Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Prodrive/mclaren Deal Collapses

Prodrive-McLaren negotiations collapse

By Jonathan Noble and Biranit GorenTuesday, October 9th 2007, 16:51 GMT

Prodrive's negotiations with McLaren-Mercedes for a partnership in next year's Formula One World Championship have collapsed, autosport.com has learned.

Prodrive have been pursuing a deal with the Woking-based outfit for a supply of customer cars, and just a few weeks ago Prodrive boss David Richards said the only hurdle left to overcome in the negotiations is the new Concorde Agreement.

However, sources have told autosport.com that McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh notified his staff yesterday that the team are no longer pressing ahead with their plans for a partnership with Prodrive.

Neither McLaren nor Prodrive would comment on the matter.

It is not clear yet why the negotiations fell through. Nevertheless, it comes just days after the FIA announced Prodrive will face a Court of Appeal hearing later this month over their entry, following legal questions from rivals Williams.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis said at last weekend's Chinese Grand Prix that the team had not signed a deal with Prodrive, and could not do so without complete clarity over their entry.

"We have not entered into any contract with any team at this moment of time," he said. "If a team wishes to enter the 2008 World Championship and that team does not have complete clarity as to whether it is or is not permitted to enter then it is a matter for that team and certainly not for McLaren."

As recently as the Belgian Grand Prix, Richards revealed that a deal for car and engines had been agreed - although he never named McLaren specifically.

"We are there, but there are lots of issues surrounding the validity of the Concorde Agreement," Richards told autosport.com about the progress with his team.

"It is those sorts of things that leave question marks at the moment, and they need to be resolved. Every other aspect of it is cleared up."

Despite Whitmarsh's statement, Prodrive sources insist that they have not yet completely given up on reviving the McLaren deal.

Should that not be possible, however, then Prodrive may still have opportunities elsewhere - with Renault having been favourites for a supply deal at one point.

In an interview with the Times newspaper in August, Richards said that McLaren were one of three teams that Prodrive were speaking to at the time.

space.gif

Source

erm, thats it basically. What do you people want from me?

Anyone got any thoughts, at all?

More bad news for F.1 in 2007.

I suppose that, Hamilton apart, this season is one to forget for the F.1 world.

Without McLaren Prodrive won't make it to the grid next year.

Not sure is this a good or bad thing, I'm against the idea of customer cars but there's room in the grid for one more team... I'm pretty sure it's too late for them now and Richards is gonna have to wait one more season. -_- Surely the whole project was doubtful from the start.

Rainmaster, you're overstating the importance of this. All it says is that McLaren have not signed an engine deal with Prodrive yet because it's not certain Prodrive will be allowed to race. When that issue is cleared up, McLaren will no doubt sign with Prodrive.

Rainmaster, you're overstating the importance of this. All it says is that McLaren have not signed an engine deal with Prodrive yet because it's not certain Prodrive will be allowed to race. When that issue is cleared up, McLaren will no doubt sign with Prodrive.

eh, Autosport overstate the importence, I merely spread it to our great forum. The thought had occurred to me that this was the case, but then again (after a re-read) Whitmarsh has supposebly said 'the team are no longer pressing ahead...', we shall see.

Here, Andres, you can have your wallet back. All that's in there are a few pesos, an empty condom wrapper and some pictures of Liuzzi.

Here, Andres, you can have your wallet back. All that's in there are a few pesos, an empty condom wrapper and some pictures of Liuzzi.

You know me too well, Mike!

Hmm, the plot thickens. Are Prodrive required to field cars next year regardless or do they have a license to start their team from 2008 onwards? If they can't field cars for next year do they lose their license or just lose one year off their license?

it is not clear if Pro drive will be allowed to race? Maybe so

But can anyone hold their hand on their heart and say that, with all the BS that has been going on, that McLaren will be allowed to race in 2008 ??

Scratch McLaren/Pro drive/ and a few of the lesser teams not able to compete cause of costs etc, seems to me F1 is digging a big hole for itself, just needs someone to Fill it in !!!!

The truth is that there is no more room for privateer constructors in F.1, cause they don't stand a single chance against the carmakers. Customer cars is the only way to fill the grid and help the F1 minnow to save their money. I still don't understand why Spyker is so keen building their own car when they could also buy one (at the beginning it seemed BMW were interested) and enjoy an easier fight against Toro Rosso and Super Aguri. Spyker and Williams are wasting their time in this crusade anyway. Customer cars will be made legal from 2009 onwards if not from 2008.

Further proof of the failure of the "franchise" system.

Bring back "run what ya brung" and the pre-qualifying days!

My goodness Williams must have asked some good questions!!!!

It is not clear yet why the negotiations fell through. Nevertheless, it comes just days after the FIA announced Prodrive will face a Court of Appeal hearing later this month over their entry, following legal questions from rivals Williams.

I wouldn't have a hard time believing that this was an influential aspect toward the decision.

It says Prodrive is talking to 3 teams...

One is Mclaren, the Second, my guess would be Ferrari and third maybe Bmw or Reno....

It is definatly not Williams, and Honda and Red Bull allready have their second team...

And no one wants a spyker or a toyota car so....

Who do you think they are talking to?

they have to be allowed to race, no doubt about it. bernie has to take his big dogs out on this one and sit on a few superegos to make them see the benefit of prodrive racing.

anyone think prodrive should not be in? i'd like to hear the reasons.

I would repeat my "No" to any team that wants to take part in Constructors Championship but can't actually build a car.

(wrrr... typo again)

My goodness Williams must have asked some good questions!!!!

I asked some question about the prodrive -macca saga, macca splitting on Mercs and Prodrive and all of this stuff and rumours to some of the Williams crew last friday -by the way have I told you i was at the Williams pit las friday?- :mf_tongue: and they told it looks very unlikely since williams will put a veto on everything prodrive

Prodrive would have to race I beleive? Didnt Red Bull by Jaguar for a really small some as the terms of the concorde agreement (which are secret) stated they would be heavily penalised if they did not field a team? I think Prodrive would be fined considerable amounts of money, in fact the bond they paid (is it $50 million?) which is repayed over the first 2 seasons to the team would surely be lost.

they have to be allowed to race, no doubt about it. bernie has to take his big dogs out on this one and sit on a few superegos to make them see the benefit of prodrive racing.

Prodrive should NOT be in simply because DR is the head. ANYTHING that ruins a Dave Richards project is good by me!!

That is a pretty sound reason in my books!

Prodrive would have to race I beleive? Didnt Red Bull by Jaguar for a really small some as the terms of the concorde agreement (which are secret) stated they would be heavily penalised if they did not field a team? I think Prodrive would be fined considerable amounts of money, in fact the bond they paid (is it $50 million?) which is repayed over the first 2 seasons to the team would surely be lost.

well you'll think that they will cop heavy fines and then banned from the championship like the Arrows team back in 2002 when they went bankerupt but they they turned up on the race weekends on purpose trying not to qualify there cars so they can avoid the fines.

Toyota had to plummit something like 12 million back at the start of the 2001 season because they wernt ready.