Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bro.

Jackie Stewart V Max Mosley

Stewart eyes legal action against Mosley

By Mark Glendenning and Dieter RenckenTuesday, October 9th 2007, 08:49 GMT

Jackie Stewart is considering legal action against FIA president Max Mosley following remarks attributed to the FIA President in the British media last week.

Mosley reportedly described Stewart as a "certified half-wit" while at a lunch with journalists. He dismissed Stewart's criticism of the record US$100 million dollar fine dealt to McLaren in the F1 spy case, the president saying that nobody in Formula One took the Scot's opinions seriously.

"That [legal] option is still very open," Stewart told autosport.com in Shanghai. "My lawyers advised me that I have every right to do so, and that's an option that I am able to take up. We're in communication - I'm not personally, but my lawyers are in communication with Mr Mosley."

Stewart also said that he was disappointed to see such remarks coming from someone in Mosley's position, and claimed that it was unbecoming of the sport.

"I think it was very wrong for Max to do what he did, because it's unbecoming for the president of the body that governs this sport to be speaking in such a fashion," he said.

"I don't think you would see the chairman of the Olympic movement saying such a thing. And that of course is much higher than Max, but nevertheless it is an international organisation.

"I think it was an act of misjudgement by him, but he must have been very upset - for no apparent reason, because any criticisms that I have made are no different from many other people aired with respect to the severity of the penalty of the McLaren thing, and the manner in which the case came together.

"So I think I was observing and I have the privilege of doing that as an individual opinion, but he obviously is not used to people questioning some of his judgements. And in this particular case I didn't do it against Max Mosley, it was just my opinion of the whole business that took place.

"But I think it is unfortunate that he behaved in the fashion that he has. It is libellous, and I think that's really all I can say."

Mosley's comments have drawn condemnation from other quarters, including 1996 world champion Damon Hill, who made his feelings clear in a letter to Autosport magazine this week.

"It is well known that Sir Jackie is dyslexic and has struggles (as many thousands do) to cope with the all too easily made judgement that they are less intelligent than 'ordinary' folk," Hill wrote.

"This is in fact more often than not quite the opposite, and many dyslexic people are highly intelligent and extraordinarily gifted, as I believe is the case with Sir Jackie.

"To call him therefore a 'certified halfwit' would be on the first level unkind, but on another level, indeed the level at which Mr Mosley would like us to understand he operates on, is nothing other than a wicked joke designed to visit the utmost humiliation on its victim.

"Regardless or not of whether he was alluding to his dyslexia, what he said was a gross insult to one of the sport's leading figures over the last four decades and a thrice world champion.

"Not only is it bad manners, it also calls into question the character and judgment of the man who represents motor sport throughout the world through the august institution of the FIA.

"It is conduct most unbecoming of an FIA president and, in my humble view, brought the sport into disrepute, a crime he seems so keen to eradicate."

space.gif

Source anyone?

Oh please let this happen, oh merciful Lord.

Jackie Stewart: I AM Jackie Stewart! And I see a whole army of my country men, here, in defiance of tyranny. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?

Soldier: Against Max Mosley? No, we will run, and we will live.

Jackie Stewart: Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell Max Mosley that he may take our lives, but he'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

[crowd cheers]

This sport just sinks further in the mud everyday.

Bravo Damon Hill.

I wish all the sponsors would just tell the teams they are not having anything to do with this anymore until reason reigns supreme.

I think I'll write a letter telling Johnny Walker what an absolute disgrace F1 is to thinking people.

Good on ya JYS.

you have done so much for the sport, especially safety, why should you let Max overpower you!

everyone is entitled to a freedom of speech and what DH said was spot on.

This sport just sinks further in the mud everyday.

Bravo Damon Hill.

I wish all the sponsors would just tell the teams they are not having anything to do with this anymore until reason reigns supreme.

I think I'll write a letter telling Johnny Walker what an absolute disgrace F1 is to thinking people.

I think that's half the problem YHR, Max Muesli behaves like he's had too much Johnny Walker :beer22:

:nono1:

You can never have too much Johnny Walker

Err ... There, sir, we shall have to disagree ... I prefer single malt. Although, if blended is all that's to be had, Johnnie Walker is probably the best ... Still want to try the Blue Label some day.

I dont even know what Johnny walker tastes like.

Btw im with you Autumn Puma

But there are ways to disagree with someone without making snide comments. Instead of ridiculing the little Scottish chap, Max should have made an intelligent rebuttal. The fact that he didn't tells me a little more about Max.

What does it say about Jackie Stewart, a guy who goes to the court over such trivial issues?

What does it say about Jackie Stewart, a guy who goes to the court over such trivial issues?

Maybe he doesn't want to leave Max with the impression he can treat previous drivers this way without repercussions.

Pride, family, hard earned reputation, huge amounts of credibility (and money) potentially lost. Self respect, defending what you believe is right and just - and should be preserved, the knowledge that if he doesn't act then Muesli has his Insulting Super Licence.

It's not trivial.

Frankly, I just wish he'd give Max a Glaswegian kiss.