Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

The Eagles

Good eveninc mein Bro, I haf finished lurkink, I haff tride too bee at zee top for many poztz zis evenink, unt zum chicky svines beat me tzoo it.

[This thread was brought to you by the National We Are Missing Schumacher Foundation.]

Hey! Back on thread. Name some TOP German bands that you've actually liked, I liked Kraftwork for a wee while. Then got bored. Anymore?

Me love a bit of Kraftwerk, especially 'Autobahn'. How about a bit of Focus? Not quite German but yodelling and prog' rock at its most delicious.

Me love a bit of Kraftwerk, especially 'Autobahn'. How about a bit of Focus? Not quite German but yodelling and prog' rock at its most delicious.

Yeah Focus, forgot about them, if ever a case was proved of crushed nuts helping to hit the high notes - that was it.

Autobhan. Well, the lyrics, "fart fart fart down zee autobahn" have always brought a smile to my face. Didn't anyone TELL them? :rolleyes: Around BMW 2002 Turbo time? I'd love that as a classic car........

Other countries? Australia have had some great bands too, who's lyrics were "I come from land down under"? Me forget.

And you guys and guyesses over the pond (USA), Argentina, Mexico etc, do/did you hear much music from Europe other than the UK?

Glenn Frey: "That record explores the under belly of success, the darker side of Paradise. Which was sort of what we were experiencing in Los Angeles at that time. So that just sort of became a metaphor for the whole world and for everything you know. And we just decided to make it Hotel California. So with a microcosm of everything else going on around us."

Give Cav the prize, he guessed it.

Australia have had some great bands too, who's lyrics were "I come from land down under"? Me forget.

Men At Work.

I've had the new CD since Tuesday and I must say that, as I predicted, the loss of Don Felder has taken away a bit of the edge. The overall sound is mellow and reminiscent of the Little River Band and America, with a few exceptions. Each song sounds fantastic and near to perfection, but nothing really new.

As is typical of the Eagles, you get a firm sense of who was behind each song. Henley's songs sound like his solo stuff with a better band backing him. The lyrics of his songs are socially aware, if a bit preachy, and filled with double-meanings. Nothing new here. Frey's contributions are, as always, slanted to the country and perhaps are the most musically mainstream; Schmidt's songs are haunting love songs; Walsh is still a quirky mix of funk and rock.

Despite there being nothing much new here, there's a certain comfort in this album. Listening to it is like putting on that comfortable shirt with the holes in it that your wife always wants to throw out and lounging around the house, spilling beer and dip on it.

Now, for every rule there is an exception and this album has two exceptions to being 'nothing new'. One song is an odd little number called 'Waiting in the Weeds'. I simply cannot describe this song. It's like nothing I've heard before and the sound touches something inside me. The other song is 'Fast Company' and it's hard to believe the guys were involved in making this track. It's all 70's funk dressed up and looking nice.

Overall, this CD is typical Eagles fare and, as always, will find certain tracks played on the rock stations, the mellow stations and the country stations. Ok, I've typed enough, time to put the CD back on 'shuffle'.

Yeah Focus, forgot about them, if ever a case was proved of crushed nuts helping to hit the high notes - that was it.

Autobhan. Well, the lyrics, "fart fart fart down zee autobahn" have always brought a smile to my face. Didn't anyone TELL them? :rolleyes: Around BMW 2002 Turbo time? I'd love that as a classic car........

Other countries? Australia have had some great bands too, who's lyrics were "I come from land down under"? Me forget.

And you guys and guyesses over the pond (USA), Argentina, Mexico etc, do/did you hear much music from Europe other than the UK?

Unfortunately there isn

I've had the new CD since Tuesday and I must say that, as I predicted, the loss of Don Felder has taken away a bit of the edge. The overall sound is mellow and reminiscent of the Little River Band and America, with a few exceptions. Each song sounds fantastic and near to perfection, but nothing really new.

As is typical of the Eagles, you get a firm sense of who was behind each song. Henley's songs sound like his solo stuff with a better band backing him. The lyrics of his songs are socially aware, if a bit preachy, and filled with double-meanings. Nothing new here. Frey's contributions are, as always, slanted to the country and perhaps are the most musically mainstream; Schmidt's songs are haunting love songs; Walsh is still a quirky mix of funk and rock.

Despite there being nothing much new here, there's a certain comfort in this album. Listening to it is like putting on that comfortable shirt with the holes in it that your wife always wants to throw out and lounging around the house, spilling beer and dip on it.

Now, for every rule there is an exception and this album has two exceptions to being 'nothing new'. One song is an odd little number called 'Waiting in the Weeds'. I simply cannot describe this song. It's like nothing I've heard before and the sound touches something inside me. The other song is 'Fast Company' and it's hard to believe the guys were involved in making this track. It's all 70's funk dressed up and looking nice.

Overall, this CD is typical Eagles fare and, as always, will find certain tracks played on the rock stations, the mellow stations and the country stations. Ok, I've typed enough, time to put the CD back on 'shuffle'.

I always have a problem with 'come back' albums. Instead of judging the music on merit, i end up questioning the motives of the artist. Not only that, when artists bring out albums at a steady rate of say, one a year, it is far easier to put their work into the context of their career as a whole. Such big gaps smack of an artisitc lull that is very rarely filled with success. There have been exceptions but normally, and it pains me to say it, some bands should sit back and be content with the career they had.

And Midnight Oil. But then you have to balance that against Joe Dolce.................

Oh, just remembered, re: German stuff: Tangerine Dream!! Saw them at Derby Assembly Rooms many years ago. Played the whole gig behind a black net curtain. Could've been anyone. Except for the accent.

I always have a problem with 'come back' albums. Instead of judging the music on merit, i end up questioning the motives of the artist. Not only that, when artists bring out albums at a steady rate of say, one a year, it is far easier to put their work into the context of their career as a whole. Such big gaps smack of an artisitc lull that is very rarely filled with success. There have been exceptions but normally, and it pains me to say it, some bands should sit back and be content with the career they had.

I hear you, Steve. This new album isn't quite like that, but perhaps it's closer than I would have liked. That being said, I do consider this a kind of musical 're-set'. A reminder, if you will, to the music industry of what well-done music should sound like. A last lesson from the old guard.

There's not much evolution in their music, but then the Eagles sprang up as a fully-evolved Homo Sapien. More polished, perhaps. When they started they were Cro Magnons with their crude tools, but still evolved. Now they are modern sapiens. They sound as perfect, musically, as you can get; no surprise considering how long they've had to master their craft. They are the Michael Schumacher to the Lewis Hamiltons.

Why did they bother to make another album then? Well, it seems to me the album is a vehicle for a few politically charged songs. The rest of the songs were, and I hesitate to say it, probably fillers. Fantastically done fillers to be sure, but certainly not the focus of the album. The Eagles, and Henley in particular, have always been a political band, apt to use their songs to make a statement. There's a sub-plot to the album as well and that goes back to my first point about it being a sort of 're-set' button to the music industry. A line from the song 'Waiting in the Weeds' clarifies this:

I've been biding time with the crows and sparrows,

While peac#cks prance and strut up on the stage.

The song itself is about many different things at once, a love song, a social commentary, a bit of nostalgia.

Yeah, I suppose that is a way of looking at it, Steve. If you are talking about Take That or somebody of that ilk, then I would have to agree with you. However, from my own point of view, when bands like this make a comeback then I just hope there something decent and enjoy it. As you know, I don't like much modern music, so this sort of thing is much more up my street.

Thinking about the Cream reunion, it probably took that long to get back together due to the acrimonious nature of the split between Jack and Ginger, aside from anything else and it took that long for the wounds/egos to heal. I don't know very much about the Eagles, but maybe it wasn't so much about motives or artistic lull and more to do with other factors?

I hear you, Steve. This new album isn't quite like that, but perhaps it's closer than I would have liked. That being said, I do consider this a kind of musical 're-set'. A reminder, if you will, to the music industry of what well-done music should sound like. A last lesson from the old guard.

There's not much evolution in their music, but then the Eagles sprang up as a fully-evolved Homo Sapien. More polished, perhaps. When they started they were Cro Magnons with their crude tools, but still evolved. Now they are modern sapiens. They sound as perfect, musically, as you can get; no surprise considering how long they've had to master their craft. They are the Michael Schumacher to the Lewis Hamiltons.

Why did they bother to make another album then? Well, it seems to me the album is a vehicle for a few politically charged songs. The rest of the songs were, and I hesitate to say it, probably fillers. Fantastically done fillers to be sure, but certainly not the focus of the album. The Eagles, and Henley in particular, have always been a political band, apt to use their songs to make a statement. There's a sub-plot to the album as well and that goes back to my first point about it being a sort of 're-set' button to the music industry. A line from the song 'Waiting in the Weeds' clarifies this:

I've been biding time with the crows and sparrows,

While peac#cks prance and strut up on the stage.

The song itself is about many different things at once, a love song, a social commentary, a bit of nostalgia.

Indeed, Sir, especially the bit in bold.

I am not an Eagles fan and so I don't know the relative merits of the album compared to earlier work, etc, but sometimes I think we tend to look back with rose coloured glasses more than we should in music. My experiences are that a really good artist/band will occasionally do a really stand out album where virtually every song is superb. More often than not the album will be very good with a few really stand out tracks. The thing is, when we look back now, we are compressing everything chronologically and we have the luxury of picking out the best stuff. However, at the time if you were a fan and the artist/band had an average album, it would probably put a slightly different perspective on your views. If the Eagles do another few albums, for example and they are all pretty good, then in 20 years you will pick the best songs from them and say their comeback was excellent! :lol:

It could be a bit of a catalyst for them, I suppose, even if they ultimately go their separate ways. I thought Clapton was pretty much just winding down these last few years, after seeing him in concert a couple of times, though it pained me to admit it. Then he did the Cream reunion and I went to see him in concert a little while after it. To say it was a good concert was a bit of an understatement. He was truly incendiary, like he hadn't been for many years before the Cream reunion and I am sure it was being back working with Jack and Ginger that started it.

Anyway, I'm waffling. At the end of the day, if the music is good let's enjoy it for what it is.

Wow! What a wondeful thread. It really opened up some interesting feedback and reminded me of a wonderful new website that allows you to share your musical memories with others and read theirs. It's fun, can be addictive, sometimes emotional, and always entertaining. Opens up possibilities for new listening pleasure as well. Can assure you there are plenty of memories of artists you know and don't know. Sound interesting? Give it a look at

http://www.jamsbio.com/

If you find it as interesting as I do share it with your friends :clap3:

Indeed, one of them being Icehouse (but no-one has ever heard of them) :)

I have, although I only really know GSL.

Wow! What a wondeful thread. It really opened up some interesting feedback and reminded me of a wonderful new website that allows you to share your musical memories with others and read theirs. It's fun, can be addictive, sometimes emotional, and always entertaining. Opens up possibilities for new listening pleasure as well. Can assure you there are plenty of memories of artists you know and don't know. Sound interesting? Give it a look at

http://www.jamsbio.com/

If you find it as interesting as I do share it with your friends :clap3:

Wow! What a wonderful post.

Did i mention that i have got some Nazi blow up dolls for sale? You can buy them now by going to http://www.grottydribblersextoys.com/damnspammers

I tried your link and it doesn't work! :(

(This is also a private message, right?)

It's okay Andres. I guess your wife was over your shoulder? You know the link works just fine.

Oh, by the way, we have sold out of the leggy blonde doll. Shall i just substitute it for the big fat MILF doll or would you like something different? Ask Paul for feedback, he's on his third. He just will not wash them afterwards.

Wow! What a wonderful post.

Did i mention that i have got some Nazi blow up dolls for sale? You can buy them now by going to http://www.grottydribblersextoys.com/damnspammers

guess you didn't appreciate my post--sorry.

Let's talk about The Eagles for a moment then. Their songs are very much apart of my memories and my favorites are Lying Eyes and Take It to the Limit. Both resonant with meaning for me now as much as when they were hits.

guess you didn't appreciate my post--sorry.

Let's talk about The Eagles for a moment then. Their songs are very much apart of my memories and my favorites are Lying Eyes and Take It to the Limit. Both resonant with meaning for me now as much as when they were hits.

Drib likes your post just fine; if he didn't, I'd wager he would have ignored it. Welcome to the Pirahna Club.

Digging in my garden is listening to Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged performances. So I was only 9 when it came out, and I didn't start listening to Pearl Jam until I was 12 or 13, but it still brings back good memories. Eddie Vedder > Kurt Cobain.

Nirvana unplugged All Apologies > just about anything.

It is good, I'll give it that. Nirvana's a great band. I think the greatness of Cobain is really seen in the fact that every Nirvana cover just plain sucks.

EDIT: I just listened to it (I've already heard it a few times, but not recently)...it's a lot better than "good."

On the subject of 90s bands going acoustic, David Grohl (Nirvana, Foos)'s acoustic version of "Everlong" is pretty good, too. Not great, but I like it.