Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piotr

Bias Against Or For Hamilton

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...3-23209,00.html

This is NOT about Hamilton (again). This is a follow up to my last topic where I alleged that it's the British press against the rest of the World when it comes to Hamilton coverage. In turn, I was accused of being biased, unreasonable, and making too much of it. In fact, some of you suggested that it's only Spanish (pro-Alonso) and Polish (pro-Kubica) press that has anything against Hamilton.

Well, googling news about F1 I run into THAT little gem from AUSTRALIA. It seems to me it's a rather level and unbiased view of Hamilton in F1 to date. Interestingly, the article seems to indicate (my opinion) that it's the British media that has a bias for Hamilton (and, automatically, against his opponents) rather then the non-British press having bias against Hamilton.

Note- the article is NOT critical of Hamilton per se, just simply attempts to evaluate and comment on his non-technical skills and his influence on F1 as a whole. So, either yawn and ignore, or comment, but please, don't accuse ME of a bias - I simply found it interesting that my assumptions regarding the "press war of Hamilton" appear to be validated, at least in that one article.

Interesting read Piotr. A shame most media articles don't read like this.

Interesting read Piotr. A shame most media articles don't read like this.

Agreed - I always prefer facts to editorials - just let ME make up my mind...

that was a good article I agree.

As I see it LH is a very very talented driver with a mind that has the ability to weigh up things as and when they happen very quick.

Whether you are or not an LH fan you MUST recognise that this guy has talent to get the most out of the car he is given, and with the ability to emulate MS in making decissions that will provide him, LH, with the best possible outcome in a race.

To me that ability to evaluate the situation, know the rules (like when he was stuck in the sand he kept the engine running for the crane to lift him back on the circuit, a smart use of the rules that stood at the time) to his very good qualifying times for that last minute dash for pole.

I realy think that a lot of people just don't like to see a winner! even in business people that are prosperous are frowned upon ? Why, I have no idea.

I do not have ONE particular favourite driver in F1, well apart from Mark Weber, but I would LOVE to see LH win the Drivers Championship this year, to create a record, and to enforce the fact that he does have the talent.

pretty good article. concerning the who's biased debate:

to use not one but two idioms...

6 of one half a dozen of the other AND it's a vicious circle... *roar*

why? - well, when the brit press gets behind a successful brit and starts tooting their little trumpets it p**ses the foreign press off and they are more likely to run articles that say that the brit in question is good but, calm down, he's not that great. The more they do this, the more the brit press then toot about the sportsperson being the champion to end all champions blah blah blah.

my opinion - he looks pretty good. let's see after a few seasons how he compares to the historical greats after we see him in a not so competative McLaren, or after someone else steps up their game.

either way one side will be saying to the other 'told you so' and neither of them is sensible enough to be completey unbiased, or just to report what's happening and quit with the editorialising.

I do remember one thing from my GCSE history - no account is unbiased. Opinion, Judgement or Fact - any source is always a c#cktail of the three - even facts are selected for a purpose.

why? - well, when the brit press gets behind a successful brit and starts tooting their little trumpets it p**ses the foreign press off and they are more likely to run articles that say that the brit in question is good but, calm down, he's not that great. The more they do this, the more the brit press then toot about the sportsperson being the champion to end all champions blah blah blah.

my opinion - he looks pretty good. let's see after a few seasons how he compares to the historical greats after we see him in a not so competative McLaren, or after someone else steps up their game.

either way one side will be saying to the other 'told you so' and neither of them is sensible enough to be completey unbiased, or just to report what's happening and quit with the editorialising.

I do remember one thing from my GCSE history - no account is unbiased. Opinion, Judgement or Fact - any source is always a c#cktail of the three - even facts are selected for a purpose.

Well said, and very true.

Don't worry, if Hamilton becomes champion, the British press will put him on a pedestal for a while, but they will knock him off it just as fast. These days the press (of any nation) isn't content with simply reporting the news. They actively try to create news. They poke sticks at personalities in the news to get a reaction, then report, with barely-hidden glee, on that reaction.

I prefer editorials; at least they don't pretend to be factual or unbiased.

:rolleyes: It would be pretty silly to take one (not very good) article as proof that most of the F1 world has something against Hamilton. The far better informed aussie Mark Webber said today that Hamilton deserves the title.

Yes I agree, there are only different versions of the truth. It's just that some biases are more correct than others.

Don't worry, if Hamilton becomes champion, the British press will put him on a pedestal for a while, but they will knock him off it just as fast. These days the press (of any nation) isn't content with simply reporting the news. They actively try to create news. They poke sticks at personalities in the news to get a reaction, then report, with barely-hidden glee, on that reaction.

I prefer editorials; at least they don't pretend to be factual or unbiased.

Many posters should read your post at least three times in a row before posting here. We would save ourselves many stupid threads so we could foucs on the bigger picture.

For example: Merino turtleneck or wool cardigan sweaters?

Choose carefully.

Many posters should read your post at least three times in a row before posting here. We would save ourselves many stupid threads so we could foucs on the bigger picture.

For example: Merino turtleneck or wool cardigan sweaters?

Choose carefully.

Hate sweaters. Cardigan <_<

:rolleyes: It would be pretty silly to take one (not very good) article as proof that most of the F1 world has something against Hamilton. The far better informed aussie Mark Webber said today that Hamilton deserves the title.

I bow to your unsurpassed penchant for overstatement (a sign of your own bias is enclosed within your own parenthesis). Nobody claims that one Aussie article proves anything. I merely pointed out that articles like this begin to pop up at different places around the World. Add to this the alleged cheer of non-Brits at the China GP, and the pattern begins to emerge (can you tell I read Critchton a lot?? :wink2: ).

Sorry if I overstated your case. Glad we agree your post proved nothing! :lol:

Articles are popping up which take all different sides of the story. Personally I prefer to look at what people like Webber, Piquet and Lauda have been saying recently. I maintain the article was pretty uninformative.

Personally I prefer to look at what people like Webber ... have been saying recently.

:lol: There are few people I would prefer to listen to less.

(Not that that has any bearing on the points either of you are making.)