Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Wurz To Stop Racing...

Alex Wurz will stop racing at the end of this season it seems. He may even give it up all together and not even go back to testing.

Wurz to retire from racing at end of season

By Mark GlendenningSunday, October 7th 2007, 04:56 GMT

Alex Wurz has decided to retire from Formula One racing at the end of this season, autosport.com can reveal.

The Austrian made his decision after his podium finish at the Canadian Grand Prix, and autosport.com understands he even considered pulling out immediately and going out on a high note. But he committed himself to completing the season out of respect for the Williams team.

Speculation surrounding the 33-year-old's future had been rife for some time, however sources suggest that Wurz had been advised by Williams he was one of a small number of drivers on the shortlist for a race seat next year.

Other names thought to be under consideration include Adrian Sutil, Nelson Piquet Jr and test driver Kazuki Nakajima, the latter having been described as "Formula One material" by Frank Williams during a press conference earlier this weekend.

While Wurz will not race in F1 after Brazil, it is believed that Williams is keen to retain his services as a test driver.

Wurz told autosport.com that he was unwilling to comment for legal reasons but did not deny any of the above.

What does everyone reckon to that? Personally, I think he had his chance. I hope Sutil lands at Williams, or Nakajima.

Autosport

I think he has grown tired of not being able to compete and being overshadowed by a rookie.. So he will retire...

Best Bet for Williams is Sutil, though i doubt Spyker will leave him...

TBH i don't consider Nakijima very high in talent... He is just a payback for Toyota engines....

Well I heard he has just got another child and may want to spend more time with his family. I think in Fuji he actually missed the birth of his child. So he may be fed up with F1 and want to spend time with his family. I do like Wurz he isnt the sort of driver to set the world ablaze but he was consistant and a nice guy. Im glad he had a podium in Canada and I think now he knows he wont get another. So good luck to him in the future!

It's probably the right thing to do. He would be useful as a test driver but I understand he's had enough of testing...

It's not surprising! 1st full season in 6 years is a hella long time but has been lucky, especially with McLaren when he finished 3rd in the San Marino GP in 2005 in his only race that season!

TBH i don't consider Nakijima very high in talent... He is just a payback for Toyota engines....

I don't consider anyone from GP2 2007 a high talent, BUT...he improved towards the end of the year. Give him another year in GP2 and see what happens.

Anyway, Wurz is a great personality, so he'll be missed, but it's time for him to move on.

I hope that Liuzzi or Sutil get the ride since that American kid...what was his name...Mario Andretti? Phil Hill? Jeff Gordon? Michael Schumacher? Narain Karthikeyan?...is off doing other things.

I don't consider anyone from GP2 2007 a high talent, BUT...he improved towards the end of the year. Give him another year in GP2 and see what happens.

Anyway, Wurz is a great personality, so he'll be missed, but it's time for him to move on.

I hope that Liuzzi or Sutil get the ride since that American kid...what was his name...Mario Andretti? Phil Hill? Jeff Gordon? Michael Schumacher? Narain Karthikeyan?...is off doing other things.

Lets see next year... But i personally don't think he is very good...

Yeah, Luizzi/Vettel should get the ride....

Hmmm Liuzzi is quite possible I hope they dont get Ralf. Dear god no!

I rate Vettel higher than Liuzzi though. The think Rosberg and Sutil could be an interesting pairing. Williams isnt a bad package for someone to showcase their talent, which would be perfect for Sutil.

Never rated him personally. Nice guy, odd shoes. Right decision, right time.

So, he's not even racing in Brazil anymore. Williams announces the second driver for Interlagos tomorrow. I kinda hope it will be Piquet Jr.

I've always like Wurz' driving style...very economical with the occasional kicking out of the back end on exit. A strange mixture of precision and wildness that is very much like his personality (he is a cerebral guy that likes extreme sports). He was very good when he burst onto the F1 scene, but I think his reflexes have blunted with age. That fire in his belly is gone and it's sad to see, but that's the way of it. Mikey the Schu also had this happen to him, but his starting point was so far ahead of everyone else that when he was dulled with age it merely relegated him to the 'top tier' instead of his usual 'league of his own'.

Nakajima is a little erratic, but he's fast and a very entertaining ballsy driver.

Narian is the same....

but realistically it would probably be Narajima.. Though i would like for it to be Narian..

Nah we all know it will be NARIAN.....

He is simply the best choice....

i have same opinion ;)

but may be sir frank will be thinking of long term...

Nakajima is a little erratic, but he's fast and a very entertaining ballsy driver.

I'd expect him to be ballsy, as most men do have testicles/testicals/I forget how to spell from all the years of using "balls" and "nuts"

I'd expect him to be ballsy, as most men do have testicles/testicals/I forget how to spell from all the years of using "balls" and "nuts"

Well I suppose we are both assuming his 'he' status, you can never tell these days. It is testicles, trust me, I know.

Well I suppose we are both assuming his 'he' status, you can never tell these days. It is testicles, trust me, I know.

Testicles is slang, too. The proper medical term is "testes"

And yes, we are assuming he's a he...perhaps you could check next time he comes over for a slumber party...