Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

The Young Ones...

I was just thinking about the quality of the drivers in the field in F1 at the moment, and how people often talk of the 'golden era' of Formula One. That era, the 80's (if that is your golden era), saw many a top talent in Grand Prix racing - we had, Mansell, Piquet Snr, Prost, Lauda, Rosberg Snr and of course the magic Senna. I believe we have similar levels of talent around these days, we've got Alonso (a Prost type fellow), Hamilton (more of a Senna), Kimi (Mansell esque), Rosberg Jnr, Heikki, Massa (master of the lights to flag victory), Sutil (rising talent), Kubica (poland's great hope) and Vettel (the very young one). A great talent pool in my opinion.

Then we've got the guys who are waiting in the wings, like Buemi, Hulkenberg, Grosjean, Asmer, Piquet Jnr, Glock, B.Senna (more than just a name) and many others. Quite a few up & coming talents which bodes well for the future of our (once) glorious sport, it can only be a good thing.

My only wish is that these various drivers had more of an opportunity to show their skills, instead of just putting in consistant fast laps, it would be nice to see some cars sliding through corners and some super ballsy overtaking manoeuvres (yes there have been some, I want more). I feel if the cars were capable of these things we would witness some great great things, like in the 80's. I do realise there is some great racing in the midfield, I would like some of that up front as well though.

I didn't put a poll in as I don't want this to become another Alonso Vs. Hamilton bashing thread, this thread is about quality, not equality.

Anybody agree? Do you reckon there's great talent in F1 at present, or are they all whining b!tches?

First disclaimer: I'm not making any direct comparisons in terms of driving or who is better or as good as, so no idiot can say 'you think Lewis is as good as Senna' - because I don't, at all.

Second disclaimer: I know there are other good drivers in F1 (Heidfeld, Button, Webber etc), I'm only talking about the drivers who are coming up.

I was just thinking about the quality of the drivers in the field in F1 at the moment, and how people often talk of the 'golden era' of Formula One. That era, the 80's (if that is your golden era), saw many a top talent in Grand Prix racing - we had, Mansell, Piquet Snr, Prost, Lauda, Rosberg Snr and of course the magic Senna. I believe we have similar levels of talent around these days, we've got Alonso (a Prost type fellow), Hamilton (more of a Senna), Kimi (Mansell esque), Rosberg Jnr, Heikki, Massa (master of the lights to flag victory), Sutil (rising talent), Kubica (poland's great hope) and Vettel (the very young one). A great talent pool in my opinion.

Then we've got the guys who are waiting in the wings, like Buemi, Hulkenberg, Grosjean, Asmer, Piquet Jnr, Glock, B.Senna (more than just a name) and many others. Quite a few up & coming talents which bodes well for the future of our (once) glorious sport, it can only be a good thing.

My only wish is that these various drivers had more of an opportunity to show their skills, instead of just putting in consistant fast laps, it would be nice to see some cars sliding through corners and some super ballsy overtaking manoeuvres (yes there have been some, I want more). I feel if the cars were capable of these things we would witness some great great things, like in the 80's. I do realise there is some great racing in the midfield, I would like some of that up front as well though.

I didn't put a poll in as I don't want this to become another Alonso Vs. Hamilton bashing thread, this thread is about quality, not equality.

Anybody agree? Do you reckon there's great talent in F1 at present, or are they all whining b!tches?

First disclaimer: I'm not making any direct comparisons in terms of driving or who is better or as good as, so no idiot can say 'you think Lewis is as good as Senna' - because I don't, at all.

Second disclaimer: I know there are other good drivers in F1 (Heidfeld, Button, Webber etc), I'm only talking about the drivers who are coming up.

In my arrogant opinion, we have indeed one of the best pools of rising talents since a long time ago. Hope they can survive the crushing machine of teams business and FIA's micromanagement.

Now, just to show you how good I am at reading other people's posts: who the hell told you that Lewis is like Senna????? BLASPHEMY!!! He is nothing like Ayrton because... :blahblah1:

I agree and do believe that most drivers today are at a professional level that would seem extraordinary back in those days! Back then the driver who would slide his car in the "ballsiest" way would be considered god, but nowadays no driver is supposed to slide because that would mean he loses time on the track and probably would be shown the door if he tried to pull dangerous stunts. The right way to drive has been more or less "determined" throughout the years and I guess thats the reason very few drivers get to stand out these days and not by much!

I agree with you nobody can outperform his era! Required drivers skills are very diferent now than was in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. So nowbody can ask nando to change gears as fast as Tom Pryce did it! Because he doesn

Earl Lee Smith, Bubba Lee Jones, Leroy Earl Wallace, III (really the tenth, but his parents can't count that high), and Moonshine Dan are all the boys I look forward to seein' in F1 next year.

Actually, Bruno Senna sucks.

I look forward to:

Natacha Gachnang (we need a girl in F1...she's managed by Willi Webber and was P4 in her first ever A1 rookie practice...gunna run Champ Car Atlantic next year...I think she's Buemi's cousin)

Javier Villa (I just want to see a racecar in Asturias colors...or in Repsol orange black and white...and if neither can happen, I don't care what happens to him)

S

I agree with you.

We have Alonso (and Barichello while he drove the red car), Massa, Kubica and Sato who can be seen sliding and wresteling in an F1 car with all sort of driver Aid, sliding. Just as Tifossi too claims, they would lose time if they kept doing it, and tyres wont last long. We have Kimi and Hamilton pulling Awesome overtaking. I think I am enjoying the race more than reading what the press have to say. This season's races and drivers are the best I have seen so far from the time I started watching F1. Unlike few seasons back, I don't keep alarm at the start of a race, and wake up 1 1/2 hrs later just to see the finish knowing who was going to win anyway. Don't forget the Japanese grandprix, where we got to see wheel to wheel action between Massa and Kubica.

If Senna or even Mika came back to drive todays F1 car, I am sure they will be a tortoise, so would the current drivers if they are asked to drive the old cars. We all got to see a certain worldchampion who came back to F1 nearly one year later and found it difficult to match his inexperienced team mate.

In f1 i would love to see the same sort of action that is displayed in motoGP. Such close racing and so much overtaking, and the win often decided on the very last lap.

I agree with you.

We have Alonso (and Barichello while he drove the red car), Massa, Kubica and Sato who can be seen sliding and wresteling in an F1 car with all sort of driver Aid, sliding. Just as Tifossi too claims, they would lose time if they kept doing it, and tyres wont last long. We have Kimi and Hamilton pulling Awesome overtaking. I think I am enjoying the race more than reading what the press have to say. This season's races and drivers are the best I have seen so far from the time I started watching F1. Unlike few seasons back, I don't keep alarm at the start of a race, and wake up 1 1/2 hrs later just to see the finish knowing who was going to win anyway. Don't forget the Japanese grandprix, where we got to see wheel to wheel action between Massa and Kubica.

If Senna or even Mika came back to drive todays F1 car, I am sure they will be a tortoise, so would the current drivers if they are asked to drive the old cars. We all got to see a certain worldchampion who came back to F1 nearly one year later and found it difficult to match his inexperienced team mate.

The bits in bold are completely false :P

I agree with the fact this is one of the best line-ups we've had, but also, I don't like Lewis vs. Senna comparison.

Actually, Bruno Senna sucks.

Well bollocks to you you absolute b#####d, how f*cking dare you insult Bruno Senna. Joke. I think he's not too bad, he showed some of his family genes when he won a couple of wet races in British F3, did I say won? I meant dominated. The talent is there, so, err, beware.

I agree with you.

I agree with you but I think if Senna or Mika came back today (at their best), then I think they would still be competitive, whereas if one of today's drivers went back - there's perhaps less chance they'd be competitive, or it'd be harder for them to adjust.

I agree with the fact this is one of the best line-ups we've had, but also, I don't like Lewis vs. Senna comparison.

:) *if that was a joke*

Yeah I think there's lots of good talent in F1 atm. I think it's a shame you count out JB and NH though! It's true they've been around for a little longer than the others you mention, but they both contribute to our current talent pool. :P

As always, the problem is that only 2 or 3 of these guys at a time will have competitive cars, so we'll never get to see them all go head to head.

In f1 i would love to see the same sort of action that is displayed in motoGP. Such close racing and so much overtaking, and the win often decided on the very last lap.

I don't agree on that.I think that there shouldn't be so many overtakings as in MotoGP.

What makes F1 special are strategies,so they must be important for the race result.I'd like to see a bit more of on-track action,but not to the extreme of MotoGP,where two drivers can overtake each other several times at the same lap.

I agree with you but I think if Senna or Mika came back today (at their best), then I think they would still be competitive, whereas if one of today's drivers went back - there's perhaps less chance they'd be competitive, or it'd be harder for them to adjust.

They would be competitive, but they wont even be able to beat a guy like me! <_<

I wanna see James Hunt's nephew, Mike Hunt get into a car.

arf.

I don't agree on that.I think that there shouldn't be so many overtakings as in MotoGP.

What makes F1 special are strategies,so they must be important for the race result.I'd like to see a bit more of on-track action,but not to the extreme of MotoGP,where two drivers can overtake each other several times at the same lap.

yeah you do have a good point. I guess it would always be harder to overtake in a car anyway. On the bikes they have so much space to get past, unlike the f1 cars. Basically I would just prefer that it wasn't so hard for cars to follow each other closely like it is nowadays

Hamilton like Senna??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hamilton like Senna??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pah. Yes, Hamilton does like Senna.

I wish people wouldn't compare those two. Senna was a dirty cheater, not to mention a manipulative, violent, lying thug - and all that even though his debut season was relatively pedestrian. FFS stop comparing these two and insulting Hamilton, boy-wonder incarnate.

I wish people wouldn't compare those two. Senna was a dirty cheater, not to mention a manipulative, violent, lying thug - and all that even though his debut season was relatively pedestrian. FFS stop comparing these two and insulting Hamilton, boy-wonder incarnate.

I should burn you to the stake for dissing Ayrton, luckily for you I've lost my matches.

Anyhoo, I'm not comparing them in any particular way, just saying that - Hamilton is the one who comes into the team and takes on a two time champ, which is what Senna did, in different circumstances. I would say the similarities end there really, although in my opinion it's more of a disservice to Senna than Lewis to compare them, in terms of anything really. But this is all off-topic anyway!

I should burn you to the stake for dissing Ayrton, luckily for you I've lost my matches.

Anyhoo, I'm not comparing them in any particular way, just saying that - Hamilton is the one who comes into the team and takes on a two time champ, which is what Senna did, in different circumstances. I would say the similarities end there really, although in my opinion it's more of a disservice to Senna than Lewis to compare them, in terms of anything really. But this is all off-topic anyway!

No no no!!! Stop comparing Lewis and Senna!!

By the way, the title of this thread is wrong. It should be called Lewis vs Senna.

(This is just an experiment. I want to see how much it takes to make a Brit lose his temper)

What about the Old Ones?

I want to see Alan Jones get into an F1 car. Not drive it, just get into it.