Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yurp

Complicated Question

Okay - IF in Brazil...

Kimi gets 1st (10pts)

Alonso gets 2nd (8pts)

Hamilton gets 5th (4pts)

Their season totals would be...

Kimi 110pts

Alonso 111pts

Hamilton 111pts

So Kimi would sadly be out of it :(

But I have read that then the F1 folks would look at race wins to decide between Alonso and Hamilton.

Thing is they both have the following sets of placings during this season...

Wins - 4 each

2nd places - 5 each (if Alonso gets the 2nd in Brazil)

3rd places - 3 each

4th places - 1 each

5th places - Hamilton 2 (if he gets 5th in Brazil), Alonso 1

Would I be correct in thinking that Hamilton would then take the championship on 5th place results!

It seems crazy!

That's the end of the question to which I would appreciate an answer. Am I right or not?

For further interest...

If Kimi ends up on equal points then he takes the championship, since he has bagged 5 race wins already - so good news for him, although getting to a position where he manages to get equal on points with either Hamilton or Alonso will be tricky...

Kimi 1st (110), Alonso 3rd (109), Hamilton 6th (110) - Kimi wins with 6 race wins over Hamilton's 4

Kimi 2nd (108), Alonso 4th (108), Hamilton 8th (108) - Kimi wins with 5 race wins over A's and H's 4 each

Now wouldn't that last result be fun to see!

Kimi 2nd (108), Alonso 4th (108), Hamilton 8th (108) - Kimi wins with 5 race wins over A's and H's 4 each

This would be a great scenario with massa winning his home race again.

I do think your logic is correct though regarding who would be crowned champion if points are tied

I do think your logic is correct though regarding who would be crowned champion if points are tied
It's true. Hamilton would take it on 5th place results.

Thanks for the answers guys - championship decided on 5th place results - that would be a first surely!

Would love to see it!

If it were Massa in P1 though, he would defer to Kimi, since if Hamilton went up to P7 Kimi could loose it. If Massa pulled over for Kimi, than Hamilton would need to get P5. If Massa refused to pull over for Kimi, then Hamilton would just need to get up to P7 to beat him. It's a statisticians wet dream!

Would I be correct in thinking that Hamilton would then take the championship on 5th place results!

It seems crazy!

I know everyone hates Hamilton because he's too bloody good and has received some unrequested assistance from the stewards (but it was not his fault). But guys please don't be silly. Rules are rules. If Hamilton wins on a 5th place then it will be a fully deserved title because rules allow him to do so. And NOT only him. And anyway Lewis has done such a brilliant job this season that he deserves the title much more than his rivals anyway, even if I feel he'll lose it.

It seems crazy!

I know everyone hates Hamilton because he's too bloody good and has received some unrequested assistance from the stewards (but it was not his fault). But guys please don't be silly. Rules are rules. If Hamilton wins on a 5th place then it will be a fully deserved title because rules allow him to do so. And NOT only him. And anyway Lewis has done such a brilliant job this season that he deserves the title much more than his rivals anyway, even if I feel he'll lose it.

Okay - IF in Brazil...

Kimi gets 1st (10pts)

Alonso gets 2nd (8pts)

Hamilton gets 5th (4pts)

Kimi 110pts

Alonso 111pts

Hamilton 111pts

But I have read that then the F1 folks would look at race wins to decide between Alonso and Hamilton.

Wins - 4 each

3rd places - 3 each

4th places - 1 each

It seems crazy!

That's the end of the question to which I would appreciate an answer. Am I right or not?

For further interest...

If Kimi ends up on equal points then he takes the championship, since he has bagged 5 race wins already - so good news for him, although getting to a position where he manages to get equal on points with either Hamilton or Alonso will be tricky...

Kimi 1st (110), Alonso 3rd (109), Hamilton 6th (110) - Kimi wins with 6 race wins over Hamilton's 4

Regading the Lewis/Nando conundrum - would it actually come down to 5th place results or would it be decided on who got their victories first? I don't why that thought popped in my head, but I could just be making it up! :lol:

and whose fault was it then??? :eusa_think:

I am not disputing whether he deserves it or not , just commenting that it would make it more interesting and i would prefer kimi to take it anyway (so i am a bit biased) :naughty::naughty:

Regading the Lewis/Nando conundrum - would it actually come down to 5th place results or would it be decided on who got their victories first? I don't why that thought popped in my head, but I could just be making it up! :lol:

Don't think so because if they were both tied on firsts then it would go to most seconds... think it would just follow on from then until one had more than the other

Okay - IF in Brazil...

Kimi gets 1st (10pts)

Alonso gets 2nd (8pts)

Hamilton gets 5th (4pts)

Kimi 110pts

Alonso 111pts

Hamilton 111pts

Wins - 4 each

3rd places - 3 each

4th places - 1 each

It seems crazy!

For further interest...

Great question..... but it makes my head hurt :wacko:

Thanks for the answers guys - championship decided on 5th place results - that would be a first surely!

Would love to see it!

If it were Massa in P1 though, he would defer to Kimi, since if Hamilton went up to P7 Kimi could loose it. If Massa pulled over for Kimi, than Hamilton would need to get P5. If Massa refused to pull over for Kimi, then Hamilton would just need to get up to P7 to beat him. It's a statisticians wet dream!

Its a wet dream?

aren't you a primary school teacher?

Don't think so because if they were both tied on firsts then it would go to most seconds... think it would just follow on from then until one had more than the other

Yep, you are right and I did just make it up! :lol:

Here is the official rule -

7.2 If two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, the higher place in the Championship (in either case) shall be awarded to :

a ) the holder of the greatest number of first places,

b ) if the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of second places,

c ) if the number of second places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges.

d ) if this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.

Not sure what 'so on' means exactly, but presumably down to the number of 8th places?

I'm looking up so many rules lately, I am getting a bit worried about myself!

So?

Good post Adamstag and welcome! (Paul I think it goes on countback, rather than who won first.)

:lol: Damn you Paul, sneaking in there.....

So?

Good post Adamstag and welcome! (Paul I think it goes on countback, rather than who won first.)

:lol: Damn you Paul, sneaking in there.....

Yep, posted while you were posting, Sir.

Edit: Damn you sneaking in on my sneaking in! :lol:

I don't think he was insulting Hamilton, just saying it would be a bit weird if someone won on fifth places, although fully deserved.

Okay - IF in Brazil...

Kimi gets 1st (10pts)

Alonso gets 2nd (8pts)

Hamilton gets 5th (4pts)

Kimi 110pts

Alonso 111pts

Hamilton 111pts

Wins - 4 each

3rd places - 3 each

4th places - 1 each

It seems crazy!

That's right Hamilton would win over 5th place results.

May be strange, but these are the rules...

Christiano, I dont hate Hamilton. I rather think he's a good driver. He's pretty good with the media, too. Don't lump us all together.

Michael took the title in '03 with an eighth in Suzuka. (typoo....damn it!)

i think lewis is just going to take 1st place from pole and get the champshp and give all our complicated scenarios a fullstop.....

Its a wet dream?

aren't you a primary school teacher?

Naughty you - quoting out of context. I actually wrote "It's a statistician's wet dream".

Fortunately I'm not a statistician - hence the question and distinct lack of body fluids on my bedsheets this morning.

Now to bring this up to somewhere near adult conversation level ;) ...

7.2 If two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, the higher place in the Championship (in either case) shall be awarded to :

b ) if the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of second places,

c ) if the number of second places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges.

d ) if this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.

Someone with an eye on the rule book - it's definative. Cheers.

I don't think he was insulting Hamilton, just saying it would be a bit weird if someone won on fifth places, although fully deserved.

Exactly. I think @cristiano84 took offence at my comment that it would be crazy for H to win on 5th place positions, but I would say exactly the same if it were K or A too - just crazy that it would come down to 5th places that's all.

EDIT -

chennaiguy - I think you're right (no complicated scenarios), but I think Kimi will win. With A and H in 2nd and 3rd myself.

Yep, you are right and I did just make it up! :lol:

Here is the official rule -

Not sure what 'so on' means exactly, but presumably down to the number of 8th places?

I'm looking up so many rules lately, I am getting a bit worried about myself!

i presume it would go rite down to retirements aswell that include 9th, 10th etc etc as it says so on....with the FIA decision? how or what will they decide? lol...i mean put the name in a hat and pulll one out!! lol what do u guys think?

I kno Adam, top response :laughing:

EDIT -

chennaiguy - I think you're right (no complicated scenarios), but I think Kimi will win. With A and H in 2nd and 3rd myself.

adamstrags: till 21st i think totalf1 forum will be loaded with lots of permutations and combos...this topic of who will win will be discussed again and again in various headings....and then the nail biting sunday will come in brazil...

hmmm lets take it sportively...all 3 kimi, alonso and hamilton proved they can be front runners(even massa did)....its just these guys have gr8 cars and too little choice for us...

so all 3 are optimistic and we have to wait and see

whos gonna crack the pressure...(lewis)

or whos gonna have luck...(alonso)

or whos gonna have bumper offer... (kimi)

and win the title...

anyone wins we shud happy that the title is kept alive till the last race..unlike schumi days where its just seeing schumi take pole,win race,take pole win race,take pole win race........win race by huge margin ...some seasons it was just other teams fighting for second place while schumi 1st and rubens 2nd is already decided by seeing the performance of ferrrari...