Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric

The Most Bizarre Day In Nascar

A little random, but:

To this day, I still maintain my belief that the best sound in all of motorsport is 43 stock cars coming out of turn 3 at Pocono to complete lap 1.

And i'll maintain that the sound of 31 V8 Supercars roaring up Mountain Straight at Bathurst on lap 1 is the best sound in all motorsport :D

Oh i wouldnt be so sure of that. It has a very respectable 0-100kph time of about 25 seconds and 100 is about its top speed aswell. The 1.3 Letre engine has done a total of about 370,000 km (or 230,000 miles) and sounds like its trying to go up Mt Everest every time you reach a slight hill :D

Well, at least it's reliable. I assume.

No no no no no no no. It's a herd of D types, GTOs and DB4s going through Vale on a damp track.

No.

And i'll maintain that the sound of 31 V8 Supercars roaring up Mountain Straight at Bathurst on lap 1 is the best sound in all motorsport :D

You present a good argument...

I realize that I should clarify two points:

The "disingenuous" comment was not directed at any member of the forum.

As much as I dislike the entire concept of 'Yota building a pushrod v8, I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those lumps and stuff it into a Mk III Supra... Or a 2000GT ... :drool:

As for sounds ... Just about anything with more than 4 cylinders, more than 2.5l displacement and open exhaust ... preferably in large numbers. Note that the above specifically precludes the current F1 engines ...

JV did ok I read. As a sign of respect for the drivers who couldn't stop bitching about him, he voluntarily moved to the back of the field at the beginning of the race. Can't wait to see how he progresses over the years.

He qualified 6th, but because he is racing to learn and has no stake in the point championship he moved to the back of the field. That earned the praise of many of the veterans, and they said after watching him race today finishing on the lead lap,after starting at the back of the field, they feel they can trust him out there in a tin top.

He qualified 6th, but because he is racing to learn and has no stake in the point championship he moved to the back of the field. That earned the praise of many of the veterans, and they said after watching him race today finishing on the lead lap,after starting at the back of the field, they feel they can trust him out there in a tin top.

Yes .. he did quite well.

It was a fun race to watch!

I never understood the whole "motorsport needs state of the art technology"...

That is not the case apart from GP cars and endurance LMPs.

Personally, I don't think NASCAR needs it. It takes the good ol' boys spirit out of it...although that spirit is already gone. But there's just something fun about stock cars, and with F1 tech, they wouldn't be fun anymore.

It makes the two series unique, and that makes it more fun. There'd be no point for all these series if they were all the same.

The good old boys spirit was gone when they killed the stock cars and replaced them with spec cars, when the got rid of dusty back roads (google "european rallycross" of youtube), dirt ovals and almost eliminated road courses for the sake of the numerous superspeedways.

The "spirit" was to use stock cars with what was available/used back then. In the 30s/40s when (american) stock car racing was born, carburators and OHVs was the norm, now it's (D)OHC and direct injection. It's hardly state of the art, just normal production equipment.