Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piotr

Another Country To Hate Hamilton

I am not rendering an opinion here (even hesitated before introducing this as a new topic), but I think it's interesting enough for some of you. Apparently, there is a war of words brewing between Polish and British press. After what I considered a non-event of LH and RK synchronised spinning at Fuji, Hamilton indicated that it was Kubica who caused it by an overaggressive (is such a thing even possible in F1???) move to the inside, while Kubica indicated that it was Hamilton who blindly (by his own admission) cut the apex after going wide and effectively created his own racing line that crossed with RK's. The e-press in England and elswehere either took Hamilton's side, or remained neutral simply reporting the incident and (sometimes) quoting him. The e-press in Poland was either neutral (and quoting mostly Kubica), or took Kubica's side by blaming Hamilton for blindly cutting RK off.

The things took a nasty turn when London's Sun printed their mandatory Hamilton-is-God piece and mentioning "Kubica's idiotic move." Press in Poland went apeSh#t with headlines proclaiming "British Press Went Too Far!" "Unfair penalty for Kubica" or "Incomprehensible Penalty." They brought up the fact (like myself) that in the identical situation Nick "Rambo" Heidfeld took out two drivers at GP Europe (including Kubica) and was not penalized. The press in a rather sarcastic way mentioned the fact that many "western bloggers" call Hamilton "FIAmilton" (and I mean the national press outlets reported that, not just blogs), that FIA seems determined to "sweep the way ahead of Hamilton's WDC", and quoted Theissen's statement about Hamilton seemingly being unaffected by any incidents on the track, implying that Theissen meant LH has been deemed "untouchable" by FIA. Somebody even dug up a fact that the chief FIA steward responsible for Kubica's penalty was - British (well, I didn't know that, and none of the "western press' reported that little tidbit).

I think the slight majority of the viewers would admit that Kubica's penalty was at least strange (and did remove him from Hamilton's way). But what I find interesting is the fact that after Spanish, and to some extent Italian, press now we have Polish press accusing FIA of favoritism toward Hamilton. Personally, I think there is some weight to those accusation, albeit Hamilton is a good enough driver to fight for WDC without any outside "help."

Now, having said that, back to youtube for Kubicav. Massa fest (again). Today it's in the top 20 "most viewed." Oh, they have Hamilton driving across finish line. Yesterday's viewers count of that one stood at 541. :naughty:

Now, having said that, back to youtube for Kubicav. Massa fest (again). Today it's in the top 20 "most viewed." Oh, they have Hamilton driving across finish line. Yesterday's viewers count of that one stood at 541. :naughty:

That is just becuase it was an awesome fight between the two, one which we have seen in F1 after too long....

about the Polish vs Britsh Press.... With all this happening, what solutions do you suggest?(or waht can be done?) i am pretty sure FIA will not get involved in this whole thing...(or atleast hope)

Can't believe I'm about to say this but..........AAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.........................I agree with the Sun on this one...............

I feel unclean.

Regardless of that though, I'm surprised the Polish press care what the Sun says- I could understand them being annoyed with Kubica's penalty, but what do they expect? They should stick to reading the broadsheets.

My opinion on Kubicas failed overtaking attempt is that considering the poor visibility, he should've known Hamilton might not be able to see him. It was kind of a silly risk really.

That is just becuase it was an awesome fight between the two, one which we have seen in F1 after too long....

about the Polish vs Britsh Press.... With all this happening, what solutions do you suggest?(or waht can be done?) i am pretty sure FIA will not get involved in this whole thing...(or atleast hope)

Well, elswhere on this forum we agreed that this "circus" is an intrisinc part of F1. Bad calls will be made. People will cry foul. Life goes on. I think FIA is part of a F1 "corporation." This is a moneymaking machine and everybody does whatever they can to increase profits. If Hamilton's WDC makes money, they'll help it along. Such is life.

Oh, here is a link to an interview with unhappy Kubica (in Polish-but just listen to his tone of voice).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThY3U2i8SA

In essence :

Q-Don't you think your penalty was very strange

A- If I were penalised for THIS, many more drivers should have been penalized, including this race

Q-it seems you were driving erratic

A- Water was getting into the engine, I had multiple misfires, and were losing time on every restart. I got stuck behind Coulthard and lost a lot of time.

Q-did you have other problems? Your lap times changed from lap to lap.

A-The conditions were changing all the time, we were aquaplaining everywhere, going sideways on straighaways. I just don't understand the decision to start the race, I mean here you are at 250 km/h and you can see about 20 m ahaed of you.

Q- how was the end of the race

A - the last 20 laps were very fast, Felipe pushed me out one turn, so I pushed him out on another, then I had a choice of keeping my line in the last turn and putting us both in the wall or finishing the race, so I decided to let him go.

WHATEVER!

Overall, he seemed extremely agitated.

My opinion on Kubicas failed overtaking attempt is that considering the poor visibility, he should've known Hamilton might not be able to see him. It was kind of a silly risk really.

I just watched the vid of this "incident." Although at GP Europe it was obviosu that Heidfeld could avoid Kubica and didn't, here there is NO WAY of telling what happened. Hamilton went wide, but so did Kubica, Hamilton went toward the apex and they touched. Comparing this to the last lap battle with Massa, this whole thing was a joke. Definitely NOT a penalty issue. Because if it was, I want to hear why Hamilton was not penalized for his erratic behavior behind the SC.

Can't believe I'm about to say this but..........AAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.........................I agree with the Sun on this one...............

I feel unclean.

Regardless of that though, I'm surprised the Polish press care what the Sun says- I could understand them being annoyed with Kubica's penalty, but what do they expect? They should stick to reading the broadsheets.

Well, my point is this is the third country's press crying foul over FIA alleged favoritism.

As to Sun's editorial, I have not heard them calling Hamilton's numerous antics (I did comment in June on his weaving at the starts as several drivers complained) "idiotic." I could claim his off at GP Europe was "idiotic." In the words of Kubica - "Whatever!"

It's just that apparent lack of any objectivism in British press when it comes to Hamilton is just pathetric.

Well, my point is this is the third country's press crying foul over FIA alleged favoritism.

As to Sun's editorial, I have not heard them calling Hamilton's numerous antics (I did comment in June on his weaving at the starts as several drivers complained) "idiotic." I could claim his off at GP Europe was "idiotic." In the words of Kubica - "Whatever!"

It's just that apparent lack of any objectivism in British press when it comes to Hamilton is just pathetric.

Everybody bitches about FIA alleged favouritism. On this forum I've heard them be biased against Hamilton, biased towards Hamilton, biased against Ferrari, biased towards Ferrari, bear responsibility for every stewards decision that doesn't favour the poster's national driver.

The only time I can ever agree is when somebody has the intelligence to realise the FIA are far too incompetent to be biased, at least not in any kind of consistent way.

You could claim Hamilton's off at the Nurbergring was idiotic- you'd be completely wrong of course, since A) he was one of six drivers who did the same, B) the conditions were far worse- even on full wets the cars were unable to race, hence the red flag, C) he wasn't attempting to overtake another driver on the inside in conditions where it was obvious he couldn't be seen. Worthy of a drivethrough? Probably not. But definitely not a risk worth taking.

The things took a nasty turn when London's Sun printed their mandatory Hamilton-is-God piece and mentioning "Kubica's idiotic move."...

Yep. Quick to insult, the UK press. It even surprised me how deadly fast they started to take it out on Alonso. But it is a mistake to think it is a pleasure reserved to outsiders. They are pretty cannibalistic in the UK. Just wait to see what happens to Hamilton if he doesn't measure up.

I think the slight majority of the viewers would admit that Kubica's penalty was at least strange

Yep. Race incident through and through.

and did remove him from Hamilton's way).

Yep. True it is. They cleared the way for Hamilton (right or wrong).

Notice how a similar incident (Vettel taking on Alonso) was ignored, even though it was far worse. In my opinion, neither deserved a penalty but.. ya know... fairplay?

But what I find interesting is the fact that after Spanish, and to some extent Italian, press now we have Polish press accusing FIA of favoritism toward Hamilton.

Yep. That there is such a long long series of "coincidences" means that we live in a coincidental universe, nothing more.

Personally, I think there is some weight to those accusation, albeit Hamilton is a good enough driver to fight for WDC without any outside "help."

Yep. My thoughts all along. In fact, I remember thinking the same thing about Schumacher last year at Monza. But hey, those that disagree with us must be a frigging crowd.

The things took a nasty turn when London's Sun printed their mandatory Hamilton-is-God piece and mentioning "Kubica's idiotic move."...

Yep. Quick to insult, the UK press. It even surprised me how deadly fast they started to take it out on Alonso. But it is a mistake to think it is a pleasure reserved to outsiders. They are pretty cannibalistic in the UK. Just wait to see what happens to Hamilton if he doesn't measure up.

Yep- he'll be slayed soon enough. He got plenty of flack for leaving his girlfriend, who was painted as a saintly model of loyalty while he had let fame go to his head and run off to more glamourous liaisons.

The minute he starts to be less that perfect on track he'll face the wrath of the press too. Look at Tim Henman......

The penalty is stupid.... Especially considering the complaints from fans of not being enough overtaking... this just tells drivers not to try anything unless it's 100% going to come off... Do we really want that?

kubica was very erratic on the day - he seemed to understeer into lewis' car to me.

The stewards were better placed to make a judgement than you or I and decided that Kubica was at fault - Pure and simple, no bias there.

Watch the lines Kubica was taking when driving dicing with Massa, the guy doesn't appear to see other drivers.

:unsure:

Actually, was it a bad idea to remove the erratic Kubica from the eye line of lewis? Not really I'd argue - Back in the old days drivers not competing for a WDC would make a conserted effort not to get invloved or challenge those challenging for the WDC - As Kubica demonstrated, he could have caused an incident that could ultimately have affected this year's WDC - what was he challenging for? Nothing really, so I woud argure that if he can not drive in a responsible manner best to remove him.

Good call

:clap3:

Does anyone remember a time when two blokes hit each other, they analysed it, shrugged their shoulders and moved on? A time when the press weren't singularly obsessed with shifting papers and so reported without sensationalism? A time when there was more important things in the world to think about and none of us occupied our time with such petty trivialities?

Does anyone remember a time when two blokes hit each other, they analysed it, shrugged their shoulders and moved on? A time when the press weren't singularly obsessed with shifting papers and so reported without sensationalism? A time when there was more important things in the world to think about and none of us occupied our time with such petty trivialities?

nope.

Thats only because I wasn't following F1 back in those days.. -_-

Serveral things, Piotr and probably stuff I have mentioned before, but hey ho.

Yes, the British press is baised in the main, as are most countries, if you listen to other members' opinions on their own media. In my mind there is no worse newspaper than the sun, but admittedly I am biased. Being a scouser and Liverpool footy fan, the sun has long been banned in mine and many households in this city due to their lies. There has only ever been 1 reason to buy the sun and that is because they have a topless girl on page 3 and their level of journalism, if you can call it that, is completely on par with that fact. Sorry if I am insulting any sun readers, but that's my opinion :lol: There are however some British media/press that are not biased, well certainly not all the time and their standards of journalism are much higher and I am sure other countries are just the same in this respect.

With regards to saying this is the 3rd country to start hating Hamilton and calling him FIAmilton. Unfortunately, this is just a sad fact that the majority of media just follow each other like sheep, pick up a phrase like that and put their own spin on it. Presumably, nothing would have been said in the Polish press if it was just between 2 British drivers or British/American, etc, if you see what I mean? So, they are only sticking up for their own sport person, like the British press does. Maybe not to the same extent or as biased, but it is still there and they are right to do so.

Please don't view the British press views as the views of the British people, though. Kubica's move was not idiotic and didn't deserve a penalty. Hamilton and Kubica fans will have their own views on it which will differ, I am sure. In my view Kubica just slid slightly and clipped Lewis and I don't think it had anything really to do with the line Lewis was taking, if he hadn't slid he wouldn't have hit Lewis. If Lewis hadn't been there, he would have just gone a tad wide, lost a little bit of time and carried on, it was just unfortunate that Lewis was there, racing incident, nothing else. To be honest, the comments I saw from Lewis after the race said as much, but I was only watching the re-run so I don't know what was edited.

That would be a long time ago now, Steve. :lol:

nope.

Thats only because I wasn't following F1 back in those days.. -_-

:lol: honest answer!

Well, I just watched the vid, I think it was a silly race incident and Lewis was taking a line that he thought it was clean, and Kubica must have realised that there was plenty of space on the inside and took a dive, but unfortunately, Kubica skids. Must be like what Fed up said. It was because it could have affected the outcome of this year's Championship.

The inconsistancy of the good old FIA again.

But Kubica came from a very very long way back I thought.

But slightly extreme penilising him with a drive through but anyways he still scored points and it didn't have any effect on His nor Lewis's championship did it.

no penalty should of been given, it was racing incident. the FIA are inconsistant when it comes to penalties and punishments, and i don't know why punishing Kubica in this race would of helped Hamilton - in other words no bias in this situation. just because an official is of the same nationality, doesn't prove bias.

The Sun are largely in the dark when it comes to Formula 1, and most other things for that matter.

Yes, the British press is baised in the main, as are most countries, if you listen to other members' opinions on their own media. In my mind there is no worse newspaper than the sun, but admittedly I am biased. Being a scouser and Liverpool footy fan, the sun has long been banned in mine and many households in this city due to their lies. There has only ever been 1 reason to buy the sun and that is because they have a topless girl on page 3 and their level of journalism, if you can call it that, is completely on par with that fact. Sorry if I am insulting any sun readers, but that's my opinion :lol: There are however some British media/press that are not biased, well certainly not all the time and their standards of journalism are much higher and I am sure other countries are just the same in this respect.

Isn't the Daily mail worse?