Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mock

Scoring System

Why is there a scoring system where it is tehnically possible never to win a race and still be world champion ? Isn't consistency already measured in the constructors title? Someone help me out here....

Yep the scoring system isn't the best. I guess the only thing that can be said is that its the same for everyone, but i still don't agree with it. The following is something i wrote in another topic last week and it certainly shows how stupid the current system is:

For example, say there are 2 drivers and after 10 races one of them has won 8 and retired from 2 and the other driver has come second in all 10 races then they will be equal on points. I know thats where your consistency argument comes in but it doesn't seem right that someone with 8 wins compared to someone with 0 wins could be equal on points

What scoring system would you suggest instead?

I have taken the liberty of assessing how the standings would look using the other 4 scoring systems which have been used in the WDC over the years.

Last one - 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

Hamilton 87 pts

Raikkonen 83 pts

Alonso 81 pts

Massa 66 pts

The one before that - 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

Hamilton 83pts

Raikkonen 78pts

Alonso 77pts

Massa 63pts

The one before that - best 12 results 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

Hamilton 78pts

Raikkonen 76pts

Alonso 75pts

Massa 62pts

The one before that - best 12 results 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, - 1 pt for fastest lap

Hamilton 76pts

Raikkonen 76pts

Alonso 78pts

Massa 64pts

To sum up - in order to get any result other than Hamilton winning, you have to go back to a scoring system last used in the early 1960's. The 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 probably gives the best balance on rewarding wins.

I don't think neither myself nor mock were complaining about the current situation of the championships standings. This year the current points scoring system hasn't been too much of a problem because the top 3 drivers have all had very similar results. I think we were merely pointing out the fact that the current system has the possibility of being unfair in certain scenarios, just like the situation i outlined in my post. using that scenario both drivers would be on 80 points, but using the old system it would be 80 points for one driver and 60 points for the other, which to me seems much more fair. So as I said, its only in certain situations that the current system doesn't seem to work

Fair enough regards this years championship, but without a situation where wins are the only points that count (or the difference is so vast they might as well be), avoidance of it being technically possible to win the WDC without a race is pretty much impossible. Keke Rosberg springs to mind as an example of how the old scoring system also rewarded consistency (and penalised inconsistency).

To take mock's example - let's say we apply the old 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring system - the chap with 8 wins takes the title. But let's imagine that the following year, he and a 3rd driver "X" both score 5 wins, 2x 3rds and DNF 3 times. Our perennial bridesmaid (20 races in a row, fk me!!! :naughty: ) suddenly becomes the bride with 2 more points. To get around that, you would need to increase the points for a win to 12.

But then the next year, driver "A" scores 4 wins 2 3rds and a 4th, driver "X" scores 3 and new driver "Y" scores 3. Perennial bridesmaid continues his phenomenal run of 2nd places and now we need to increase the points for a win to............

Personally I'd go for 10, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. :eusa_think: Maybe.

Fair enough regards this years championship, but without a situation where wins are the only points that count (or the difference is so vast they might as well be), avoidance of it being technically possible to win the WDC without a race is pretty much impossible. Keke Rosberg springs to mind as an example of how the old scoring system also rewarded consistency (and penalised inconsistency).

To take mock's example - let's say we apply the old 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring system - the chap with 8 wins takes the title. But let's imagine that the following year, he and a 3rd driver "X" both score 5 wins, 2x 3rds and DNF 3 times. Our perennial bridesmaid (20 races in a row, fk me!!! :naughty: ) suddenly becomes the bride with 2 more points. To get around that, you would need to increase the points for a win to 12.

But then the next year, driver "A" scores 4 wins 2 3rds and a 4th, driver "X" scores 3 and new driver "Y" scores 3. Perennial bridesmaid continues his phenomenal run of 2nd places and now we need to increase the points for a win to............

Personally I'd go for 10, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. :eusa_think: Maybe.

Sorry but reading through that I got a bit lost with all the X's and numbers haha. but I do kinda see where you're coming from. Also I think the scenario was my example, not Mock's, but thats no biggy :D

Anyway you mentioned 12 points for a win somewhere, and I have thought in the past that would be a good solution. Just keep everything else as it is because I think its good that drivers are rewarded down to 8th, and just increase the win to 12 points. My main problem with the current system is just that wins aren't rewarded as much as they should be. Also your final solution seems plausible too, but not so sure about just 1 point difference from 2nd to 3rd

Yes, the scoring system could be improved. A win should be worth 1.5 times a second place, not 1.25 as it is now. But the points should also go down further than sixth. I think a 12, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 system would be a good compromise.

12 points from victory sounds good to me. Or then 10-7-5-3-2-1. I believe that most of us prefer the points for top 8 system...

Yes, the scoring system could be improved. A win should be worth 1.5 times a second place, not 1.25 as it is now. But the points should also go down further than sixth. I think a 12, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 system would be a good compromise.

Agreed. And I'd add a fastest lap point,too.

I like the MotoGp points system:

1 = 25

2 = 20

3 = 16

4 = 13

5 = 11

6 = 10

7 = 9

8 = 8

9 = 7

10 = 6

11 = 5

12 = 4

13 = 3

14 = 2

15 = 1

I'm not sure if it's the best points system for F1 but I think it's a good system. Giving points to 15th place gives teams Like SAF1 - Spyker - STR (Honda & Toyota :unsure: ) a chance to also jockey for Championship position.

Interesting thought,Aussie. It's true,it's quite sad to see 2 or 3 teams with only a couple of points at the end of the season.

Interesting thought,Aussie. It's true,it's quite sad to see 2 or 3 teams with only a couple of points at the end of the season.

Unless its Honda, then its funny. It's not a bad suggestion, but F1 can never be the same (in any way) as MotoGP, its called Bernie's rule.

1: 1

2: 2

3: 3

4: 4

5: 5

6: 6

7: 7

8: 8

9: 9

10: 10

11: 11

12: 12

13: 13

14: 14

15: 15

16: 16

17: 17

18: 18

19: 19

20: 20

21: 21

22: 22

23: 23

24: 48

100 points for slowest lap. Must complete less than 50% of the race to score points.

Why? Well, I just thought it might be nice to give Yuji Ide a fair chance. After all, F1 is communist.

Wait, it's not?

Oh, okay.

1: 100

2: 25

3: 10

4: 5

5: 3

6: 1

OR

1: 512

2: 256

3: 128

4: 64

5: 32

6: 16

7: 8

8: 4

9: 2

10: 1

Fastest lap: 1

Pole: 2

At least Kubica will always get some points.

:lol: No, silly. Pole as in 2 points for the driver with the most "fortitude." Promotes ballsy overtaking.

Yeah,Honda's funny.As somebody remarked in some thread some day, their slogan "the power of dreams" sums it up. :D

Yeah,Honda's funny.As somebody remarked in some thread some day, their slogan "the power of dreams" sums it up. :D

:lol:

That's what Honda gets for trying to copy Rudy. b#####ds. :mf_tongue:

Yeah i like that, with the 1 point for fastest lap...

you can win like 16 races and still not get the champioship

Considering there are only 17 races, if you win 16 races you do get the WDC with 160 points and if a driver finishes second all races (17 x 8 = 136)

So you can win 13 races and still lose the championship....

yes a sorry, but you can win 14 and still loose.

Sorry to say but with 14 you would still win.....even if the other guy comes second in all 17 races he gets 136 while you would have 140......