Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piotr

Is Bernie Going Senile???

Ecclestone hails Hamilton as saviour of F1

By Alan BaldwinSaturday, October 6th 2007, 04:03 GMT

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has hailed Lewis Hamilton as the saviour of the sport.

While the 22-year-old McLaren driver prepared for a Chinese Grand Prix that could make him Formula One's first rookie champion on Sunday, leading lights led a chorus of praise for the Briton.

"Lewis Hamilton has been a real breath of fresh air and has resurrected Formula One," Britain's Guardian newspaper quoted commercial rights holder Ecclestone, who is not in Shanghai, as saying.

"I have been in motor racing longer than I care to remember, but I have never seen anyone like him. He has been nothing short of a miracle worker.

"We lost a big hero in Michael Schumacher but in Lewis we have another. But for him, I'm not sure where the sport would be heading."

Hamilton, winner of four races so far this year, leads teammate and double world champion Fernando Alonso by 12 points with just one race remaining after Sunday.

He has already claimed a string of records, including first rookie to finish his opening nine races on the podium, youngest British race winner and first driver to score 100 points from his first 15 starts.

If he dethrones Alonso, he will also replace the Spaniard as Formula One's youngest champion.

"It is painfully obvious to me that the right guy to be world champion is Lewis," said Ecclestone.

"In fact, my main fear would be if he didn't win it. Kimi Raikkonen barely talks to anyone and as such has done little for the sport, and as for Fernando Alonso, in his two years as world champion he has done nothing."

Damon Hill, Britain's last world champion with Williams in 1996, said he was "totally amazed" by what Hamilton had achieved.

Frank Williams, Hill's former boss, compared Hamilton to Ferrari's seven times world champion Schumacher and the late Brazilian champion Ayrton Senna.

"He is very special. Once every 10 years they come along, like Ayrton and Michael. It is a very rare event and a fantastic event and a story for Formula One," he told a news conference at the Shanghai circuit.

Ferrari boss Jean Todt added his compliments: "Normally a very talented driver in his first year in F1 doesn't drive for a winning team with a winning car.

"That was the opportunity he had and he used it very well. We can only have respect and admiration for what he has achieved this year."

Hamilton's own team boss, Ron Dennis, said the facts were plain to see.

"He has broken more records than any other young driver, and I think the records speak for themselves. We can all eulogise his achievements, but I think actions speak louder than words," he said.

"He is just an exceptional talent, and I am sure he will set many more records in the future."

Now, with all that's going on and accusations of favoritism flying all around, you'd think that Bernie would watch what he is saying. So, he either doesn't care, or simply doesn't realize what he is saying. I understand what context he said it in, but come ON!!! a little discretion and maybe just a touch neutrality would go a long way, Bernie!

Note I do NOT QUESTION the validity or the lack of thereof of what's being said, but rather Bernie's tone.

Damn, I HATE when I make a typo in the topic title. It should be "Is Bernie..." Can anyone fix it? :blush:

Bernie only controls the commercial side, he is under no obligation to be neutral. Bernie has nothing to do with the governance of the sport.

Bernie only controls the commercial side, he is under no obligation to be neutral. Bernie has nothing to do with the governance of the sport.

I understand. But Like it or not, Bernie still represents F1, regardles which aspect. Oh, BTW, I think from the commercail point of view he iS right. But overall, it leaves a rather strange feeling that F1 is trying to help Hamilton win. I think that in the long run this statemnt will be rather detrimental to F1 - but I may be wrong. :wacko:

Bernie doesn't represent the sport. Bernie has no power to do anything to help Hamilton win. I fail to see what you are trying to say.

Ecclestone hails Hamilton as saviour of F1

"Lewis Hamilton has been a real breath of fresh air and has resurrected Formula One," Britain's Guardian newspaper quoted commercial rights holder Ecclestone, who is not in Shanghai, as saying.

He is going mad in his old age- since when did F1 need resurrecting??? Resurrecting from what? Sure he has been good and consistant but he has been in a really quick and reliable car. Would he have done this much if in a spyker? Would people be gushing over him. Taking nothing away from his achievements..... but come on bernie... catch a wakeup

Check this one out

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ecclestone sets the record straight

Speaking out of turn, as is his MO, Ecclestone says that "the claim that Whiting, Mosley, Andrews, Dennis, Hamilton, and myself are all British is just pure conspiratory talk that has no basis whatsoever".

When Hamilton was asked about his opinion on the latest nationality saga, he told reporters that "I have not yet been told what to say".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

When Hamilton was asked about his opinion on the latest nationality saga, he told reporters that "I have not yet been told what to say".

The only time Lewis Hamilton uses his own brain is when he needs to decide whether to turn the steering wheel left or right.

The only time Lewis Hamilton uses his own brain is when he needs to decide whether to turn the steering wheel left or right.

This would not do any good for alonso one little bit. Basically what bernie has told is, alonso is useless as a WDC and he prefers not to have him as WDC. I think bernie touched on this issue last year as well. Hmm :eusa_think:

well, bernie wants him to b wdc and thats what we're gonna see. we can't escape the power of the dark side...

The only time Lewis Hamilton uses his own brain is when he needs to decide whether to turn the steering wheel left or right. For everything else he gets his instructions from Daddy1 (his father) or Daddy2 (Ron Dennis).

He makes me puke.

You make me puke. I hope all the Hamilton haters choke on their cornflakes tomorrow.

Indeed, I remember 12 months ago sitting here been a "hamilton-hater", he only got it cos he is british/black etc etc.

I started the season favouring Alonso too.

After the whole Alonso cry baby phase though, I've switched to Hamiltons camp, although my respect for the guy has grown hugely as the season has progressed - I think if you ignore the crap they all say (politics suck anyway) and ignore the usual media waffle then you can respect him as a driver more then anything else.

And from a completely random place in my brain, go Webber!

You make me puke. I hope all the Hamilton haters choke on their cornflakes tomorrow.

Good thing i don't eat cornflakes then...., Nah but i prefer Hammy winning to Alonso so...

I liked Alonso better when he was beating Schumacher in a Renault.

Anyway, go Sakon.

You bet.

Fly, Sakon, fly, you sexy beast.

He is going mad in his old age- since when did F1 need resurrecting??? Resurrecting from what? Sure he has been good and consistant but he has been in a really quick and reliable car. Would he have done this much if in a spyker? Would people be gushing over him. Taking nothing away from his achievements..... but come on bernie... catch a wakeup

Yeah, totally agree . IMO give that car to most of the drivers and they would be in the same position.