ron want a tenner?"? Reason I ask is that we were sitting next to it!!

Jeez, I think I'll avoid that GP then! I wonder which circuit has the best facilities. Anyone? I've only ever been to Albert park which is a temporary street circuit, so it still has that travelling circus, portaloos and expensive hot dogs feel.

377366.jpg

Thats a site that Ive gotta see one day.

So was your ticket general addmission?

That picture does not give you any idea what the bend is like. I couldn't explain it if I tried so the only way is to see it for yourself, but trust me, it's not worth the hassle!

Nurburgring in Germany has excellent facilities both at the official/permanent campsites and the circuit. I didn't stay at the official campsite so had to put up with portable loos, they were regularly cleaned out though. The Germans are big on their fireworks, woke up one morning busting for a pee so had to make my way up to portable loos only to find...they had all melted!! Yes, all 8 loos, MELTED!! They were just a big pile of bubbling gue...and poo! So had to venture into the forest for some privacy. At the circuit we sat down at the hairpin last year.

Silverstone is also good at the circuit, in fact it's better than Nurburgring in places. It doesn't have a permanent campsite but on the one I went to the portable loos flushed and Everything! There were also portable showers but you have to be up at the crack of dawn to get a hot one.

Other questions....oh ticket cost at Spa Francorchamps. No that was not general admission, that was seating at Le Comes. General admission is about 120euros for the 3 days. If you're going general admin then the best spot I would say (after walking the circuit) is the Le Come straight as close to the end as possible. This is where Webber pulled of that cracking overtake on Kovi. Prepair to be surrounded by litter!! :wacko:

Hey Rainmaster, was that your banner saying "Ron want a tenner?"? Reason I ask is that we were sitting next to it!!

It certainly was, very cool that you were sitting next to it, perhaps seeing that banner was the highlight of your weekend?

That picture does not give you any idea what the bend is like. I couldn't explain it if I tried so the only way is to see it for yourself, but trust me, it's not worth the hassle!

Nurburgring in Germany has excellent facilities both at the official/permanent campsites and the circuit. I didn't stay at the official campsite so had to put up with portable loos, they were regularly cleaned out though. The Germans are big on their fireworks, woke up one morning busting for a pee so had to make my way up to portable loos only to find...they had all melted!! Yes, all 8 loos, MELTED!! They were just a big pile of bubbling gue...and poo! So had to venture into the forest for some privacy. At the circuit we sat down at the hairpin last year.

Silverstone is also good at the circuit, in fact it's better than Nurburgring in places. It doesn't have a permanent campsite but on the one I went to the portable loos flushed and Everything! There were also portable showers but you have to be up at the crack of dawn to get a hot one.

Other questions....oh ticket cost at Spa Francorchamps. No that was not general admission, that was seating at Le Comes. General admission is about 120euros for the 3 days. If you're going general admin then the best spot I would say (after walking the circuit) is the Le Come straight as close to the end as possible. This is where Webber pulled of that cracking overtake on Kovi. Prepair to be surrounded by litter!! :wacko:

Spa was for ame a must see before I died.

So thanks for your post Itsb

DON'T!!!

My wife and I decided to go to the F1 Francorchamps race this year as each we try to go to a different race.

Trying to find the circuit is pretty easy if you drive. Trying to find your camping site is extremely difficult due to very, very poor signage! After a 3 1/2 hour drive from Calais we spent over an hour driving round the Spa area trying to find the Le Comes camping site.

Camping is very expensive! Brace yourself for 40euro/night. We though ok it's expensive but perhaps there will be good facilities. NOT! There were 4 portable toilets, 1 of which some German guy had locked with a padlock for himself and his family to use at their leisure. So for about 1000 people on the campsite there were only 3 very...full toilets!!

For the first night we managed to avoid going to the toilets for a no2 as we thought once we got to the circuit there would be some decent toilets. NOT! On arrival at our stand were we were going to sit we were confronted with a long row of men lined up against the bushes with their willies out!! To our dismay the only toilets were portable toilets, again they were very very full and stinking to the high heavens! No wonder all the men just pee on the bushes!

We thought that after paying nearly 300 euro/each for our tickets that there would at least be decent toilets. Not only that, there were no speakers working near our stands, which meant we couldn't hear any interviews with the drivers, couldn't hear any anthems or festivities down on the start/finish straight and couldn't hear the race commentry!!!

The circuit was also very very dirty, there were no bins anywhere which meant everyone just threw their rubbish on the ground, manky!

Worst of all was after the race on Sunday. We gave ourselves what we thought was a very generous 1 1/2 hours after the race to be stuck in traffic before heading back to get the tunnel. How wrong were we! We were stuck in traffic for 5 hours!!! Before we even left the Spa area!! The utter disorganisation by the Spa police was unbelievable! For hours we didn't even move! So we had to kiss our tunnel tickets goodbye and stay the night in a hotel. More expanse, thanks Spa Francorchamps!!

Only good part of the weekend was seeing L'eau rouge.

So in all I find the circuit very over rated for the spectators and I can now understand why the circuit is on the verge of being removed from the F1 calendar. And so it should be!!

look on the bright side, you'll love this article, it was posted by ..... (I forgot) in another thread...

http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt19663.html

for me Spa was a must see before I died!

so thanks for your post its ben a real insight.

i have seen/done double posts but quadriple posts???

LOL, my computer was slow to react!

Read the link. Personally I like to see over taking rather than seeing cars being stretched to their limits, makes for an exciting race.

I see he had the similar traffic problems as us. As I

This is not the first time i have read negative reaction to Spa. This is why Silverstone needs government funded improvement. The logistics are poor and the facilities incomparable to the worlds best.