Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric

Hahahahah

World Speed Record Set in Dodge Charger: Russ Wicks, who holds World Speed Records of more than 200 miles per hour on both land and water, has set a stock car world record of 244.9 miles per hour, which has been confirmed by Guinness World Records. Wick successfully achieved the record on Tuesday, October 9 at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Northwestern Utah while driving a 2007 Dodge Charger built to NASCAR specifications. The new mark shatters Wicks

It may be pointless, but it's fun. :P

:lol: Yeah! That's why I bash F1. No good reason, it's just nice happy childish fun!

Question of the day:

How does an 800-hp, 3600-lb stock car run times almost as fast as an 800-hp, 1200-lb F1 car? That does not make sense to me.

BUT OUR STOCK CARS ARE BETTER ANYWAY! THEY DEFY THE LAWS OF POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIOS! THEY'RE MAGICAL! LIKE UNICORNS! AND UNICORNS ARE RAD!

Okay. I'm good. But please, still answer my question.

Question of the day:

How does an 800-hp, 3600-lb stock car run times almost as fast as an 800-hp, 1200-lb F1 car? That does not make sense to me.

BUT OUR STOCK CARS ARE BETTER ANYWAY! THEY DEFY THE LAWS OF POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIOS! THEY'RE MAGICAL! LIKE UNICORNS! AND UNICORNS ARE RAD!

My guess would be they tweaked the Nascar engine so it would produce more than 800 horsepower. Still would be legal in Nascar but the engine wouldnt last race distance so nobody would do it. Its easy to modify a engine to produce alot more power if the engine only has to do afew miles.

My guess would be they tweaked the Nascar engine so it would produce more than 800 horsepower. Still would be legal in Nascar but the engine wouldnt last race distance so nobody would do it. Its easy to modify a engine to produce alot more power if the engine only has to do afew miles.

No, not the case, actually...

At Talladega and Daytona (2.66 and 2.5 mile ovals), they run restrictor plates to limit the hp to around 450. However, Rusty Wallace tested at one of those tracks without the restrictor plate using a legal 800hp engine and did a lap with an average of 235 hp.

Also, to tweak, the engine would need to produce 2400 hp to have an equal power:weight ratio as an F1 car, and that'd be impossible to do.

No, not the case, actually...

At Talladega and Daytona (2.66 and 2.5 mile ovals), they run restrictor plates to limit the hp to around 450. However, Rusty Wallace tested at one of those tracks without the restrictor plate using a legal 800hp engine and did a lap with an average of 235 hp.

Also, to tweak, the engine would need to produce 2400 hp to have an equal power:weight ratio as an F1 car, and that'd be impossible to do.

:eusa_think: AAH! Then someone forgot to change it to Kmph from Mph on his speedometer! :eusa_think:

:eusa_think: AAH! Then someone forgot to change it to Kmph from Mph on his speedometer! :eusa_think:

You wish.

Stock cars don't have speedometers, sorry...

And we're American, we don't do kmph.

Question of the day:

I don't know. Here is my attempt at an answer (it's another question).

Is it because the power to weight ratio doesn't really affect the top speed, just other aspects of performance? How long did each car take to to reach these top speeds?

Maybe DOF can clear it up.

You wish.

That's because they suck! :P

IIRC, Bonneville cars have a certain distance to build up speed before the start line ... But, as rainmaster said, power-to-weight doesn't affect top speed, it affects handling and acceleration ... Top speed is all about gearing and RPM, and having enough torque to maintain that ...

It's still pretty impressive, however ...

I don't know. Here is my attempt at an answer (it's another question).

Is it because the power to weight ratio doesn't really affect the top speed, just other aspects of performance? How long did each car take to to reach these top speeds?

Maybe DOF can clear it up.

Yeah, I do know that an F1 car would be faster on a closed circuit because it can corner faster because it is lighter, and therefore it can accelerate faster as carrying more speeds out of the corner equates to more speed down the straights...

That's because they suck! :P

No, it's because our driver's are so ballsy they don't need no nothing tellin' them what they is doin cuz they dont give no Sh#t cuz they just wanna go fast.

No, that didn't make sense.

But your maternal instinct Gay Parade drivers need to know just how fast they are going to comply with speed limits and personal limits or else they will cry :P

IIRC, Bonneville cars have a certain distance to build up speed before the start line ... But, as rainmaster said, power-to-weight doesn't affect top speed, it affects handling and acceleration ... Top speed is all about gearing and RPM, and having enough torque to maintain that ...

I don't think they'd give them more time to a certain class over another, though...

And yeah, but RPM...19,000 RPM in an F1 car, 10,000 in a stock car...?

You wish.

Bah! <_<

Indian drivers are more ballsy than anyone else, because here they drive like that to keep their family alive.

Yeah, I do know that an F1 car would be faster on a closed circuit because it can corner faster because it is lighter, and therefore it can accelerate faster as carrying more speeds out of the corner equates to more speed down the straights...

No, it's because our driver's are so ballsy they don't need no nothing tellin' them what they is doin cuz they dont give no Sh#t cuz they just wanna go fast.

No, that didn't make sense.

But your maternal instinct Gay Parade drivers need to know just how fast they are going to comply with speed limits and personal limits or else they will cry :P

I don't think they'd give them more time to a certain class over another, though...

And yeah, but RPM...19,000 RPM in an F1 car, 10,000 in a stock car...?

:lol:

Or be sick like Webber!

Yup good explanation thanks! F1 cars aren't designed to go 240mph in any case. The rules are so tight that they will give up any advantage in performance in that regime (which is totally irrelevant to F1!) in favour of better performance at lower speeds (ones that they will actually reach in races!).

Mind you, given that they are designed with ovals in mind, as I understand the wheels are cambered, so it must have done one great big doughnut!!! At least the F1 car would keep going in straight line :)

And why, can you tell me do they paint headlamps on them???

Actually I watched the odd Nascar race and they are OK, the commentators were annoying though....

Yup good explanation thanks! F1 cars aren't designed to go 240mph in any case. The rules are so tight that they will give up any advantage in performance in that regime (which is totally irrelevant to F1!) in favour of better performance at lower speeds (ones that they will actually reach in races!).

Well, a NASCAR stock car COULD go 240mph in a race...if NASCAR let them run the real car at Dega they'd go 240mph, but cuz NASCAR restricts the engine for safety, they only go up to 210...

Mind you, given that they are designed with ovals in mind, as I understand the wheels are cambered, so it must have done one great big doughnut!!! At least the F1 car would keep going in straight line :)

And why, can you tell me do they paint headlamps on them???

Actually I watched the odd Nascar race and they are OK, the commentators were annoying though....

:lol:

I actually quite like the tendancy to go to the left on the straights and not wanna turn...makes it harder to drive and more demanding on the drivers...always been a fan of making it hard on the drivers.

They aren't "painted"...they are decals. So why are they decals and not real? My guess is it's less expensive to have decals than it is to put on real working headlights. Also, I'd imagine it's a little lighter? And, there's no real point to having real headlights since they'd never be used.

Today's NASCAR, you can catch a rare good one and now and then. Older NASCAR (as recent as 2003, actually) was usually superb, saw the 90s and early 2000s and I loved it. Now it's much more tedious...too long, too many cautions, not enough action, etc. And the commentators...there was a time when the commentators were great...how many old NASCAR watchers miss CBS or the old ESPN/ABC? I know I do. Now, the commentators act like they are the show and not the race, and it makes for really Sh#tty TV.

Easy answer, too much drag on the F1 cars. Even without gremlins the profile of an F1 generates downforce witch also implies drag penalty.

The older IRLs have reached over 260 mph BTW.

And is that a COT car (witch has extra drag, less downforce and less gripy tires) ?!

And if it was build to specifications it would have had a restrictor plate.

Easy answer, too much drag on the F1 cars. Even without gremlins the profile of an F1 generates downforce witch also implies drag penalty.

The older IRLs have reached over 260 mph BTW.

And is that a COT car (witch has extra drag, less downforce and less gripy tires) ?!

And if it was build to specifications it would have had a restrictor plate.

Yes, the Renske did 260 at Indy, IIRC, and one of the Renske's did a lap in excess of 250 mph at California in the late 90s, I believe. (Renske is a Reynard-Penske for those of you who never watched CART)

And I'm not sure if it was a COT or not.

Yes, the Renske did 260 at Indy, IIRC, and one of the Renske's did a lap in excess of 250 mph at California in the late 90s, I believe. (Renske is a Reynard-Penske for those of you who never watched CART)

And I'm not sure if it was a COT or not.

What you're thinking of was Cristiano DaMatta in practice running his Newman/Haas around Fontana at 242mph. I don't remember the year (2000 or so) or the speed (242 sounds right).

What you're thinking of was Cristiano DaMatta in practice running his Newman/Haas around Fontana at 242mph. I don't remember the year (2000 or so) or the speed (242 sounds right).

No, it was definately Gil de Ferran at Fontana in a Renske. Doing 240+ or 250+, I forget, and it was in qualifying. And I recall a Renske doing 260 at Indy with an illegal engine.

And DOF, it wasn't a COT, it said a 2007 Dodge Charger, and the COT is a Dodge Avenger...just noticed that.